Ker-ang and sweetness - JCM800 and Matchless with RedWirez

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Was cutting some stuff and thought I'd drop the clips in this section.

Here's a newer tweaked version of my core tone that I use most of the time live, the mighty JCM800. Sounding beefy and juicy more than ever. Melancon Custom Artist - Axe-FX - digital out - Reaper - ripped to mp3. No post.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1872996/MelCAJCM800.mp3

Next up, something you don't hear much from folks: my take on the Matchless tone. Melancon Custom Artist - (WCR SR/SR/Goodwood, just used the single coils here) - direct to Axe-FX - digital out - Reaper - ripped to mp3. No post.

Detailed out below....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1872996/MelCAMatchless.mp3

Here's a trick to try with the Matchless model in the Axe-FX.

I worked a long time on my Matchless preset. I owned DC-30 that I loved; and I've owned 2 Clubmans and a Matchless 212 that I REALLY loved (all of it Sampson era Matchless). I have a lot of recordings of myself playing the Matchless amps I've owned to compare Apples to Apples, so I know where I wanted to get with the Axe-FX.

Here are some of my Matchless amps and cabs from days gone by
All-the-mics-on-the-Matchle.jpg

DCP00855.jpg

DC30-Shot.jpg

DCP01653.jpg

DCP0154046.jpg

I use the following 'tricks' to get my Matchless tone nailed in the Axe-FX:

- Use Boutique 1 as your amp block choice. Reset everything to stock in the block... and then do the following:
- Turn the Treble way down (bright switch OFF) in the Amp Block. WAY down. Use the Presence control as your treble. Crank it up. Way up.
- Turn the 'Boost' setting in the amp block to 'on'.
- Set the preamp drive to taste (I use it around 6.10 or so) for single coils
- Bass down a bit from noon, middle up a bit from noon (to taste)
- Turn DOWN the Master to about 4.33
- Adjust the Low Cut Frequency in the Advanced Tab to taste (it's good at 160hz stock setting for me)
- Use my 'Vox' Red Wirez Cabinet (see the Patches section and download my zip file there if you own the Red Wirez Cabs; create your mix using my recipe). If you use stock cabs, use the 212 Vox or 112 Vox. No cab distortion, Air setting at about 3500hz and 5% for Air Mix.

Real Matchless amps don't do sweet overdriven stuff with humbuckers, unless you have very low output (like SD Seth Lovers) and turn the volume on the guitar down. The sweet 'broken glass in honey' overdrive pushed clean/light OD tone with single coils is what I shoot for with Matchless amps.

Very nice. I like what you are doing with these Redwirez!
Keep em coming.

Love that Matchless clean tone. Got to get me one of these! (in the axe-fx of course) ;)

Got a nice tone out of your Matchless recipe, thanks for sharing.

Do you mind sharing your JCM800 tips and tricks as well? I really love that tone.

Edit: Nevermind, found the patch in one of your posts - again thanks!

Scott,can you give me a breakdown and tips for your 800 patch? Sounds great!

I cant download patches for some reason!

cheers Mick.

hhjh.de said:
Got a nice tone out of your Matchless recipe, thanks for sharing.

Do you mind sharing your JCM800 tips and tricks as well? I really love that tone.

Edit: Nevermind, found the patch in one of your posts - again thanks!

I've refined how I do my patches since then (learning, learning, learning...)

I'll do a little "how I dial in the JCM800" some point in the coming days. It's nothing really fancy.

Thanks for posting the MAtchless tips Scott. I definitely prefer it with your vox mix from the rewire collection.
Dont know why it never occurred to me to cut so heavily on the treble and boost the presence, but no doubt it works well.
I've struggled with that amp. Got a lot of things to work on now.....thanks.

Thanks man - the low master, low treble, high presence works really well. I have used the matchless sim with the band before, but only with a 'dull' sounding OD in front to tame the treble - your recipe works much better.

Both sound real nice. Organic. I'm going to those settings for the Matchless.

I'll second a call for the 800 settings.

Firmware 9.0 rewrites all the rules for many of these amps.

The Matchless sounds totally different now; so approaching it will be better served when I'm not so sick with flu. The 800 is just more dynamic now. Wow.

Yes, I noticed that the Matchless is not the same any more. With my current settings it has lost a bit of the glassy bite, and I dont know enough to get it back. Well, I'll wait patiently for your recipes ;-)

Due to the new firmware (ok, and the Muse concert from yesterday) I've taken a day off. Soon Cliffs upgrades will have an impact on the global economy...

Get well soon (what are you doing in front of the monitor???)

I'm totally happy with the Matchless now, had to dial in a bit more drive and master and a few other twists and turns, but now it's excellent.

Now my little tone secrets are all totally useless. I feel like the Winter Warlock from that Christmas special... my tricks no longer hold their power. ;) :D

It's scary easy to get almost any amp I've taken the time to sit with to get to sound just tasty with just some simple core adjustments.

The secret now is that there is no secret. Anyone can do it.

And it is goooooooooooooooood.

Hey Scott,

The JCM clip sounds awesome, you've really nailed it, and it's sounding a lot better than the previous demos of your RedWirez-powered tones.

Can't judge a lot the Matchless, but it does sound good. I'm a Metal guy, and as far as clean sounds go, I prefer 90's "sterile" almost direct-to-board sounds (think Metallica's Nothing Else Matters)

And you're right about the ease to dial in V9. It's as if all amps turned into Instant Gratification mode. Just play with the master / presence / tone stack and you can get there, no more tricks needed such as filtes or drive before the amp, or anything similar.

One rant though is that the Mesa models are sounding a lot LESS midrangey than they should for some reason. At least my Mark III without the GEQ engaged gave me instant Santana mids with Bass 3, Mid 5 (the mid control didn't alter much really), Treble 6.5, Presence 2-3. But who knows, maybe it was the open back combo thing with the C90 speaker.

Alex EShadow said:
Hey Scott,

The JCM clip sounds awesome, you've really nailed it, and it's sounding a lot better than the previous demos of your RedWirez-powered tones.

Can't judge a lot the Matchless, but it does sound good. I'm a Metal guy, and as far as clean sounds go, I prefer 90's "sterile" almost direct-to-board sounds (think Metallica's Nothing Else Matters)

And you're right about the ease to dial in V9. It's as if all amps turned into Instant Gratification mode. Just play with the master / presence / tone stack and you can get there, no more tricks needed such as filtes or drive before the amp, or anything similar.

One rant though is that the Mesa models are sounding a lot LESS midrangey than they should for some reason. At least my Mark III without the GEQ engaged gave me instant Santana mids with Bass 3, Mid 5 (the mid control didn't alter much really), Treble 6.5, Presence 2-3. But who knows, maybe it was the open back combo thing with the C90 speaker.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be doing 9.0 versions of these sorts of tones and either sharing presets or dicussing how I tweaked them soon.

Interesting thoughts on the Mesa stuff. I am NOT a Mesa player. Never have been. My tone always sounded crappy and thin with Mesa's, unless the gain was stacked so thick it didn't matter. So I don't generally ever even touch those sounds. I do need a Mesa Recto tone for a few songs with one project I do play with - though infrequently now - and after 9.0 did dial up a Recto alt-rock 90's type of tone that just KILLS me for the first time from the Axe-FX. So... different strokes.

Scott Peterson said:
[quote="Alex EShadow":n1ek05tx]Hey Scott,
I do need a Mesa Recto tone for a few songs with one project I do play with - though infrequently now - and after 9.0 did dial up a Recto alt-rock 90's type of tone that just KILLS me for the first time from the Axe-FX. So... different strokes.
[/quote:n1ek05tx]

From v5 my tweaked Recto sim sound better than the real thing... :lol: :lol: now it gonna sound bester. Or beastyer? :D

Smilzo said:
Scott Peterson said:
[quote="Alex EShadow":3k7tohve]Hey Scott,
I do need a Mesa Recto tone for a few songs with one project I do play with - though infrequently now - and after 9.0 did dial up a Recto alt-rock 90's type of tone that just KILLS me for the first time from the Axe-FX. So... different strokes.

From v5 my tweaked Recto sim sound better than the real thing... :lol: :lol: now it gonna sound bester. Or beastyer? :D[/quote:3k7tohve]

Well, it's a Recto so it should KILL or CRUSH or MAUL or something along those lines.... lol! :D

Back
Top Bottom