Kitchen Sink Presets - What Do You Do?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
I've personally not got this built yet, but will likely build one soon. Am hoping that it will be possible to include a clean, crunch, lead and boost lead/delay scene, but select various effects without overdoing any CPU usage.

I've heard that the Band Commander is a good place to begin with a clean amp, as well as the John Petrucci JPC+ clean model.

What do you folks prefer for your kitchen sink presets, and if possible, could you provide some screenshots of your FM9-Edit for reference?

Last edited:
going to follow this thread since I’ve never made a kitchen sink preset so itll be interesting to read about. But what would be the advantage of a kitchen sink preset vs. a preset where each scene uses a different amp channel with a different amp and effects assigned to different channels as well. Could also use an expression pedal to alter gain/volume for each amp channel. That’s what I’ve been thinking about doing

I have used various amps for this, but have been using the 59 Bassman model for quite a while now.

Sometimes I use the CA3+ Clean and sometimes the Texas Star Clean.

My "base" sound is not a "clean" clean, but that's up to your taste.

Lately I've started playing with using different amp models for rhythm and lead sounds as well.

I'll try to post a screenshot later...

I have used various amps for this, but have been using the 59 Bassman model for quite a while now.

Sometimes I use the CA3+ Clean and sometimes the Texas Star Clean.

My "base" sound is not a "clean" clean, but that's up to your taste.

Lately I've started playing with using different amp models for rhythm and lead sounds as well.

I'll try to post a screenshot later...
My own experience has been that super clean amp sounds have a tough time cutting through the live mix. I get past this by adding just a little bit of drive to get some hair.

going to follow this thread since I’ve never made a kitchen sink preset so itll be interesting to read about. But what would be the advantage of a kitchen sink preset vs. a preset where each scene uses a different amp channel with a different amp and effects assigned to different channels as well. Could also use an expression pedal to alter gain/volume for each amp channel. That’s what I’ve been thinking about doing
I think that if a kitchen sink preset were built, one might select the FX layout and key in on what they would or wouldn't use with their preset. Cooper Carter also did a video which mentions using an expression pedal for blending clean and dirty amps, effectively switching between the two with the sweep of the pedal. I'll see if I can find that for you...yup, check about 15:05 for the description of blending clean/dirty amps...

My own experience has been that super clean amp sounds have a tough time cutting through the live mix. I get past this by adding just a little bit of drive to get some hair.
My feeling is that a modest clean boost prior to the clean amp, or an input boost within the amp itself helps cut thru. That, or a null filter block after amp/cab for 3 or 4 dB boost.

Last edited:
Check out the preset Cooper used in his latest video explaining Scene Ignore. You won't be able to load the preset, but it covers a lot of ground that you could use as a basis; actually, I think it's based on the Petrucci Rig preset, and even though I'm partial to the Majesty he used in the video, I think a preset like that would make any guitar sound great, while giving a fair number of sounds.
I believe, once you've determined what effects you want to string up, the challenge will be in determining how you want to set up your switching options, which has to be thought of in terms of the music you'll be playing in a live setting.

Check out the preset Cooper used in his latest video explaining Scene Ignore. You won't be able to load the preset, but it covers a lot of ground that you could use as a basis; actually, I think it's based on the Petrucci Rig preset, and even though I'm partial to the Majesty he used in the video, I think a preset like that would make any guitar sound great, while giving a fair number of sounds.
I believe, once you've determined what effects you want to string up, the challenge will be in determining how you want to set up your switching options, which has to be thought of in terms of the music you'll be playing in a live setting.
Although scene ignore is not yet available on FM9, CC does go thru a variety of items he selects as his preferred settings. I've only got the FM9 currently and am not planning on upgrading to a FC6 for FC12. Not cost effective nor good for space constraints in my case.

It might, however, be wise to select 1 preset with 4 scenes and work so that my layout also include switchable effects I/O. I might need to set that up within a separate layout, but realize that also putting a bank switch up/down for specific presets might be tricky. Don't want to say "I'll have a look, later," but this may be my only reality possible.

