Ken Andrews / Failure; shout-out to FAS

Also, you need to listen to this interview in stereo. That “wall of sound” piece at 22:20 is massive!

Finally, he makes a great case to get a model / simulation of the TC Electronic Mimiq doubletracking effect in the box. ;-)

Last edited:
Ken is great. You probably noticed but it was he who asked for a feature that Cliff granted: VOL INC/DEC on Out 2. His ability to achieve great sounds is remarkable.

PS: I'm going to try to befriend Perry, the interviewer. I hope to give additional insights on how to get inside of a rig rundown that is all or mostly Axe-Fx based. Also, I think it would be better (for all) in general to ask questions in positive terms ("Did you find it easy to ___?", with room for a "yes, but") than negative ("How hard was it?")

I haven't watched this yet. I actually had a ticket to see them in Toronto, and literally fell ill an hour before we left. My bandmate and his wife made it, and they said the sound was phenomenal. He's an old school guy (we run a JCM800 and a twin each) and knew if I was there I'd be on his case about the switch.

I recall Ken listing their II XL's for sale fully loaded, I thought our old producer was going to grab one.

Missing "Heliotropic" live was a bummer, but at least there's 2 fuzzrocious pedals by that name in our band!

Ken is great. You probably noticed but it was he who asked for a feature that Cliff granted: VOL INC/DEC on Out 2. His ability to achieve great sounds is remarkable.

PS: I'm going to try to befriend Perry, the interviewer. I hope to give additional insights on how to get inside of a rig rundown that is all or mostly Axe-Fx based. Also, I think it would be better (for all) in general to ask questions in positive terms ("Did you find it easy to ___?", with room for a "yes, but") than negative ("How hard was it?")

ALL OF THIS

Great video and a great run through of the III. @Admin M@ that's a fantastic idea - so many rig rundowns using modelling just seem to be the interviewer going "oh cool, it's all in there? Let's move on then!"

Had several conversations with several different PG editors in the last few years about this very thing, at their asking. Those folks were all for making and eager to make these more useful/interesting for digital rig fans. There've been a couple different people taking over the Rig Rundowns in the last several years though.

Last edited:
I think that's the first time I've seen that aluminum neck design since the old Travis Bean guitars. Jerry Garcia used to have one that I loved. The neck was a continuous piece of aircraft aluminum extending from the machine heads to the bridge. Supposedly did interesting things for sustain, but I understand it could get cold as hell if played outside in the wrong conditions!

jerry_3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, EGC is kind of carrying on the Travis Bean tradition. I believe they do refurbs of TB guitars as well, as they occasionally show them on their instagram account,

Back
Top Bottom