Keyboards! Decisions Decisions (Yamaha vs Komplete Kontrol)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I've been thinking about changing things up lately. I currently have a Yamaha MOXF8 which is great. I find i don't use many of its internal voices other than a small handful. I almost never use its built in sequencer. The Kontrol Komplete S88 really catching my eye and i think i could practically do an even exchange. I know the Kontrol S88 is only a midi controller; but weighted keys with aftertouch is cool. So basically downgrading in a sense in that current keyboard has built in sound engine/sequencer to strictly a midi controller.

Wondering if anyone else has done a similar change? thoughts? recommendations?

I have a s49 mkII and love it. Great feel, and if you use Komplete it’s so well integrated with the screens and browsing and color coded keys etc

plus you can also control you DAW, other midi gear, other VSTs etc with it too

does everything but make its own sounds basically

I just got an Akai MK261, as I plan on using mainly for the Blue3 B3 app/plugin. I love that it's semi weighted and they feel great for b3, synth, or keyboard...plus I like the 16 pads and controllers on it.

I had a Yamaha MOX6. I got a Kontrol S25 for programming drums and riffs and couldn't wait to get the S88 Mk2. I did and the first thing I noticed is I find the keyboard a bit stiff but I'm not a keyboard player. I own many NI samples so there is no shortage of source sounds. There are times when I wish I would have gotten the 61 key model but due to key switching of many programs I wanted the full range. It is a beautiful keyboard.

I had a MOX8 (the predecessor to your keyboard) and rarely used the internal sounds, so I sold it for an Arturia Keylab mkII. I went from an 88 to a 61, mainly because I also have an acoustic piano.

It does nothing though. You're keyboard can be used as a midi controller, and it can work without a computer.

You could just buy the $199 Komplete Select on sale and be in the same position

It does nothing though. You're keyboard can be used as a midi controller, and it can work without a computer.

You could just buy the $199 Komplete Select on sale and be in the same position
Yeah I know i can use mine as midi controller. I find it doesn't operate as smoothly in the remote functions. so really lookin for something a bit more modern ; also better display would be nice (the Komplete has nice dual screen that appeals to me)

Also been lookin at Arturia keylab 88

As big of a Fan of NIs Komplete Stuff I am, I'm still kinda sad that their "Komplete Integration" works in Logic, Ableton and Cubase, but users of other DAWs won't get the full functionality you would get with one of these 3 DAWs.
It's still a great controller and I´personally love the keys for synth stuff. Most Keyboard players I know don't like them that much.
But Fatar Keys are great as you can find them on a lot of others controllers without adapting to a new feel.
And the colored Keys are just fantastic for drum programming or the different sections of orchestral vsts

I'm now strongly considering Yamaha MODX76. Not my original plan to get another workstation perse, but it looks as they have done decent upgrades esp to the sound engine of the MODX series. Same DNA as the Montage for the most part.

I have an s88 mk2, it has an amazing keybed. It's probably the best midi keyboard out there.
I keep going back n forth between midi controlled and the modx. the S88 mk2 looks amazing. When I use my MOXF8 , I mostly just use the acoustic piano and mess around with Halion 6 VST for other pads/synths. I know they are apples and oranges but if i went for the NI keyboard it would be $500 less at least.

I've been eyeing the Novation 61SL MkIII. An 88 is a little big for me and my work area.

This would be the first time buying a pure MIDI controller. Every time I've started to, I end up with another thing that makes noises. I've also been eyeing a Moog, so maybe a 50/50 chance I'll follow through with the controller.

Sold my MOXF8 yesterday and today went on my local music store's website to order the Kontrol Komplete until i by happenstance saw that they had a Yamaha MODX8 used. Most of the stores dont even have these new in stock. Reg price $2599 (CAD) but priced at $1650. Needless to say i immediately called and got them to hold it for me. Wasn't considering this initially due to the price but $300 more than the NI Komplete Kontrol it was a no brainer to get this used MODX8. Loving it.

Wow, you really went a completely different direction. That MODX looks like a handful. So the keys are weighted, but not hammer action?

I just don't know if I'd have the time to get into coming up with patches on that thing. It seems a lot easier to pull up some VSTs. I don't know if I've ever really wrapped my head around FM synthesis. You got a good deal though.

I think I've actually been leaning away from the Novation I was thinking about and back to the KK S61.

If there is any interest, I recently switched from a beloved Roland A-70 to a new Studiologic Numa Compact which I think has the same keybed as the new NI boards. I think that for me this was the best option. By that I mean that unfortunately no one today is using Fatar's TP/8S, which was the best keybed ever. I like the Numa. It is shallow and light enough that I can have 88 keys on the desk. I'm working with them on a technical issue but I think I recommend this product. The new Roland A series keys sadly don't compare well to those of the first gen IMO.

Wow, you really went a completely different direction. That MODX looks like a handful. So the keys are weighted, but not hammer action?

I just don't know if I'd have the time to get into coming up with patches on that thing. It seems a lot easier to pull up some VSTs. I don't know if I've ever really wrapped my head around FM synthesis. You got a good deal though.

I think I've actually been leaning away from the Novation I was thinking about and back to the KK S61.
it is a handful. It has way more functions than i'll ever use but the price got me in the end. I couldnt let that deal go. I'm used to their keybeds from previous models i've owned. It's what they call the GHS graded hammer Standard . heaver to lighter touch towards high end. I grew up playing upright pianos so i'm comfortable with it. I hear the fatar keybeds on the NI Kompletes are real nice. I dont plan on creatin sounds so much; there are more than enough on board plus i have Halion 6 on the computer so i'm set for sounds.

Back
Top Bottom