Kemper in the Axe-Fx III loop with spdif?

Tilt

Inspired
I would like to use the kemper as a block and put it in the grid as 3rd amp.
Have to use the send/return analog I/O or is it possible to do it using spdif I/O?
Which is the right chain?
thanks

You have flexibility in this choice. Either analog or SPDIF can work, or even a combination ( analog OUT 3 blk placed parallel after all PRE effects but before any AMP ((if that’s what you want)) into Kempers front input and SPDIF out from the lunchbox back into the III... make sure you choose the correct option in Kemper settings (amp, stack, etc.)...) but you may be better off goin all analog, using the Kempers .direct out ........ Experimenting is fun.
........I used up my 5000th forum post on this....hope you get something g out of it.

You have flexibility in this choice. Either analog or SPDIF can work, or even a combination ( analog OUT 3 blk placed parallel after all PRE effects but before any AMP ((if that’s what you want)) into Kempers front input and SPDIF out from the lunchbox back into the III... make sure you choose the correct option in Kemper settings (amp, stack, etc.)...) but you may be better off goin all analog, using the Kempers .direct out ........ Experimenting is fun.
........I used up my 5000th forum post on this....hope you get something g out of it.

thank you, at the moment I choose the analog one, but there something wrong, there's too much "wind" here
Have to check

Make sure you set the sample rate to 48khz.

done, thank you.

I would like to use the kemper as a block and put it in the grid as 3rd amp.
Have to use the send/return analog I/O or is it possible to do it using spdif I/O?
Which is the right chain?
thanks
Been thinking about doing the same thing (except probably with an Eleven Rack or something else that's cheaper than a Kemper) for my "5x12 Rig of Ultimate Flexibility" setup, which sadly exists only in my head right now (although, let me tell you, it sounds fantastic there).

Signal arrive in the Kemper, but don't come back, someone that see something wrong here?

Guitar to input 2 (Left only) on the Axe III
Axe III > SPDIF out > SPDF in Kemper
Kemper SPDIF out > SPDIF in Axe III
Main output 1/2 XLR to my Apollo
Usb to my Mac

On Axe i/o setup:

SPDIF/AES Select > SPDIF
SPDIF/AES Out Source > Output 2

INPUT 1 Source SPDIF/AES
INPUT 2 Mode Left Only

On Kemper OUT Setup:
SPDIF Output: Master Stereo
Sample Rate: 48khz

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-03-21 alle 23.00.02.png
    Schermata 2020-03-21 alle 23.00.02.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 16
“SOLVED”

It’s notpossibile to use both spdif in and out together (from the manual).
So, it’s an hardware limit

“SOLVED”

It’s notpossibile to use both spdif in and out together (from the manual).
So, it’s an hardware limit

could you help me understand where the manual says you can’t use the SPDIF input and output simultaneously? I see that you can’t use SPDIF and AES inputs at the same time. It’s possible that this limit is implicitly stated rather than explicitly stated, so I may he overlooking something. I’m considering a setup that would be a perfect candidate for an SPDIF based loop for outboard gear. Thanks!

could you help me understand where the manual says you can’t use the SPDIF input and output simultaneously? I see that you can’t use SPDIF and AES inputs at the same time. It’s possible that this limit is implicitly stated rather than explicitly stated, so I may he overlooking something. I’m considering a setup that would be a perfect candidate for an SPDIF based loop for outboard gear. Thanks!

Exactly, I was wrong, it’s referred to spdif/AES 👍

oh, so you can use the spdif I/O as a loop? That would be awesome.

Should works, but it doesn’t, have to understand why.
At the moment I’going with Spdif from Axe to Kemper, XLR from Kpa to Axe, so one conversion more than necessary.

🤔

I have my Axe3 / Axe2 working together. The Axe2 "front" section (input1 to loop-out) is in one Axe3 loop, and the Axe2 "back" section (loop-in to output1) is in another Axe3 loop.

The objective of this was to build some kitchen sink patch templates that, in addition to containing all the fx blocks I like (some running pre or post), also include:
  • A dual amp/cab doubling mode where 2 amps/cabs can run in parallel for a thick doubling affect - switchable from dual mode to single mode (yes - Axe3 can do dual amps on it's own but I started pushing cpu limits in certain circumstances running 2 amps similtaneously in Axe3).
  • Pitch Shift / Harmony tones that each run through their own amp/cab for better realism.
  • Ability to move/balance some fx blocks from one unit to the other without having to change the foot switching (ie the one rotary switch controls rotary regardless of whether it's runnong on Axe 2 or 3).
  • retain reserve processing capacity.

Routing is as follows:

1. Guitar Connection:
Guitar > Axe3-In1

2. Add Axe2 "Pre fx" possibilities - Loop 4 on the Axe3 provides access to Axe2 "pre" fx up to and including Axe2 amp/cab (for harmony tones and for right side amp+cab of dual amp patches).
Axe3-Out4-L/R > Axe2-In1-L/R
Axe2-Out2-L/R > Axe3-In4-L/R

3. Add Axe2 "Postfx" possibilities - Loop 2 on Axe 3 provides access to Axe2 "post" fx.
Axe3-Out2-L/R > Axe2-In2-L/R
Axe2-Out1-L/R > Axe3-In2-L/R

4. Interface Connection
Axe3-Spdif-Out > Audio-InterfaceSpdif-In.
Audio-Interface-Out1-L/R > Studio Monitors

In connection #2, I have Axe3 loop4 (harmonies) coming back parallel to the main Axe3 distortion as they are additive and do not need to be in sync (in fact, I have a Mimiq pedal in front of Axe2-In1-R to add some randomness to the harmony tone (R) and to the right side amp when using Axe2 for dual amp tones).

MFC is switching both Axe2 and Axe3 as needed. I stayed away from spdif connection from Axe3 into Axe2 as this would bypass the Axe2 input1-L special sauce in the Axe2 which I wanted to preserve in connection # 2 above. Given the number of fx, I use a PodHD500 as an additional controller. The POD and MFC midi signals are being "managed" though some Bome Midi Translator Pro programs I built to get all the switching working seamlessly.

Both loops operate very quietly - I don't use the loop gates on Axe3 but I did have to turn the Axe2's Output 2 Boost/Pad all the way up to remove some noise.

I guess there is added latency with Axe3 loops on but I can't feel it so it's does not seem too significant.

Don't see why this type of routing could not work with Axe3/Kemper also.

Below is the grid pix (fyi - Axe3 loop3 is used to bring in Digitech Freqout feedback pedal but with an Axe3 pedal controller around it to control the Freqout's often unnatural decay). There are some vol/pan/filter blocks scattered about that take care of gotchas I found while integrating both units (i.e. levelling overall volume when Axe2 harmonized tones are added, getting around the Axe2 only having 2 channel possibilities (x/y) while the Axe3 has 4 (ABCD), getting the Axe2 to switch back and forth between dual and single amp mode).

The second set of grids below shows the case where Axe2 is taking over duty for rotary, enhancer, reverb.

I also have an Eventide H9 at the beginning of the Axe3 Loop2 (just before going into the Axe2 "back" section) ... but that's a whole other story.

1590873574529.png

1590873661087.png

1590874258868.png

1590874342863.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom