Kemper vs. AX8. I don't get it.

GlennO

Axe-Master
I've seen reports of people comparing an AX8 to a Kemper, but unless I'm missing something, I don't understand why this comparison isn't a no-brainer.

The audio quality of these two excellent products are similar. Some people slightly prefer one. Some people slightly prefer the other. But there's not much to separate the two when it comes to audio quality.

There are minor differences. The AX8 has a larger variety of better effects, but the Kemper has a headphone jack. The Kemper has profiling, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of Kemper owners ever create a profile. the AX8 can mimic the response of the controls of the amp it is modeling, the Kemper cannot.

Other than that, they stack up pretty close to each other. They have similar processing power and neither can run dual amps. Neither has usb I/O.

But here's what should make it a no-brainer. In the US, with a remote so you're comparing apples to apples, the Kemper is about $2300. The AX8 price is less than half of that! (In europe the price difference is slightly less). I would think that would shut down any talk of debating whether to get a Kemper or an AX8. But maybe I'm missing something.

If you can compare things without cost, then sure, but most people do factor cost into it.

If you can get a similar tone and have $1000 in your wallet, a lot of people would be in favor of that

Of course other people can buy whatever they want, so it doesn’t matter if they are equal cost or one more then the other, they just care about sound

I suppose your right the II or III would be more reasonable to compare given the cost, but how do you ignore cost entirely as is its factor for many

If you can compare things without cost, then sure, but most people do factor cost into it.

If you can get a similar tone and have $1000 in your wallet, a lot of people would be in favor of that

Of course other people can buy whatever they want, so it doesn’t matter if they are equal cost or one more then the other, they just care about sound

I suppose your right the II or III would be more reasonable to compare given the cost, but how do you ignore cost entirely as is its factor for many
I think you missed the OP's point. The no-brainer decision is to get the AX8 and have $1000 dollars leftover in your wallet.

The Kemper has profiling, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of Kemper owners ever create a profile. the AX8 can mimic the response of the controls of the amp it is modeling, the Kemper cannot.

Some of this is advertising or being part of a group.

I bought, profiled and sold a bunch of (~10 - 12) amps. I even profiled my AX8 presets to chase some rabbits. If you are happy with the form factor and sounds from the AX8 it is very hard to beat. I like having the footswitch as part of the unit. I tend to always go back to comparing my presets or profiles against tube amps and keep and eye on new stuff.

Not to open up a can of other options, but on occasion you can get a used Kemper for around $1300 or a bit more.

I get that cost is no object for some people. But those people have a different no-brainer decision: they should get an AxeFX III instead of a Kemper, and enjoy the many advantages that has over a Kemper.

There's just something out of balance in the marketplace right now. There's no way Kemper should be able to command that kind of price when you consider the competition. There must be some other factor at work here. For example, maybe the fact you can buy a Kemper from Guitar Center or Sweetwater, but you have to buy an AX8 direct from FractalAudio?

I think there’s a lot more to compare than just price. some people like the workflow of another product better which justifies the price to them.

there's no single "correct' piece of gear for everyone. i definitely prefer the tone and workflow of FAS products, but others prefer other things for many different reasons. i think it's good to keep an open mind to at least try other things, but we prefer and hear what we do.

I get that cost is no object for some people. But those people have a different no-brainer decision: they should get an AxeFX III instead of a Kemper, and enjoy the many advantages that has over a Kemper.

There's just something out of balance in the marketplace right now. There's no way Kemper should be able to command that kind of price when you consider the competition. There must be some other factor at work here. For example, maybe the fact you can buy a Kemper from Guitar Center or Sweetwater, but you have to buy an AX8 direct from FractalAudio?

I don't necessarily think that an AxeFX III is a "no-brainer decision" for someone considering a Kemper. The profiling world of the Kemper is different than modeling. One that wants a simpler approach can just load a quality profile and play. While you can spend a lot of time chasing profiles, I found it considerably less time consuming than the rabbit hole of modeling. That said, the AX8 is a better solution for me due to the form factor, the quality effects, the computer editor, and the cost. However, I loved my Kemper and will probably buy another one if/when they ever make a floor board version.

I regularly run sound for a local band, and the lead guitarist uses a Kemper. I love it - sounds great, sits in the mix just fine. Of course the guy is a monster player and could sound good into this:

486710000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I will say he has had a few issues - this past weekend, it spontaneously rebooted in between songs. We were running off of a honda generator, so w/o true power conditioning there may have been some sort of spike or drop...

I regularly run sound for a local band, and the lead guitarist uses a Kemper. I love it - sounds great, sits in the mix just fine. Of course the guy is a monster player and could sound good into this:

486710000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I will say he has had a few issues - this past weekend, it spontaneously rebooted in between songs. We were running off of a honda generator, so w/o true power conditioning there may have been some sort of spike or drop...
Yea, but can he play through a Pignose?

I've seen reports of people comparing an AX8 to a Kemper, but unless I'm missing something, I don't understand why this comparison isn't a no-brainer.

The audio quality of these two excellent products are similar. Some people slightly prefer one. Some people slightly prefer the other. But there's not much to separate the two when it comes to audio quality.

There are minor differences. The AX8 has a larger variety of better effects, but the Kemper has a headphone jack. The Kemper has profiling, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of Kemper owners ever create a profile. the AX8 can mimic the response of the controls of the amp it is modeling, the Kemper cannot.

Other than that, they stack up pretty close to each other. They have similar processing power and neither can run dual amps. Neither has usb I/O.

But here's what should make it a no-brainer. In the US, with a remote so you're comparing apples to apples, the Kemper is about $2300. The AX8 price is less than half of that! (In europe the price difference is slightly less). I would think that would shut down any talk of debating whether to get a Kemper or an AX8. But maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe you should actually use a Kemper before you post stuff like this. It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions. How do you figure that most Kemper owners don't make their own profiles? You sound like you're trying to make some points but don't really know what you're talking about. I own both. Price has nothing to do with comparing rigs and presets or the utility of either unit. You're right, you don't get it.

Maybe you should actually use a Kemper before you post stuff like this. It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions. How do you figure that most Kemper owners don't make their own profiles? You sound like you're trying to make some points but don't really know what you're talking about. I own both. Price has nothing to do with comparing rigs and presets or the utility of either unit. You're right, you don't get it.

Not only have I used a Kemper, I own one. Thank you for sharing.

Not only have I used a Kemper, I own one. Thank you for sharing.

I think maybe you've answered your own question. Many people can't afford to buy both of them. Yes, there is a considerable price difference, but that doesn't mean that they aren't comparable. You obviously think that the Kemper is a great piece of gear, or you wouldn't still own one. The bottom line is that they are both awesome. Different people are going to prefer one over the other for various reasons, and discussing those comparisons help many users make a more informed decision prior to investing their hard earned money.

The Kemper has profiling, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of Kemper owners ever create a profile.

Funny you bring that up, out of all the people I know with a Kemper. Two of them a have a decent amp collection and for some reason neither one have interest in profiling their amp's. As I have said to both of them at different times, this is what this thing excels in!! You got a few nice amps there, take advantage of it. Just do one a week, one a month, whatever.
Kind of bewilders me really, if I had a Kemper I would be profiling there amps.
Come to think of it mhh ???
Maybe that's what they are waiting for.

Back
Top Bottom