keith scott - lead tone - what am i hearing?

Seem to remembr he played a Dumble in many recordings.

And something else odd. An AC30, but with something else as a power section. Might be out there on Google. This is probably how he rolls in a live situation.

But I don't know...

Found this on an old HRI post:

email from Keith regarding some gear talk... Keith was/is going to post some old pics here at some point. Enjoy

paul

lets see.. i remember the lange/adams sessions and for the most part it was an old ac-30. together with a 100 watt marshall plexy head into an old 4/12 basketweave cab. plus a 50 watt hiwatt head and a rack mount tom scholz rockman! whew! a lot of the basic tracking was done on my 1960
sg/les paul jr. with a seymour duncan sh/5 bridge p-up.
also bryans 1962 sunburst strat. and we used a paul reed smith guitar too with seymours in it. that was run into a pete cornish switcher and usually had a cornish treble boost on it ..for solos we would kick in a cornish soft sustain too for extra bite.
that rig you saw me with was indeed a bradshaw switcher that we wired into that custom hybrid hiwatt 20 watt combo which was a dry sound..the outside stereo 4/12's had some light delay fed thru them via an old korg unit..the amp was the brainchild of steve palermo who was a hiwatt distributor for the west coast..he was based out of the stockton ca. area i think..have not seen him since the late 80's!

I remember reading that he had a modded amp with an AC-30 pre-amp and a HiWatt power stage. Sure sounded like it. Don't remember where I read it. Was a couple of decades ago.

Maybe try an AC-30 with sag off into a HiWatt block. Could be interesting.

i just tried copying all the "power" parameters over from a hiwatt into the ac30

cool sound!

actually sounded nicer using the FAS Class A amp though...

Last edited:
I´m also a fan of the Keith Scott Sound. Thea early records are like ACDC - two different guitars for a wall of Sound. Listen to the LIve Album from 1988 "live,live,live!". Great!

I´ve got here a Interview from 2004 - but in German........mmh.....

He uses heavy Strings - .013, .015, .018, .030, .040, .050 - don´t know, how he´s able to bend such strings on a Strat (Hello SRV?).

Effecs: Tube Screamer, Brown source overdrive from lovetone, Flanger, Rotosphere from Hughes and Kettner, Q-Tron from Electro Harmonics, Autowah with Distortion.

Guitars - Strats, Gibson and - Gretsch White Falcon! Also a Custom Guitar from Gretsch.

But ist not only the Vox Amp, he also played a Plexi Marshall.

Did any of you guys ever end up creating a preset based on Keith Scott's rig that may be available?

Here's a recent video where they get pretty close to his sound using a Boss Katana 2x12 amp:

Last edited:
I remember reading that he had a modded amp with an AC-30 pre-amp and a HiWatt power stage. Sure sounded like it. Don't remember where I read it. Was a couple of decades ago.

Maybe try an AC-30 with sag off into a HiWatt block. Could be interesting.
it was actually the other way around, a hiwatt preamp section into an AC 30 output section from what ive seen and read.

Then around 1987 I switched to a hybrid Hiwatt amp set up but only for a few years..Those amps were custom made for me by Hiwatt USA..and only a few examples exist..It was based on a Vox AC-30 and had Hiwatt preamp circuitry.

Well I was close, just the wrong order!
But also layered guitars and amps, Strats, Les Paul, Gretsch for guitars and Hiwatts, Marshall and Voxes for amps. There seems to be a fair amount of semi clean amp tone blended in and out of phase cabinets as well. It also so doesn't hurt to have guys like Bob Clearmountain and Mutt Lange tweaking stuff in studio for you

Back
Top Bottom