Last edited:
Well,

Per Cooper Carter's suggested acoustic video, I've built an acoustic preset with a 3rd party IR (Sigma 3 Martin D45 IR) that fits the bill. I've currently added a Tube Pre as my amp with several effects blocks CC suggested that embellish the overall tone and sound of the dry signal.

IIRC, I utilized a Tube Pre, Sigma 3 Martin D45 PZ 1 1a and 2x12 Impulse Balanced 1a IR, a GEQ, Enhance, a Multi-Comp, Chorus, Delay, & Reverb.

The Delay and Reverb are set at about 20% or just a touch higher...only need a mild wash of delay and reverb...you can follow CC's video suggestions for this and produce several scenes which will improve your acoustic tone and sound measurably.

Last edited:
(2cents), my kitchen sink consists of two brit800 amp's (one clean one dirt) and a swath of effects up until 75% to 80% CPU usage... basically as much I can squeeze in. Very satisfied with results i might add...

(2cents), my kitchen sink consists of two brit800 amp's (one clean one dirt) and a swath of effects up until 75% to 80% CPU usage... basically as much I can squeeze in. Very satisfied with results i might add...
If possible, post a screenshot of your preset. I'll take a look and see if something can be gleaned from the info.

If possible, post a screenshot of your preset. I'll take a look and see if something can be gleaned from the info.
sure, here you go and the sysx as well, be warned its needing the next fw to calm down sluggish response in fm9 edit.
1647986807786.png

Attachments

• KS-JCM800.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Thx,
I think it would be possible to find more economical use of the effects blocks, and pare the cab to a single block. I might not need both chorus and phaser, but might keep the phaser. Pitch & Drive, of course. I might put delays in parallel and set these to 100%. Reverb, yup. If these can reduce the CPU use, it might be a more stable preset with reduced latency. Might take a look at a kitchen sink build Wednesday.

As an infant in both modelers and effects in general, not sure how much my feedback is worth, but I just built my kitchen sink this weekend and I am having a blast with it! I will note that I am on the FXIII, not the FM9, but I believe most of what I did would port over just fine. The toughest decisions for me was how to set up the foot controls, which I am at an advantage with here using the FC-12. I have one preset and in that preset, I have 8 scenes for clean, wah, rotary, drive, thick delay, thick reverb, lead and a synth added scene. So that is 8 of my switches, then I have the other 4 as tuner, effects, tone boost (using filter directly before output for a boost) and "screen 2" (there are some hold functions as well). I call this "screen 1" where I have all of these. Screen 2 has not been completed yet, but I intend on including channel switches (dialed in for different guitars and/or sounds from different amps/cabs, etc), tuner, screen 1, effects, boost and maybe a switch or two to access other "non kitchen sink" presets (like a nice jazz tone which I only use occasionally). Still have to update my effects layout as well to ensure when I hit that switch, I am accessing the effects I want/use. Best of luck on your sink!

...The toughest decisions for me was how to set up the foot controls, which I am at an advantage with here using the FC-12. I have one preset and in that preset, I have 8 scenes for clean, wah, rotary, drive, thick delay, thick reverb, lead and a synth added scene. So that is 8 of my switches, then I have the other 4 as tuner, effects, tone boost (using filter directly before output for a boost) and "screen 2" (there are some hold functions as well). I call this "screen 1" where I have all of these. Screen 2 has not been completed yet, but I intend on including channel switches (dialed in for different guitars and/or sounds from different amps/cabs, etc), tuner, screen 1, effects, boost and maybe a switch or two to access other "non kitchen sink" presets (like a nice jazz tone which I only use occasionally)...

Thanks, MDW! I'm seriously thinking that I could sacrifice one of my FM9 layouts and use that exclusively as a template for kitchen sink presets, if one might not be enough. Though it may be possible to put things together which are the seedlings that I'd try to nurture along in due course. We'll see. I've got things to do offline tonight, and will see if I can work with the kitchen sink preset tomorrow.

