Kemper shows off new Rack unit!

Tried a Kemper the other day. It was great.
Would go for the Axe FX any day though.
A friend of mine bought it 2 weeks before the rack version was announced, big DOH! :lol
(He tours a lot)

the main thing I think is cool is the unlimited amps that can be had, the axe we have the models in the firmwares. I know we have amp matching but with the changes in the firmwares the matches always are good for 1 firmware at most. although i think i have enough amps at the moment ;) haha.

The KPA rack certainly looks very cool and they have the option of a amp head version, a rack only version & a rack with built in power amp! Pretty cool I'd say.

I'm still in my 30 day return with zZounds on my KPA, so we'll see! lol

The KPA rack certainly looks very cool and they have the option of a amp head version, a rack only version & a rack with built in power amp! Pretty cool I'd say.

I'm still in my 30 day return with zZounds on my KPA, so we'll see! lol

How are you liking it? The rack version definitely has my interest.

If I had the spare cash lying around, I'd probably pick one up. I've heard some pretty nice clips from them. For live use I don't think it'd cut it for me flexibility-wise, so I'd still be running the Axe-FX rig there. But for home recording and whatnot, I think I'd be happy with it.

That said, I don't have the spare cash lying around, so it's a pointless thought. And if I'd had the spare cash at some point, I'd have probably put it together with proceeds from selling the Ultra and stepped up to an Axe II already. :lol

Now, I've never played with one in person but am I missing something? I don't see what makes the Kemper a viable competitor. From what I see, it has half the features of the Axe.

I think it's good for the industry to have competition, and if I had the spare cash I might buy one of these just to see what it's like. I'm buying a Mayones Regius though, so my wallet appears to be empty at the moment.

One thing I do like about the Kemper (and other competitors old and new) is knobs for gain, bass, mid, treble, presence, volume. Plus reverb and delay controls. ABCD isn't as useful in live situations.

Downside for the Kemper is that it requires more vertical rack space. However, I assume it is shallower than the AF2, which I wished would fit into shallow rack bags.

That being said I love my AF2. I just we had a chassis and front panel UI upgrade kit for it. I'd buy it.

Now, I've never played with one in person but am I missing something? I don't see what makes the Kemper a viable competitor. From what I see, it has half the features of the Axe.

Remember that the Kemper has just been available in the USA for a year. In Europe it hasn't been out much longer. They will keep adding more effects & other things such as dedicated foot controller etc....

Tried a Kemper the other day. It was great.
Would go for the Axe FX any day though.
A friend of mine bought it 2 weeks before the rack version was announced, big DOH! :lol
(He tours a lot)

wow.. that seriously sux...

I know that if that happened to me I'd be absolutely gutted...
is it too late for him to get a refund and then wait for the 19" rack Panzer Virelezz format??

I've played with one. I'd say it is viable for these reasons:

1. It sounds GREAT. It really does exactly what it says on the tin.

2. You can profile your amps. You don't HAVE to, but you can, and the tech really works.

3. There are loads of profiles you can download. The pay-for ones are really good. The bottom line is that it can sound like any amp you want.

4. 'Tweakability'. Knobs allow very quick setting of, well, everything. Hence it is just like being in front of an amp in terms of dialling in tone. The display is very good for this, it's big and I was dialling in all sorts of tones without even glancing at the instructions, including configuring the stomp boxes. It's VERY intuitive.

5. It's cheaper!

Things that are 'against' it:

1. No USB recording interface. It has a USB port but currently that is just for file storage.

2. Not as many effects / chain flexiblity as the Axe FX. If you need all that stuff then fine, but the Kemper is still perfect for those that just need 'the usual' effects setup for when playing.

AxeAmp by MF Audio :D

Fractal should collaborate with Matrix on building the Axe with a Matrix power amp- Called AxeAmp by MF Audio.

With front panel rotarty`s directly to the usual drive, bass etc

Back
Top Bottom