Ken Andrews / Failure; shout-out to FAS

I made a preset copying the settings on the video. It's a cool-sounding and (for me) a really cool-feeling effect. I don't have a Mimiq to compare it to though, and as far as I know the Mimiq uses some sort of algorithm that constantly varies the delay settings in a non-fixed pattern.

Very cool......

Thanks for turning my attention on this band. Been listening to them all afternoon. Love the massive textures on guitar. Sonically very pleasing.

I have a II but wondering how i could integrate the mimiq pedal and have my mfc 101 trigger it..
I've never used an external pedal with my axe rig before but i'd imagine this uses the fx loop; but fx block in chain and I assume i can assign an IA on the MFC to toggle on/off fx block yeah?

Last edited:
I have a II but wondering how i could integrate the mimiq pedal and have my mfc 101 trigger it..
I've never used an external pedal with my axe rig before but i'd imagine this uses the fx loop; but fx block in chain and I assume i can assign an IA on the MFC to toggle on/off fx block yeah?
Yep... Sounds about right to me.

He’s also using the York Audio Checkmate M25 Cab Pack. I think the M25-1 57 1C if I remember correctly. Ken was the reason I got a Fractal, so hearing him use my stuff is like a dream come true. I wanna get one of those doubling pedals now. That thing sounded incredible.
Is that the same cabinet in the MRSH 412 M25 IR pack on your site? Thanks.

One of my favorite covers...

I can remember being in a Sam Goody (remember those?) in my teens and hearing this at a listening station. Once I heard the drum fill and the MASSIVE guitars on the chorus I pretty much threw my money at the cashier and ran out the door with the CD. Easily one of the greatest covers ever done.

Is that the same cabinet in the MRSH 412 M25 IR pack on your site? Thanks.
The Checkmate is based on the same cab as my new MRSH M25. The MRSH M25 is a higher quality and better sounding version of the Checkmate with a better sounding Greenback.

I can remember being in a Sam Goody (remember those?) in my teens and hearing this at a listening station. Once I heard the drum fill and the MASSIVE guitars on the chorus I pretty much threw my money at the cashier and ran out the door with the CD. Easily one of the greatest covers ever done.

I had a similar experience. There used to be a chain of music stores in Virginia called Plan 9. They were amazing. Had a huge selection of new and used CDs. I used to go to Plan 9 all the time in Richmond and Charlottesville.

I listened to the For the Masses album at a listening station and promptly bought the CD.

That was more than 20 years ago, I think. I miss music stores.

Since this thread has come back to life, I wanted to comment too - man what a great sound he's getting. But I thought the coolest thing was him talking about the challenges, and payoffs he experienced when switching to the III. One would expect that a machine like this is complicated and it's nice to hear someone say "well, yeah, it IS complicated, or can be - but here's what you get for a little effort....." (giant guitar chord).

Super cool video.

Last edited:
Considering Ken's sonic reputation as a Mixer and Producer, the fact that he relies so heavily on the Axe III both in the studio and live definitely pokes a giant hole in the "modeling doesn't sit well in a mix" argument that gets strewn about.

Back
Top Bottom