Kid Charlemagne solo cover

Always a fav solo of mine, you sounded good, nice tone and playing. Just wish you were deeper in the mix
and I would have thought you were the original player:)

Do you mean I should have turned my guitar down a bit? I thought that myself because it covers the CD up at times.

love your playing!

you should try with the Tweed Deluxe amplifier, back pickup on the 335 and fool around with the tone control -- I know he had it down around 3 or so.

that solo as well as other classic Steely Dan Riffs and solos by Larry Carlton were not done with Dumbles --- they were done with a little Fender Tweed Deluxe with his 335 plugged straight in - nothing else. The little tweed deluxe was Larry's go to studio amp back in the day..

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try it with the Fender. I wasn't sure it would have been the dumble, but I certainly didn't expect it to be a fender.

Everybody associates Larry with a Dumble -- but his classic work that most folks recognize (i.e. SD) was all done with a Fender Tweed.

Actually there is a video somewhere of him talking about it -- I'll see if I can find it

Thanks, I'll try it with the Fender. I wasn't sure it would have been the dumble, but I certainly didn't expect it to be a fender.

Last edited:
Great job and a great tune, I got the feeling you playing catch up with the backing track. I got a Steely Dan music book and CD from my son and you have inspired me to try this out, thanks

Hey DefaultM

Great job, you were in the pocket and nailed a classic solo from one of the most respected studio guitarists ever. I was following Larry well before his Steely Dan sessions, back in the Room 335 days. He really kind of invented the "west coast" sound. A 335 into a Mesa Boogie was my dream rig, and I am very happy to say that I got that rig!

So if you like that one, try "Bhoddisatva", or "Reelin in the Years", or the great intro to "Don't Take Me Alive". Not all are Larry, but they are all great guitar tunes. Very nice job! Tell us about your 335! I love those guitars. i have a 91 blond 335 that I absolutely love. It has Tom Holmes pickups, which have become somewhat hard to get. I love playing that guitar - it is so responsive!

Joe

The guitar is a Westone Rainbow II. It's my Dad's and I'm not used to playing with it or 11 gauge strings at all, hence the pained expressions haha. I took a video of me playing it on a Telecaster as well, played it perfect but it just didn't look right and I felt like I was cheating.
Thanks for the suggestions, I've never actually listened to Larry Carlton or Steely Dan before. I just heard that this was a really good solo to learn so I did. I'll definitely look at those others.

Back
Top Bottom