King Crimson Fall Tour 2017

Finally got to see one of my favorite prog bands of all time last night in Dallas. I got into them a bit late, during the Discipline-Beat-TOAPP era, but I've been a big fan ever since. If you get a chance, it's well worth attending. I waxed a bit poetic in the review I posted on FB:

A theater unto itself, a King Crimson concert is a humbling display of power, precision, and passion. At times subtle and delicate, but unfailingly relentless and implacable all the while. I sat in bewilderment, my attention passing quickly from musician to instrument and back again, barely able to keep up with their performances. Moving from joy to sadness, from confusion to clarity, from gobsmacked to gleeful, I was blown away by this night. These world class musicians were a sight to behold and brought a wondrous spiritual rhapsody, of a kind I've never quite witnessed before. Thank you, gentlemen, thank you indeed.

Set 1:
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Pictures of a City
Cirkus
Neurotica
Fallen Angel
Epitaph
Discipline
Red
Islands
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

Set 2:
Drumson Outbreak of Wonderment, Joy & Bliss Arising
Easy Money
Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light (Part I)
Lizard
Moonchild
The Court of the Crimson King
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:
21st Century Schizoid Man

Saw them 3 times last week--Friends & Family(& DGM 1000 Club Members) show on Wednesday in Austin, Thursday in Austin(front row!), and the Saturday Dallas show. Absolutely incredible. Not to be missed.

They played "Breathless" off Fripp's first solo album at both the Austin shows, but not Dallas (Red was the substitute).

I was at the austin show and they blew me away! The 3 drummers were amazing! I saw a picture of Fripp with Axe-Edit open on his laptop behind him. These guys are not to be missed!!

Current lineup:

Pat Mastelotto--Drums
Gavin Harrison--Drums
Jeremy Stacey--Drums/Keys
Robert Fripp--Guitar/Keys
Jakko Jakszyk--Guitar
Mel Collins--Woodwinds
Tony Levin--Bass/Stick
Chris Gibson--Keys(replaced Bill Rieflin from last leg of tour)

And a review of the second Austin show (Breathless was left off the setlist in error--came right after Discipline)

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2017-10-20/king-crimson-kills/

Last edited:
I wish they were doing some stuff from Thrak.

That was my favorite Crim album and lineup.

It was the metal album that I always knew was lurking inside Bill Bruford but never surfaced until then. One of the most criminally underrated drummers, he is.

I saw them this summer at the Greek in LA and was fortunate to sit very close. Very fun to experience live - Gavin Harrison is a great drummer! They let you take photos at the end, so here's one...

IMG_3129.JPG

Yeah, I was front row in front of Gavin/Robert at the Denver show in June and front row Thursday night right between Pat and Jeremy. Interesting how different the sound is and your perspective depending on where you sit. IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3130.JPG

Haven't seen this tour - but have seen them 5 or 6 times in my life - always amazing - my only complaint is Fripps lack stage "presence" !! ha ha

Back
Top Bottom