Kemper Double Tracker Feature on Axe-FX III?

Apologies if this is not the right place, but how exactly are you guys setting up the ins and outs? I've got a stereo patch with one amp and 2 cabs (panned hard L and R) and when I set OUT4 after the cab, then IN4 after that, it just sounds metallic and phasey. The output and input are set to stereo.
Start by setting it up in series after your cab, both left and right Out 4 into the left and right of the pedal. Left/right out of the pedal back into Input 4 left/right. 4 total patch cables. Set both the Effect and Dry knobs fully clockwise on the pedal. You'll also need to be monitoring in stereo, ideally with headphones.
similar here - running Mimiq pedal mono in Left side of loop only for best results (right side going straight thru) (1 voice / 90% wet / 0% dry / 50% Tightness). Running just before or after hard L/R panned cab blocks is good - running just before hard panned L/R panned amp blocks sounds best imo. In hind sight, the Mimiq mini is best value at 1/2 the price to do the same as above with the stereo version - the multiple voices start to sound a bit garbled at times to my ear - one voice @ 100% wet before a second hard panned amp + delayed slightly + randomly in Mimiq seems to fit the definition of a real time double tracking process - wish it had a bit more "swing" sometimes, but really good.
Good point, I might "downgrade" to the mini version on one side and turn the dry down all the way. However I got the full version for <$100 on reverb and the cheapest mini on reverb is pushing $70 after tax and shipping so I might just keep the full version for flexibility.
Oh, I'm dumb. I have my switch set to 1 as well- so that you get two outputs on the pedal.
Made the exact same mental mistake 🤦‍♂️
The 2 setting gives you a w/d/w sort of effect, iirc, which made it seem like the left hand side was louder.
Same experience here, didn't like the 2 dubs setting at all, much louder on the left side and just sort of muddied up the stereo field. One of my goals for this type of thing is creating space in the center of my IEM mix and any setting other than 1 Dub puts more stuff in the middle.
FWIW, running just one side of the pedal in a loop like you're doing is probably throwing a little additional Haas effect in there as well, because of the latency of the loop- the loop throws just a tiny bit of latency in the AD/DA conversion, so if you find yourself dealing with some mystery phaseyness at some point, running both amps through the pedal in serial would solve it, but hey, if it sounds good, it is good!
I actually thought about that too. I reamped the same riff through both setups (mimiq stereo, mimiq mono on one side) and checked them summed to mono, they both had a pretty similar phasey sound. Then I double tracked with no mimiq, checked it in mono, and as expected there was essentially no audible phasing, it just sounded like a double centered. So my conclusion is that although the Mimiq is not a perfect recreation of actual double tracking and I'll still be double tracking final guitars, it's a big upgrade from the Enhancer block for demos and live w/ IEMs.

While we're talking about phasing, in IEMs the two signals are hard panned so there's no issue there. In studio monitors or live if your 2 lines are hard panned you'll be reducing phasing or comb filtering anyway as compared to running mono, where you have an identical signal coming out of all the speakers, just asking for tons of comb filtering depending on where you're listening from. This video shows what I mean using white noise.

Last edited:
If trying Mimiq in mono Left before hard panned L/R amp blocks, try adding a Pitch / Harmony block after MimiqLeft + before AmpLeft (other side still going straight thru on Right side only (can use a volume block to force this). Set the Pitch Harmony to a 1 voice harmony Left @ 100% wet - makes fantastic / quite realistic twin lead sound. If you don't have Mimiq, substitute with Enhancer for similar goodness. (Enhancer with more randomly delaying variation on one side would provide even gooder goodness for those Mimiqless among us - wink wink nudge nudge to Fractal).

Last edited:
Me thinking about signal enhancing, widening , thickening, stereoizing...
(is there a major advantage of the stereo version over the mini when using with Axe Fx?)

Attachments

• more.jpg
    more.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Me thinking about signal enhancing, widening , thickening, stereoizing...
(is there a major advantage of the stereo version over the mini when using with Axe Fx?)
It depends how you use it. If you’ll only ever use the 1 dub setting on one half of a stereo amps + cabs + effects setup, then you should just get the mini and turn the dry knob all the way down. If you want to use other dub settings or use it after a mono amp + mono/stereo cab setup, you should probably get the original. IMO it’s simpler to just route the in/out blocks in series rather than making a separate parallel path, one for your dry and one with the ins/outs, and then using a mixer block after that with the 2 rows hard panned. With the former, if the pedal or patch cable fails, all you have to do to get your signal back is bypass the In block.

It depends how you use it. If you’ll only ever use the 1 dub setting on one half of a stereo amps + cabs + effects setup, then you should just get the mini and turn the dry knob all the way down. If you want to use other dub settings or use it after a mono amp + mono/stereo cab setup, you should probably get the original. IMO it’s simpler to just route the in/out blocks in series rather than making a separate parallel path, one for your dry and one with the ins/outs, and then using a mixer block after that with the 2 rows hard panned. With the former, if the pedal or patch cable fails, all you have to do to get your signal back is bypass the In block.
Even if you have the Mimiq in serial in the block grid, and hooked up in one of the effects loops in stereo, you can bypass the loop by connecting the OUT and IN blocks in the AxeFx, and bypassing the IN block. Signal will just pass right through and skip the loop, so if you're worried about reliability, it could be assigned to a switch. Just thinking out loud, and I'm not in front of my Axe right now, but I think control switches can be assigned globally- I wonder if you could just assign a control switch to turn the loop on or off across all scenes/presets. I'll have to mess with that. On my old board, I had it hooked up to my IA layout, but I never had an issue with it.

Even if you have the Mimiq in serial in the block grid, and hooked up in one of the effects loops in stereo, you can bypass the loop by connecting the OUT and IN blocks in the AxeFx, and bypassing the IN block. Signal will just pass right through and skip the loop

Correct, I mentioned bypassing the In1 block in the post you quoted. But if the goal is stereo widening / double tracking in stereo then this is only effective with the full stereo Mimiq connected in series. Using the mini pedal for the same stereo widening requires hard panned parallel paths which leaves one path inside the unit but complicates troubleshooting for the other path. Edit: or just a patch cable output > input. Thanks Sprint for this idea.

Last edited:
Even if you have the Mimiq in serial in the block grid, and hooked up in one of the effects loops in stereo, you can bypass the loop by connecting the OUT and IN blocks in the AxeFx, and bypassing the IN block. Signal will just pass right through and skip the loop, so if you're worried about reliability, it could be assigned to a switch. Just thinking out loud, and I'm not in front of my Axe right now, but I think control switches can be assigned globally- I wonder if you could just assign a control switch to turn the loop on or off across all scenes/presets. I'll have to mess with that. On my old board, I had it hooked up to my IA layout, but I never had an issue with it.
To me, the parallel path with mixer for Mimiq on one side only is fine but if one does not like parallel paths and mixers, could just plug a short cable from loop out to in on the non mimiq side then put the loop out/in blocks in the simple sequential in line order.

To me, the parallel path with mixer for Mimiq on one side only is fine but if one does not like parallel paths and mixers, could just plug a short cable from loop out to in on the non mimiq side then put the loop out/in blocks in the simple sequential in line order.
Good thinking!

I set up a global perform control for bypassing In4 so if there’s a failure live I can quickly eliminate the loop as a source of failure.

Last edited:
It sounds like a single processed guitar. Not at all convincing. And certainly not mono compatible. As far as I know, the technology to achieve a convincing real-time double tracking effect does not yet exist.

I'm not saying it's not a useful effect. But it certainly doesn't sound like double tracking.

It sounds like a single processed guitar. Not at all convincing. And certainly not mono compatible. As far as I know, the technology to achieve a convincing real-time double tracking effect does not yet exist.

I'm not saying it's not a useful effect. But it certainly doesn't sound like double tracking.

This is my view too. Shifting the wet portion of the sound using micro delays is only half the story of what is going on when you track an overdub. There are phase inconsistencies at play that none of the solutions to this problem take into account. There are also differences in frequency response going into the amp - pick attack, pick position relative to the string, and the phase of the oscillation of the string each time it is played, all contribute to these differences - and in short..... crossfading between a bunch of tiny delay values..... nah...... not what really happens at all.

Which is why it never sounds convinced. Personally I think this is the worst effect on the Kemper, and the TC pedal isn't far behind either!

This is my view too. Shifting the wet portion of the sound using micro delays is only half the story of what is going on when you track an overdub. There are phase inconsistencies at play that none of the solutions to this problem take into account. There are also differences in frequency response going into the amp - pick attack, pick position relative to the string, and the phase of the oscillation of the string each time it is played, all contribute to these differences - and in short..... crossfading between a bunch of tiny delay values..... nah...... not what really happens at all.

Which is why it never sounds convinced. Personally I think this is the worst effect on the Kemper, and the TC pedal isn't far behind either!
The technology is new and there’s a lot of room for improvement. But TC is going in the right direction by focusing on dynamics and delays. TC has smart people and I think they’re correct that those are the most important artifacts since they give realistic separation due to temporal, phase, and frequency response effects. if this appears in the AxeFX, I would expect Cliff to advance the technology with additional refinements. To begin with, he could do the important sidechaining that TC can’t easily do in a pedal.

Don't know what my TC Mimiq is mimicing, but I like what it does as an interesting alternative to mod fx. Not everyone's cup of tea I guess, but I wish it was in Axefx - I think it would make sense as an additional enhancer type.

Someone needs to come up with a fundamentally new way to decorrelate a signal from itself. Until then, every doubler is going to sound like a comb filter machine.

Start by setting it up in series after your cab, both left and right Out 4 into the left and right of the pedal. Left/right out of the pedal back into Input 4 left/right. 4 total patch cables. Set both the Effect and Dry knobs fully clockwise on the pedal. You'll also need to be monitoring in stereo, ideally with headphones.

Good point, I might "downgrade" to the mini version on one side and turn the dry down all the way. However I got the full version for <$100 on reverb and the cheapest mini on reverb is pushing $70 after tax and shipping so I might just keep the full version for flexibility.

Made the exact same mental mistake 🤦‍♂️

Same experience here, didn't like the 2 dubs setting at all, much louder on the left side and just sort of muddied up the stereo field. One of my goals for this type of thing is creating space in the center of my IEM mix and any setting other than 1 Dub puts more stuff in the middle.

I actually thought about that too. I reamped the same riff through both setups (mimiq stereo, mimiq mono on one side) and checked them summed to mono, they both had a pretty similar phasey sound. Then I double tracked with no mimiq, checked it in mono, and as expected there was essentially no audible phasing, it just sounded like a double centered. So my conclusion is that although the Mimiq is not a perfect recreation of actual double tracking and I'll still be double tracking final guitars, it's a big upgrade from the Enhancer block for demos and live w/ IEMs.

While we're talking about phasing, in IEMs the two signals are hard panned so there's no issue there. In studio monitors or live if your 2 lines are hard panned you'll be reducing phasing or comb filtering anyway as compared to running mono, where you have an identical signal coming out of all the speakers, just asking for tons of comb filtering depending on where you're listening from. This video shows what I mean using white noise.

Did you find that you had to increase some of the low end on the OUT 3 EQ settings in the Setup when using the Mimiq ?

Back
Top Bottom