Wish Kill Tail Button

I don't know if there's a way to do this already, but I haven't figured it out. During a session, specially when doing big ambient swells, sometimes I wanna redo a line and I have to stop recording and wait for the tail of the verb/delay/etc to die so I can start tracking again. Maybe a button somewhere that just instantly kills tails for easier work flow in scenarios like that.

You could reload the preset (e.g. switch to another one and then go back) to kill the tail. Not the most handy solution, e.g. because it kills changes you made to the preset.

Reverb: briefly set time to minimum.

Delay: set feedback to 0% and wait one repeat's time, or (with normal delay block, works on II at least) switch to reverse type & back.

Reactions: Rex
I don't know if there's a way to do this already, but I haven't figured it out. During a session, specially when doing big ambient swells, sometimes I wanna redo a line and I have to stop recording and wait for the tail of the verb/delay/etc to die so I can start tracking again. Maybe a button somewhere that just instantly kills tails for easier work flow in scenarios like that.
I'm only mentioning this because this sounds like a specific studio situation, but you could just switch to another preset and back to your ambient one. If spillover is disabled that should flush the delay line buffers.

The above solutions could work, but I normally tweak as I record, so it's not like I'm always using the same exact setting. It wouldn't work for me to change preset and come back because I'd have to redial. Also, to lower mix/repeats/time and then raise it again, then would mean I'd have to keep track of where everything was, etc etc etc... things that slow down work flow. I'm thinkin maybe just a single button, kinda like there is a Tap Tempo, just something that resets the tail.

For now the best solution would probably be to reserve one channel of these blocks for the tail-stop settings, and switch to a scene that uses those channels.

What about the mute fx out bypass mode?

Set all effects to this, and when you want to kill tails, change to a scene where all effects are bypassed (maybe reserve scene 8 for this) and then return to the scene you had been using.

What about the mute fx out bypass mode?

Set all effects to this, and when you want to kill tails, change to a scene where all effects are bypassed (maybe reserve scene 8 for this) and then return to the scene you had been using.

That doesn't clear the buffers so you'd hear the effects when returning, as loudly as if you had just waited that time without bypassing.

Ok I am experiencing this now while trying to use a very long wash to track a short passage of audio and having to wait until it dies down before I can play again.

About the only thing that works besides literally waiting for the tail to die down, is to perform the part and then re-amp the final edited comp. Often times if the reamp contains handling noise or whatever, I’m going to insert silence, so as not to introduce that noise into a preset with long tails or many delay repeats anyways.

+1 delay and reverb 'bypass buffer dump' switch...if set to 'on' it clears the buffer when bypassed, channel selectable. You know what would be insane?? If the ducker threshold cleared the buffer every time you hit the threshold to make it duck...then when it swells back in it's clean slate from whatever you just played...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom