Ken Fisher Amps

Joker

Inspired
This newest firmware really brought out the best in all Ken Fisher amps. The Trainwreck Express, Liverpool, Rocket and the Komet amps are just spectacular. The touch sensitivity, the musical wooliness - though the Komet Concourse model might have at times too much of this - and sagginess that some of those amps have once the drive gets cranked and the killer crunch/edge of breakup tones one can get is truly remarkable. I'd strongly encourage anyone to check them out.

Marshall and Fender amps rule, but getting off the beaten path and trying amps such as the Trainwrecks, Carol Anns etc. can sometimes be even more rewarding.

The rocket makes a zipper type of noise when you turn up and down the bass knob. Happens also with middle knob under ideal tab. regardless if you adjust via axe edit or on the unit. @FractalAudio i assume this is a bug?

The rocket makes a zipper type of noise when you turn up and down the bass knob. Happens also with middle knob under ideal tab. regardless if you adjust via axe edit or on the unit.
In certain tonestacks the bass knob uses different coefficients at different values, so the zipper noise is the sound of the CPU rapidly solving for those new values. It's unavoidable, though you can mute the output if you need adjustments to be silent.

In certain tonestacks the bass knob uses different coefficients at different values, so the zipper noise is the sound of the CPU rapidly solving for those new values. It's unavoidable, though you can mute the output if you need adjustments to be silent.
much appreciated, been on fractal boat for longer than a decade and think i know the box in and out...but there is allways smth new to learn about.

add on: out of curiosity i tried bunch of other amp models and also different tone stacks in rocket model. I could not replicate this with any amp model beside the rocket!

Last edited:
I wanted to bump this a bit as I have been enjoying the Trainwreck and Concourse presets quite a bit.

Would there be any good pedals to enter into the mix for these types of amps for high-gain music, or any of the Ken Fisher type of amp presets that would be more optimal for that sort of music/setup than the others? Bonus points if I could add a drive or distortion pedal that would still clean up nicely with a varied pick attack and rolling off the volume, but I can always just turn the OD off or get an expression pedal to control the amount of overdrive/distortion or have a multi-amp setup and use the expression pedal to control how much of a high-gain channel feeds into it.

I wanted to bump this a bit as I have been enjoying the Trainwreck and Concourse presets quite a bit.

Would there be any good pedals to enter into the mix for these types of amps for high-gain music, or any of the Ken Fisher type of amp presets that would be more optimal for that sort of music/setup than the others? Bonus points if I could add a drive or distortion pedal that would still clean up nicely with a varied pick attack and rolling off the volume, but I can always just turn the OD off or get an expression pedal to control the amount of overdrive/distortion or have a multi-amp setup and use the expression pedal to control how much of a high-gain channel feeds into it.

What's the character of your guitar's tone, and what kind of pickups are you using? That would make all the difference for any advice.

What's the character of your guitar's tone, and what kind of pickups are you using? That would make all the difference for any advice.
I have a few guitars (who amongst us doesn't, I suppose). But they probably fall into some basic categories.
  1. My 8-string Valravn with Fishman Fluence Abasi pickups. This is what I mainly play these days, and it's fairly bright guitar (not harsh, but it's articulate and cuts through pretty well). The pickups are very lively, and a fairly aggressive pickup set that are active but still have some passive-like qualities. But this is my primary guitar, and I could maybe see getting another similar setup down the road with the FF pickups.
  2. Passives. I know that's not all that descriptive, but I have a Heritage H-150 (Les Paul design) and a G&L Bluesboy (Telecaster style with a humbucker in the neck and hot single coil in the bridge) and a few others. Anyway, they're mostly fitted with humbuckers, all passive, generally more vintage-flavored than not. That said the LP-style is warmer and the Tele-style is brighter and chimier.
I can make multiple rig setups (really as many as I want), but suspect those are the two more general categories I have (three if you consider the LP and Tele-styles as needing their own channels). But I do still kind of play them in that same way (using the volume to control the gain or clean things up).

Back
Top Bottom