Kirk Hammett tribute! FW19, factory ML Sound Lab IR's & JC120 tonematch. With Preset!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Kirk Hammett is one of my all-time favorite guitar players in the world.
I've learned so much from his playing, solo's and sounds.
I don't think that there is another guitarist out there who's solo's I all know by heart!
I thought this deserved a little tribute!

It started with a preset with 4 scenes that I've been working on to jam on with my ESP LTD KH-602.
This turned out pretty awesome so I thought I'd record this little clip and share the preset with you guys:

I didn't make the preset to be 'scientifically accurate' but I wanted the tones to have a similar sound and feel to them compared to the black album/black album tour-ish.
There wasn't a good JC120 IR in the Axe FX I think so I made a tonematch from the Guitar Rig 5 JC120 amp/cab.
I thought that sounded pretty good.

Here is a short description of the Scenes:

1:Tight crunchy rhythm tone using the Mesa MKIIC+ amp model. This tone reminds me a lot of the early 90 tones.
2:Lead tone with more midrange and some mild delay. (Kick the wah on in this preset, I tried to get the Wah sound close to Kirk's wah sound)
3.Clean tone with JC120 GR5 tonematch.
4.Clean tone with Chorus.

I hope you enjoy this!
Keep in mind I used a guitar with EMG pick-ups, if you want this preset to sound close use EMG's.

You know what would be really cool?
If more guys make clips of their favorite Metallica solo's with this preset and post them here!

Attachments

• Kirk Hammett KH-602 ML.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 358
Sounds great as always Jon. I'll do "Fade to Black" for ya tonight after work, maybe more, depends on time and if I need to edit the preset. :playful:

Great!
Can't wait to hear it.

Here ya go. This is your preset, straight up, non altered. I only Panned the guitars 30% and changed the wah to autoengage, and on ext 3, that is all.
Recorded via XLR analog out's into Behringer X32 into Albleton 9 via USB @ 44.1Khz.

Intro - Taylor 12 string acoustic (plugged in, not mic'd), Scene 4. ESP E-II M-II, Scene 2

Outro - ESP E-II M-II. Scene 1 for rhythm, scene 2 for lead. Bass is factory preset "Bassman about 2 Explode" but I'm using a custom IR, played on an Ibanez bass.
The rhythm guitar and bass are just loops.... yea.. I'm lazy.

Here ya go. This is your preset, straight up, non altered. I only Panned the guitars 30% and changed the wah to autoengage, and on ext 3, that is all.
Recorded via XLR analog out's into Behringer X32 into Albleton 9 via USB @ 44.1Khz.

Intro - Taylor 12 string acoustic (plugged in, not mic'd), Scene 4. ESP E-II M-II, Scene 2

Outro - ESP E-II M-II. Scene 1 for rhythm, scene 2 for lead. Bass is factory preset "Bassman about 2 Explode" but I'm using a custom IR, played on an Ibanez bass.
The rhythm guitar and bass are just loops.... yea.. I'm lazy.

Awesome dude!
These tones seem to play nice with your guitars too!
Sick!

I've played a bit with your tones Jon, thanks.
Couldnt record as I was just playing with my headphones and I couldnt tell exactly how it would have sounded. I was quite far from your recordings though. I play on a Les Paul Custom, that must be why :)

Nice Job Jon, As a long time time Metallica fan, I can safely say that your approximations of classic Black Album material, are spot on for me.
Maybe not EXACT, but who cares, I hope no one comes in here and over analyzes it death, lol. Nice playing, your have a hold on Kirk's
licks for sure. \m/

Awesome sounds Jon! I think I have an idea how you could sound even more like Hammet. 1) Play left handed guitar and 2) Have two wah wahs going at all times. ;) J/K!

Good job bro as always!

Amazing.

You played the Unforgiven solo better than Kirk has ever played it since he recorded the original.

I love his work with Metallica, and though I don't rate his playing much at all (his vibrato is horrible IMO and he uses wah far too much), Metallica wouldn't be the same without him. Looking forward to the new album, if it ever surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom