Killer Acoustic IR’s!

I'm hesitant. I have yet to hear any acoustic impulse responses that make a piezo pickup sound like anything other than a pickup through an IR. I'd need to hear clips that blew me away.

I'm hesitant. I have yet to hear any acoustic impulse responses that make a piezo pickup sound like anything other than a pickup through an IR. I'd need to hear clips that blew me away.
Same here… I feel with all the EQ options available in the Axe, all these IR sounds are available already with some tweaking of the EQ. I have heard a few tone matches done with real live condenser mics and a live acoustic that wowed me.

As soon as I get a chance, I’ll post clips that’ll blow you away.

Yep. I wasn't too impressed in the long run. I tried some for a while, but was always disappointed how they sat in the mix; always sounded honky or nasally or, as you said, a piezo through an IR.

These days I just EQ and compress my acoustic (Variax setting) and call it a day; sounds fantastic solo and in a mix.

Can anyone comment how these sound with non-piezo electrics? Not expecting magic obviously, but am curious
In my case, my favorite tone is driving the IR’s from the magnetic bridge pickup on my Taylor T-5. Sounds like heaven to me. I don’t settle for anything that’s not 100% inspiring.

In my case, my favorite tone is driving the IR’s from the magnetic bridge pickup on my Taylor T-5. Sounds like heaven to me. I don’t settle for anything that’s not 100% inspiring.

It’s fantastic to have IRs that are designed specifically for the Taylor Expression System 2 pickups. What more could you ask for, while playing your Taylor?

(I realize your T-5 has different pickup choices, but those E2 IRs are just married to my Taylors.)

It’s fantastic to have IRs that are designed specifically for the Taylor Expression System 2 pickups. What more could you ask for, while playing your Taylor?

(I realize your T-5 has different pickup choices, but those E2 IRs are just married to my Taylors.)
I agree. I’ve tried different positions with different ir’s, and it just depends if I’m playing finger style, strumming wide open, or playing with a lot of attack. Either way it’s a win win. 3sigmaaudio did a killer job

Ive always like their IR's, guitar cabs specifically. They can be a tad bassy but I have almost always preferred them over Ownhammers.

3sigmaaudio.com has the best acoustic IR’s I’ve ever heard.

I’ve been searching a long time for IR’s that can make my Taylor T-5 sound like a 614ce Mic’d
No problem and it sounds absolutely incredible.
full body, depth, and articulation with zero piezo like attributes.
just thought I’d share
Would these IR’s work on Axe Fx 2?

I just went to the company's website and listened to all of their demos. They were exactly what I expected. While the IRs impart a degree of acoustic characteristics to a pickup, they also produce unpleasant and artificial-sounding resonances. The result, to me, sounds like a heavily processed electronic pickup. In many respects, I prefer the unprocessed pickup for what it is. IRs can do many things, but they can't perform miracles. In this application, I think they do as much harm as good.

I'm hoping that companies like Roland continue to refine their hexaphonic modeling algorithms, as I believe this is currently the only viable method of acoustic simulation from a pick up. And even it is not ready for prime time.

Last edited:
I love acoustic IRs for live use. I'm sure I could get the same or similar results with a lot of EQ work, but it's so much faster and simpler to throw an IR in there.

I've had good luck with the 3 Sigma ones, but recently somebody suggested trying these ones out and I haven't used a 3 Sigma IR since:

https://worshiptutorials.com/acoustic-guitar-impulse-responses/

The "Holy Grail" is really good. I've got a little Yamaha CSF1M that is my main stage acoustic and it sounds really really nice with that IR!

I just went to the company's website and listened to all of their demos. They were exactly what I expected. While the IRs impart a degree of acoustic characteristics to a pickup, they also produce unpleasant and artificial-sounding resonances. The result, to me, sounds like a heavily processed electronic pickup. In many respects, I prefer the unprocessed pickup for what it is. IRs can do many things, but they can't perform miracles. In this application, I think they do as much harm as good.

I'm hoping that companies like Roland continue to refine their hexaphonic modeling algorithms, as I believe this is currently the only viable method of acoustic simulation from a pick up. And even it is not ready for prime time.
I agree with some of that, especially IR’s not being able to perform miracles. I think there’s still a ways to go, and no impulse equals a building or decaying note with all its attributes. In my case, blending 4 ir’s & low cut is all I need to get 85% of the way there.

Most importantly the piezo like spikey, flat, harsh, thin, wirey sound is gone!

I could upload a preset, but it’s heavily adjusted for a T-5 Koa, with active electronics. The T-5 has very pronounced voicing depending on the 5 way switch. My blend for each position would change dramatically. I use a combination of many ir’s depending on the voicing.

There’s a piezo, soundhole, ES2, and electric folder for each IR. That’s key to avoiding unwanted resonances

314ce
514ce TM
614ce ES2
Tommy
Gtr body

I agree with some of that, especially IR’s not being able to perform miracles. I think there’s still a ways to go, and no impulse equals a building or decaying note with all its attributes. In my case, blending 4 ir’s & low cut is all I need to get 85% of the way there.

Most importantly the piezo like spikey, flat, harsh, thin, wirey sound is gone!

I could upload a preset, but it’s heavily adjusted for a T-5 Koa, with active electronics. The T-5 has very pronounced voicing depending on the 5 way switch. My blend for each position would change dramatically. I use a combination of many ir’s depending on the voicing.

There’s a piezo, soundhole, ES2, and electric folder for each IR. That’s key to avoiding unwanted resonances

314ce
514ce TM
614ce ES2
Tommy
Gtr body
Is the electric folder intended for piezo-equipped electrics or standard magnetic pickups?

Back
Top Bottom