Killswitch engage sound question

kevrock

Experienced
Just wondering how would you guys recommend going about getting the song This is Absolution from killswitch engage. It sounds so gainy but dry and articulate, I know he's uses 5150 and framus in the studio just wonder on the ultra what would get me close thanks

send from Droid

I would say its within the 808 - 5150 - highpass-amp-peq-cab-lowpass-EQ type patch. 8)

Last edited:
I don't remember where I read this but a framus cab with v30s had a speaker frequency at 75Hz so that might be a good start. The 808 drive 0 tone 10 should also make it sound dry but with the 5150 drive at 4.33 it should still be gainy. If you want some good fill try the r121 Mic on the cab but take out some low end with a peq. I'd have to listen to the song if you want me to try to clone it :) that'll be at like 9pm pacific time? I'm a Californian so I think that's right.

I don't remember where I read this but a framus cab with v30s had a speaker frequency at 75Hz so that might be a good start. The 808 drive 0 tone 10 should also make it sound dry but with the 5150 drive at 4.33 it should still be gainy. If you want some good fill try the r121 Mic on the cab but take out some low end with a peq. I'd have to listen to the song if you want me to try to clone it :) that'll be at like 9pm pacific time? I'm a Californian so I think that's right.

Cool thanks for the info and if you would listen to it and help me that would be awesome

send from Droid

High pass basically means It's killing off low frequencies and letting only the highs stay and low pass means kills highs and let's low stay. Hence high pass and low pass. You can find it on the advanced setting of the amp block. For the high pass put it at 80 Hz since that's what the bass needs more than a guitar does anyway. You can adjust it higher but not too much. If you're getting to 300 Hz then you may wanna turn down the bass and thump parameters. Thump definitely first. High pass is really just to get rid of the high end fuzz and icepicks so adjust until it has enough air but no bad icepicks or fizz. You can add that air in the cab section later anyways :D

You know I took a listen to that song and it reminds me more of the recto new than the 6505 because it had smoother gain even though it was dry. I'll still try to make a patch like it for comparison tonight though. For now, try nolly's recto patch that I uploaded on the black dahlia murder nocturnal tone thread :) that sounds pretty good. I'd give you the syx. File directly embedded but I can't drag and drop with my phone :lol

You know I took a listen to that song and it reminds me more of the recto new than the 6505 because it had smoother gain even though it was dry. I'll still try to make a patch like it for comparison tonight though. For now, try nolly's recto patch that I uploaded on the black dahlia murder nocturnal tone thread :) that sounds pretty good. I'd give you the syx. File directly embedded but I can't drag and drop with my phone :lol

Sweet if you could post those setting it would be awesome. I really liked tour rectojent and samball settings they thought me a lot about getting rid of fizz

send from Droid

Sweet if you could post those setting it would be awesome. I really liked tour rectojent and samball settings they thought me a lot about getting rid of fizz

send from Droid
thanks man! Also, my bad on the lag, been working lately and my sleep has been restless but I'll get the patch down today :)

studiokse5150.jpg

This is a pic they had posted when in the studio before showing the 5150 settings. It shows them going in to the low input so I would suggest not using a boost (unless you have lower output pups) because the AxeFX's 5150 is the high input but run a 808 with tone at 10 or so like Sam said. They also ran mesa recto cabs on that album I think and adam d swears by the shure sm57 in the studio so try that. If you're gonna record that tone put a high pass and low pass on it like said before as well. Best settings for those is High pass at 130hz and low pass 7.1khz. Also The AxeWiki says the V30 impulse is or was based on a Framus cab so try that with a 57 or blend with a 121.

Hope you get some good results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom