Keyboard amps >= FRFR units?

will romero

I was thinking about amps that would be about the same as FRFR or better. I haven't tried any yet but logically wouldn't a keyboard amp be full range? With the added bonus of post axe EQ and or built in DSP effects even? An 88 Keyboard goes from a very low A to an 8 octaves higher C (27.5Hz-4400Hz). So in my head I'm thinking a keyboard amp such as a Roland KC-990 would be perfect for running the AXE FX or any comparable unit on for stage or home use. it has 330 watts, is a 2x12 with horns, and can be run in stereo (4 inputs), 3 band EQ and onboard effects. yes it's heavy, but we're guitar players and large amps haven't stopped us before right? thoughts? opinions?

KC990-large.jpg

You asked for thoughts and opinions. Here are mine...

They don't even sound good for keyboards. ;) I've never found a keyboard amp that I really liked until I started using my Atomic CLR. I haven't used that particular model so I can't speak on it but I've used the the earlier versions and they never did anything for me as an FRFR. I think maybe they are tuned to make things sound impressive but not neccesarily "flat" and "full range".

Your mileage may vary of course.

I bought the Roland KC-80 when I had my first Axe-FX Standard.That was a big mistake. It is not flat, and the sound is not natural at all. I had to sell it after few days.

Hi Will,
It's been a while since I looked at keyboard amps, but when I did, I figured out the theory was that they should be frfr, but in practice they are a couple of woofers with a tweeter or two, and a big hole in the midrange. IMHO, you would be much better served by getting a couple of powered wedges or similar.
Thanks
Pauly

They sound good in the music store. It’s like you pressed the “loud” button on a car stereo. More highs and lows, no tone.

Funny enough I put my Axe-FX II through a Roland KC-300 at home for some guitar lessons (couldn't fit both me and my teacher in my small studio and use my monitors like normal). The first comment I got when we started playing through it was "Wow, your tone sounds incredible!". I doubt it would stand up in a jam or gig situation though :)

Funny enough I put my Axe-FX II through a Roland KC-300 at home for some guitar lessons (couldn't fit both me and my teacher in my small studio and use my monitors like normal). The first comment I got when we started playing through it was "Wow, your tone sounds incredible!". I doubt it would stand up in a jam or gig situation though :)
they can sound good at low volume, but usually not with a band, and not at higher volumes. it's very full sounding alone, which is misleading for professional use.

Ten years ago, I used a Traynor K4 stereo keyboard amp with the Axe-Fx ULTRA. That lasted about nine months, then it got replaced with a pair of QSC K10s.

Today, it's a pair of Atomic CLR (Neo) active wedges with Axe-FX III and AX8. Couldn't be happier.

I have a pair of non neo Atomic CLR's and they sound fantastic for the Axe and equally as good with my keyboard

I had a Traynor K4 for a while prior to using Fractal gear.
It was ok in the studio, but didn’t cut it live.
I also played keyboard or guitar with it.

Same as has been posted. Keyboard amps sent even good for keys.

I put my rd2000/dsi rig through a a wc k10.2 for onstage monitoring/small venue backline.

At a sound ok through it too, but I still prefers my 2x12 and fryette power station. Yet to try a clr though.

Back
Top Bottom