Keep It Simple Stupid...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
So i've been having big time USB issues for a while. Trying to record via USB resulted in horrible garbled audio. Axe Edit was constantly losing connection. The straw that broke the camels back was when I dl'd CabLab 3 yesterday and couldn't get it to work in Live mode. There was pops and clicks, terrible audio, horrible latency.I was determined to get to the bottom of it. Installed the driver again. Checked latency settings. Searched the forum over and over for threads on the same issue. Nothing worked.

Tried a different cable.

No issues since....

True Story...

I had a sign on my wall at my previous job: "99% of the time the problem is a cable or connector!". Salesmen, support personnel, etc. would run into my office all panicky saying "the customer's system is down. They think the multiplexer board is fried." I'd calmly look up and point to the sign. 15 minutes later they'd come back "they tried a different cable and it's all working fine now."

I had a sign on my wall at my previous job: "99% of the time the problem is a cable or connector!". Salesmen, support personnel, etc. would run into my office all panicky saying "the customer's system is down. They think the multiplexer board is fried." I'd calmly look up and point to the sign. 15 minutes later they'd come back "they tried a different cable and it's all working fine now."
The other 1% of the time you just need to cycle power. :encouragement:

Should have been my first inclination, but my experience with USB cables has been all or nothing. They either work or don't...I've never had one halfway work like this. The really silly thing is that, like most any musician or anyone who has bought any type of tech over the years, I have about 3659 usb cables lying around. Oh well, I'm just happy it works. Live Mode not working in CabLab was seriously bumming me out.

I'd say the problem 90% of the issues I troubleshoot daily is a bad cable somewhere. Even "I just bought this cable, it's new" situations. Switch it out, it works.

I thought that same thing for a long time and ran into a case where the USB cable would seem to work, but gave issues in performance. Ironically it was switching a $20 USB cable with a $2 one that fixed it. Go figure.

A woman at a previous job had an issue where her computer would randomly enter text while she was not typing. It turned out that whenever she leaned forward to sharpen her pencil, her boobs would mash her keys.

A woman at a previous job had an issue where her computer would randomly enter text while she was not typing. It turned out that whenever she leaned forward to sharpen her pencil, her boobs would mash her keys.
I guess that is probably the only one situation in where you are happy to be a tech support.

A friend of mine working at tech once had a call about "my computer leaking.".
So he took a look into the database and ... nope, no liquid cooling system on this workstation.
Turned out the guy just knocked over a flowerpot. People are that stupid.

However, when it comes to USB, it's more likely the socket is faulty, not the cable.
In almost 20 years of using USB cables, I never encountered a single faulty cable, but almost a dozen faulty sockets.

Interesting post....I would have though the same....USB cable either works or doesn't.
I've had pops/clicks issues and never tried a new cable.
I guess I need to make myself one of those signs.....

I guess that is probably the only one situation in where you are happy to be a tech support.

A friend of mine working at tech once had a call about "my computer leaking.".
So he took a look into the database and ... nope, no liquid cooling system on this workstation.
Turned out the guy just knocked over a flowerpot. People are that stupid.

However, when it comes to USB, it's more likely the socket is faulty, not the cable.
In almost 20 years of using USB cables, I never encountered a single faulty cable, but almost a dozen faulty sockets.

maybe so, and that's been my experience with cables as well, but ever since switching cables i haven't had one moments issue. i guess time will tell!

I had my DSL internet connection go bad. It worked normal other than upload, which was 10kbps. Long and frustrating troubleshooting.... yup, you guessed it, cable from modem to wall... :D

Back
Top Bottom