• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Klon-based drive!

TakaraGold

Experienced
Hi guys,
This is one thing that has been hoping for the Axe, a Klon pedal, based on either the original Centaur, or the newer versions by different brands (the Wampler Tumnus for example). This is a very classic drive pedal that has been heard in tons of magnificent albums, and it's still in some of the best musicians pedalboards (just mentioning Jeff Beck). Is there already a pedal that is based on this that I didn't read or learn about? Klon in front of a Plexi, we needz! Hahaha. Thanks guys as usual for the outstanding work.

Leo Z

ibanezfreak4

Power User
This is one thing that has been hoping for the Axe, a Klon pedal, based on either the original Centaur, or the newer versions by different brands (the Wampler Tumnus for example).
Grab some popcorn:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/sign-this-petition-to-model-klon-centaur.101056/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wish-romeo-rose-signature-klon.101136/

NOTE: Mods didn't mean to restart the kicking of a dead horse or broken record, used qualitative data to educate ;)

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
So easy to dial in something similar. Really. In fact, you can have any flavor of Klonish drive you want. I tried a couple variations, and was really happy with the results.

I had previously been working to dial in something close to the cmatmods Butah drive, just using my ears and what I remember when I owned that awesome pedal. I eventually figured it out... (but I didn't save the block!). Thankfully, once I started learning what the settings do, it became easier to create my own drives.

Klon? It's in there.

Tailstop

Inspired
Sigh. Use the fet drive. Change from fet to si diode. Gain on about 6. Mid control to +1. High cut to about 6500. Level to taste.
BWWAAAAHA!! Sim, you're the king. I just did EXACTLY that and found yet another kickass and usable drive.

Tailstop

Inspired
Hey, that fricken nutJob did have a good point. The Klon is a pretty killer pedal. Personally, other than not being able to dial in a Tech21 sansamp sound I have never been at a loss for substitutions and a desire to make my own drive and amp options...

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Ah true, but unfortunately he tainted the Klon so few of us can think of a Klon without thinking of HIM. Takes the fun out of it.
:)
Pauly

Hey, that fricken nutJob did have a good point. The Klon is a pretty killer pedal. Personally, other than not being able to dial in a Tech21 sansamp sound I have never been at a loss for substitutions and a desire to make my own drive and amp options...

simeon

Axe-Master
BWWAAAAHA!! Sim, you're the king. I just did EXACTLY that and found yet another kickass and usable drive.
you can thank M@ for that one. i use this drive all the time to knock an amp that's on the edge of breakup into mid gain territory and also as a slight boost for leads. depending on the amp, you can also play with the low cut parameter if you need to tighten the bass a bit.

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
I just read the other thread and saw the video. I can only say WOW :)

That said, I could use a few more drives modelled. We have 240+ amp models at our disposal. And ~20 drive pedals. There are some good ones, but I would not mind to see a few more of the iconic ones - no one is more iconic than the Klon. That said, I find that the ZenMaster and the tube driver 3 knob can fulfill the purposes, I used to use my EHX soul food (Klon clone) for.

I am no tone wizard, I would never had known where to start to get to either of the Klon tones mentioned by simeon/Matt and iaresee in the other thread.

ibanezfreak4

Power User
I am no tone wizard, I would never had known where to start to get to either of the Klon tones mentioned by simeon/Matt and iaresee in the other thread.
What I find awesome about the FAS products is that sometimes you don't need a drive pedal. When I build my presets sometimes I make them based on X/Y parameter of the Amp model's tone that I'm seeking. For example a lot of my patches use the Two-Rock (2 Stone) J35 amp sim. Amp X is the J35-2 with less breakup and gain, then Amp Y is the J35-1 with more gain and a hint more open tone for leads. My point is that there are a couple of different ways to achieve what you want to do with the AFX or AX8, it's just how you get there. Personally I am using LESS Drives now-a-days to fulfill the higher gain territories. Try it out, you might discover the same thing.

Ultimately we don't neeeeed a Klon to get that sound, you just have to tweak what we already have to your liking. I'm in the same boat with you though, that ZenMaster is clutch ;) . Try the ZenMaster out with the Two-Stone J35-2 and a 2x12 cab, I'm confident you'll enjoy it ;) .

Top Bottom