Kinman or Zexcoils for a Strat?

iaresee

Administrator
I can't take the noise from my Schecter any more but I really want to use it live. Going to do a full pickguard swap with new, noiseless pickups.

I'm trying to decide between a set of Kinman Mayer set (3 The Scoops) with their snazzy K9 wiring harness or a Zexcoil Convertible Set with a Kit #7 harness.

Anyone used both, can offer up opinions on them?

I have a set of Impersonator FAT 50 in my strat and they're wonderful, the first noiseless I've heard that really sound like a SC, way better than older kinmans imho.
Haven't tried the zexcoils though, I see they're getting good reviews too

That is a really tough choice.

My experience with Kinmans was very positive. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But, people say the same thing about Zexcoils.

I'm sort of ready to go completely noiseless again, too, which sucks because my guitars all have excellent pups. (Note to self: Hit Lottery...)

That is a really tough choice.

My experience with Kinmans was very positive. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But, people say the same thing about Zexcoils.

I'm sort of ready to go completely noiseless again, too, which sucks because my guitars all have excellent pups. (Note to self: Hit Lottery...)
Yea, I figure this is a choice between two good things. I'm leaning towards the Zexcoils right now. Only because they're a little cheaper.

And more readily available, I believe (unless Kinman has finally gotten USA distribution).

Yea, I figure this is a choice between two good things. I'm leaning towards the Zexcoils right now. Only because they're a little cheaper.

I went Dimarzio Areas and have been thrilled with them. Bought the solderless prewired pickguard, just screwed in the two wires and Bob's yer uncle. Put them in both my Strats, I was so happy with the first set.

Got the first via a coupon at Musicians Friend for a total of $230 shipped, and when I got the second Strat I got them to price match the deal I got on the first. :)

Also, just bought Area Ts (bridge & neck) to stick in my Schecter Tele...

Had Kinmans in a strat for about ten years. Tried a set of Zexcoils. They came out after one day. The Kinmans went back in. That was two years ago. The Zexcoils are still in a box somewhere.

I really want to try some of the new Kinmans...especially the P90 noiseless.

I have kinmans in an American strat and they are exactly as advertised. Very quiet and strat sounding. For sure there is no perfect pickup or guitar. They all sound different and will inspire you in different ways.
For me noise if very frustrating and the Kinman Pickups were the closest to the perfect strat sound with no noise I could find.

Hmmm I'm in exactly the same boat; want to replace my neck/middle single coils in my HSS Suhr and am leaning toward Kinmans or Zexcoils....would also like to hear what people thought of them.

Kinmans with K9 harness in my 70's Strat.

I was a little underwhelmed at first compared to the stock 70's pickups.

But they have grown on me and now I really like them. For me, they work better with the Fractal that with real amps.

Depending on what you like and your current pickups, the Kinmans sacrifice a little quack in positions 2 & 4. I'm not sure if this is just the way it is with all noiseless pickups. But on my guitar the difference was really noticeable compared to the vintage pickups.

Original Kinmans ( 10+ years) on my HSS strat. Seymor Duncan at the bridge with a 1/2 tap. 180pf bleed cap across the master pot.
Chimey, good output, clean, and great SNR. All soldered in.

The Kinmans were good enough for Gary Moore. That's enough to make me want them for my Strat.

@4:20, not much audio example sadly...

I can't take the noise from my Schecter any more but I really want to use it live. Going to do a full pickguard swap with new, noiseless pickups.

I'm trying to decide between a set of Kinman Mayer set (3 The Scoops) with their snazzy K9 wiring harness or a Zexcoil Convertible Set with a Kit #7 harness.

Anyone used both, can offer up opinions on them?
Kinman's sounded great in one of my Strats but terrible in one of the others. I now use Zexcoil's for live in my Strats and Tele! Call Scott at Zexcoil and ask for his new Z-Core pickups(not advertise yet but he will make them for you. IMHO they are his best pickups yet!

Back
Top Bottom