Thanks, MDW! I'm seriously thinking that I could sacrifice one of my FM9 layouts and use that exclusively as a template for kitchen sink presets, if one might not be enough. Though it may be possible to put things together which are the seedlings that I'd try to nurture along in due course. We'll see. I've got things to do offline tonight, and will see if I can work with the kitchen sink preset tomorrow.
I have no qualms about "sacrificing a layout" considering I could easily recover the default layouts with a factory preset! Anyway, keep in mind I DON'T KNOW SH!T!! And that is NOT an understatement, just saying what I am doing and works for me ;~))

I have no qualms about "sacrificing a layout" considering I could easily recover the default layouts with a factory preset! Anyway, keep in mind I DON'T KNOW SH!T!! And that is NOT an understatement, just saying what I am doing and works for me ;~))
It's OK, MDW,
I did a little thinking prior to my discussion and am up on my reading of the manual. I'll provide screenshots of what my modifications to my layouts include, so you'll have an idea of what was done.

Here's how I've re-worked my layouts:

The most notable thing is, I only use 4 scenes. That translates to not needing Scenes More in Layout 4. What I did was to modify layout 1 (Presets) to include my user presets thru User Preset 395. (from 392 to 395, the user presets are still empty).

Layout 1 include Scenes 1 thru 4, a Home (Perform / Layout 7) / Hold Reveal switch, and to the right side, 4 switches that consist of effects, both toggle and hold, for 8 effects altogether.

Layout 2 contains Scenes 1 thru 4, a Scenes and CS 1 switch, FX / Looper, a PRST/FX1 (Layout 1) switch, & a HOME (Layout 7/ Perform).

You can see the remaining layouts I've uploaded via Imgur.

In the future, it will be possible for me to modify Layout 3 (Scenes More) to something more useable, since I don't typically utilize more than 4 scenes at one time. Likewise with Layout 8 (Utilities); will likely modify some of these to be more inclusive of the Utility functions, and reduce there number of CS currently displayed to CS 1 thru CS 3.

SOKuWnk.png

LRQZjCV.png

5ak4z9R.png

Av411oq.png

4YaS4Mc.png

VKgnUWf.png

urYMvJj.png

xDkyiRd.png

Here's how I've re-worked my layouts:

The most notable thing is, I only use 4 scenes. That translates to not needing Scenes More in Layout 4. What I did was to modify layout 1 (Presets) to include my user presets thru User Preset 395. (from 392 to 395, the user presets are still empty).

Layout 1 include Scenes 1 thru 4, a Home (Perform / Layout 7) / Hold Reveal switch, and to the right side, 4 switches that consist of effects, both toggle and hold, for 8 effects altogether.

Layout 2 contains Scenes 1 thru 4, a Scenes and CS 1 switch, FX / Looper, a PRST/FX1 (Layout 1) switch, & a HOME (Layout 7/ Perform).

You can see the remaining layouts I've uploaded via Imgur.

In the future, it will be possible for me to modify Layout 3 (Scenes More) to something more useable, since I don't typically utilize more than 4 scenes at one time. Likewise with Layout 8 (Utilities); will likely modify some of these to be more inclusive of the Utility functions, and reduce there number of CS currently displayed to CS 1 thru CS 3.

SOKuWnk.png

LRQZjCV.png

5ak4z9R.png

Av411oq.png

4YaS4Mc.png

VKgnUWf.png

urYMvJj.png

xDkyiRd.png
Awesome, looks like you are well along on the path to your dream tap dance model! Ready, Set, PLAY!!

Awesome, looks like you are well along on the path to your dream tap dance model! Ready, Set, PLAY!!
Thanks, MDW,
Not sure what to do with Scenes More Layout 3. I really don't use Scenes More and am happy with only 4 scenes in Layout 2 Scenes. LO 4 & 5, definitely need effects, and 8 is my CS and utility switch layout. Maybe something that would allow me to scroll thought the factory preset banks like Layout 1 was originally designed to do...and set it up so that the banks contain 5 presets at a time, with BANK +1 & BANK -1 switches, and HOME & SCENES switches. Yeah, that might be the ticket...

Back
Top Bottom