Killer Clean

vestapol

Inspired
I am very interested in suggestions of how to replicate on the AxeII the clean sound demoed @ 3:21 - 3:30

Kemper vs Fractal sound test - YouTube

The difference (much more evident on good cans or monitors than computer speakers) sounds to me almost like the addition of some acoustic body and maybe a FF IR? Whatever it is, I really like it, and would love to know how to dial in more of that warmth and presence.

TIA

V

You've probably touched on the answer already - the cab IR used with the Axe sounded toppy to me, a bit of experimentation with that would probably be a good start.

As for a winner in the reviewer's A/B shootout ..... well I have to say the Axe in all honesty due to the 'funk' and 'lead' tones (I agree that the clean on the KPA sounded best tho) ..... but the sounds he was using on both could have used a little more work to sound better through his monitors.

No Entiendes!!!...

Referring to the Lead Sound later in the Video, I thought the Kemper Sounded like $h!t
Everything else sound Close. A little More Treble on one Comparison then the Next Sound they Flip-Flopped the Need for Treble...
The Funk was way better on the Axe as Well.

Doing comparisons aren't always accurate. It depends on the patch and how it's setup. The Axe has an endless supply of options LITERALLY. There is no comparison.... Axe FTW

The fractal guys have to step it up. Kemper is giving a fight. I think this 6.0 will couse alot of problems, that's why it's taking alot of time to get out. The Axe fx II was not built to make this kind of profiling or tone matching, it's a last resort mesure and in my opinion a recognition that Kemper is a great unit and a real threat.
I have an Axe fx II, i love it, but it's not perfect.

Ps: I'm not one of these guys that needs to defend the axe fx or say it's the best thing ever all the time!

I have both the Kemper and AxeFx II. The Kemper is only a threat from the simplistic approach to mimicking a sound, kinda like sample hit playback button. Has some tweakability but only so much before you ruin the profile. You cannot compare the capability between the two units. AxeFx II wins hands down IMO. You can CREATE endless number of sounds with superior effects and routing. And with FW6.0 with tone matching coming out I have the feeling my Kemper is going to go from 10% usage to about 0%. If I can tone match a sound and still retain 100% tweakability of that sound, it is a huge win. I don't dislike Kemper at all, just like the flexabilty and sound of the Axe better.

And if AxeFX II wasn't built for tone matching its a huge testament to the design of the AxeFx because it sure seems like its pulling it off just fine.

My experience aligns with earlier suggestions that mixing in a FF IR adds body and fullness to clean tones. Making that one change might be all that's needed to closely align these two clean tones.

pjrs78 said:
The Axe fx II was not built to make this kind of profiling or tone matching

Can you elaborate on this? What is it that's deficient in the Axe-FX II with respect to performing tone matching?

Terry.

I'm portuguese so sometimes i have some difficulties on expressing myself and writing in english.

I read my comment and what i meant was that i'm guessing that this long wait for 6.0 is due to some problems that this huge uptade is bringing.
When i say that the axefx was not built for tone matching, i do not have any technical or electonic basis. I just wonder why axe fx II didn't come with tone matching in the first place.

This isn't realy a big issue for me. I love my axe fx II. The big firmware update was 5.04 in my opinion.

The fractal guys have to step it up. Kemper is giving a fight. I think this 6.0 will couse alot of problems, that's why it's taking alot of time to get out. The Axe fx II was not built to make this kind of profiling or tone matching, it's a last resort mesure and in my opinion a recognition that Kemper is a great unit and a real threat.
I have an Axe fx II, i love it, but it's not perfect.

Ps: I'm not one of these guys that needs to defend the axe fx or say it's the best thing ever all the time!

You have stated this in a couple of threads. You do realize they are both basically computers and software is what makes them do what they do right? Other than the Kemper having a mic pre built in and different knobs and I/Os it is my contention they can both do whatever the programmer tells them to do. The Axe probably has more raw power. Not sure about memory.

While the Kemper has a mic pre built in, it doesn't provide phantom power for condenser mics that need 48v, so unless you only profile with a 57 or something like that, you'll still need a mic pre, in some cases using more then one mic with a preamp will get better results, at least it's been my experience with the KPA, so for me I'll be using a mic pre anyways with either AXE II or KPA for any profiling.

pjrs78 said:
I'm portuguese so sometimes i have some difficulties on expressing myself and writing in english.

That's good to know.

pjrs78 said:
When i say that the axefx was not built for tone matching, i do not have any technical or electonic basis. I just wonder why axe fx II didn't come with tone matching in the first place.

I think for the same reasons that the Ultra didn't have a Quad Chorus or the II didn't IR Creation when they were first released . . . they were ideas that came up as the product evolved and/or as time became available to implement them. Come to think of it, user downloadable IR's were not originally part of the Standard or the Ultra.

Terry.

I am very interested in suggestions of how to replicate on the AxeII the clean sound demoed @ 3:21 - 3:30

Kemper vs Fractal sound test - YouTube

The difference (much more evident on good cans or monitors than computer speakers) sounds to me almost like the addition of some acoustic body and maybe a FF IR? Whatever it is, I really like it, and would love to know how to dial in more of that warmth and presence.

TIA

V

I could be wrong, but I think what you're hearing is actually just the room sound of the actual strings being strummed. This demo was clearly not recorded direct, which really makes for a poor demo. A mic in the room means you can hear all the "acoustic" properties of the electric guitar that don't go through an amp. When he demos the Kemper, it is not as loud as the Axe-Fx for whatever reason, so you're hearing more of his strings in the room. Hence the "acoustic body."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom