KIlling Joke & <Pig> - Irving Plaza, NYC -9/12/2018

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I went to this last night with my nephew. Killing Joke put on an amazing show.

It was a night where Jaz's vocals just a little pitchy and the band was incredibly tight. Jaz didn't do any extended rants, they just played and played very tight and well. Geordie Walker's ES-295 through the Framus Dragon amp and cabs was a quasi-religious experience as usual. Youth playing his Rickenbacker through an Ashdown 8x10 rig was clear, punchy, and full without sounding nasally or tubby (makes me want to capture one of these cabs).

While it was cool that they played some of the new material, I wish they would have selected some different popular songs from the back catalog. For example except for the last US tour, they never play anything from the Extremities album live anymore, which is my favorite album. It's like VH with DLR avoiding Fair Warning material. They put on a great show.

<Pig> was a strange opening act. The lead singer has a great timbre and control to his voice as well as puts on a good show. Drummer was OK. The guitar player used an SG through a Kemper; his tone was not bad but it was very generic for that Ministry style Industrial Dance music.

This is the 2nd touring opening band that I saw in recent months that, rather than tour with a bass player and keys, instead they played to their backing tracks. It definitely sucks some of the life and energy out of the performace IMHO when band members are tied to backing tracks that arent even triggered by the musicisans. The guitar player was able to mute himself while one of the songs was being performed to tune and you really didn't miss much. The songs had a lot of repetitive lyrics between the different songs and were somewhat predictable structures. <Pig> did not win me over last night.

I went to this last night with my nephew. Killing Joke put on an amazing show.

It was a night where Jaz's vocals just a little pitchy and the band was incredibly tight. Jaz didn't do any extended rants, they just played and played very tight and well. Geordie Walker's ES-295 through the Framus Dragon amp and cabs was a quasi-religious experience as usual. Youth playing his Rickenbacker through an Ashdown 8x10 rig was clear, punchy, and full without sounding nasally or tubby (makes me want to capture one of these cabs).

While it was cool that they played some of the new material, I wish they would have selected some different popular songs from the back catalog. For example except for the last US tour, they never play anything from the Extremities album live anymore, which is my favorite album. It's like VH with DLR avoiding Fair Warning material. They put on a great show.

<Pig> was a strange opening act. The lead singer has a great timbre and control to his voice as well as puts on a good show. Drummer was OK. The guitar player used an SG through a Kemper; his tone was not bad but it was very generic for that Ministry style Industrial Dance music.

This is the 2nd touring opening band that I saw in recent months that, rather than tour with a bass player and keys, instead they played to their backing tracks. It definitely sucks some of the life and energy out of the performace IMHO when band members are tied to backing tracks that arent even triggered by the musicisans. The guitar player was able to mute himself while one of the songs was being performed to tune and you really didn't miss much. The songs had a lot of repetitive lyrics between the different songs and were somewhat predictable structures. <Pig> did not win me over last night.
Geordies my favorite guitar player. I’m hoping once I master the fractal I can get some similar tones. I love stuff with med/hi gain tones that still have clarity and definition. “Wet” tones that don’t overpower the raw guitar sound , just enhances it and makes it wider and deeper

Back
Top Bottom