Keyboard and FM3 routing question

Feckless

Sorry for the very basic question, but I am new to this and my home setup is gradually getting more complicated (it's a good thing!).

Currently I monitor my FM3 through studio monitors (Out 1 XLR to XLR) and use the FM3 as a USB interface for recording (GarageBand -- nothing fancy). I have a MIDI controller keyboard connected to my MacBook via USB as well and the keyboard is monitored through the FM3 to the studio monitors.

I'm now adding a Roland JUNO-DS synthesizer to the mix and I'm wondering what is the best way for me to monitor it. It has two 1/4-inch audio outputs plus USB and MIDI.

Should I get an interface? A mixer? Something else? I also expect to add a vocal mic to the setup so I will eventually need a mic preamp.

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!

I'm in the same situation!
FM3 is a good USB device if you keep it simple (exactly like you, a guitar connected to FM3 and a keyboard on usb pc port) but if you want more inputs and routing you should go with an interface.

If you want a good cheaper usb interface.. you can go with a Behringer UMC1820..
it has a lot of inputs (in your case you need at least 6 inputs) and outputs and of course also s/pdif..

Basically:
  • you can connect the guitar to input 1 of the interface and send it back to the FM3 (so you have the DI on channel one)
  • s/pdif out of FM3 to the interface (IN 9/10) so you can avoid d/a/d conversion
  • connect every other instrument / mic to the inputs
  • connect your midi master to usb or also to the interface using midi in/out

* optional, if you like the preamps you can connect the FM3 output to the mic inputs using xlr... sometimes they 'colour' the sound in a pleasant way
** optional, you can also route output 1 / 2 to have a dry / wet signal for recording purposes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom