Killing a long reverb tail? (the ultimate 1st world problem)

right_to_rage

Inspired
While recording/writing with long verbs I'm finding it to be a pain waiting for the trail to finish before I try another take. In the name of efficiency what are my options to stop the epicness? I guess I could just switch patches on the mfc, but what else can one do?

While recording/writing with long verbs I'm finding it to be a pain waiting for the trail to finish before I try another take. In the name of efficiency what are my options to stop the epicness? I guess I could just switch patches on the mfc, but what else can one do?

Or use an expression pedal that uses the "hold" feature in the reverb block. Cooper shows off that functionality in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61WHX9V19Q

Would that work? Then you can control how long a verb is held for.

How long of reverb tails do you have that its actually cutting into your studio time waiting for them to die out ?

I'd consider "long" to be something like 5 seconds, which even if your doing 10 takes in a row, should result in less than 1 minute spending "waiting"

Never tried it, but can the Axe actually do something like a 5 minute reverb tail, where you can pretty much stop playing, put your guitar down, run to the restroom, come back, plug back in, and still be waiting to start the next song/take ?

I wouldn't mind keeping the expression pedals free for volume and other modifiers I have set up, and shortening the reverb would mess up the bleeding/shimmering effect. Any other ideas?

edit: switching patches works fine actually, now its just an exercise in ingenuity. Hold function is a good idea but the notes dont decay like they do in a long long reverb.

Last edited:
record dry but monitor with the reverb on the vocal
it won't affect the recording so you won't have to wait for the tail to fade out..

under normal circumstances, you should never record the reverb's wet signal mixed with the dry
you record dry and add the reverb after..

Set bypass mode of the Reverb to "Mute Out", then bypass the Reverb. "Mute Out" mutes the reverb generated from the block when you switch it off.

Set bypass mode of the Reverb to "Mute Out", then bypass the Reverb. "Mute Out" mutes the reverb generated from the block when you switch it off.

I think even during bypass the reverb will continue to "reverberate" (with a silent output in this case) and the tail will still be heard if the reverb is re-engaged before the tail dies out.
Additionally, I think right_to_rage's method of switching to another patch will only work if that patch does not contain an instance of the same reverb block (e.g. Reverb 1, 2); otherwise the reverb in the second patch will spill over and continue to reverberate (assuming spillover is set to ON). Does this sound correct?

Back
Top Bottom