Katana Mk II as an FRFR for the Axe 3

jbigg21

Inspired
I know Leon did a video on this. I'm going to rewatch it, but I'm wondering if any of you folks here have any experience using one of the new Mk II Katanas as an FRFR solution. I do have a MkII 100 model that I keep at my dad's house for when I visit, but I'm considering bringing it home and possibly getting a second one so I can have a stereo rig. Any thoughts on this?

Jon

It won’t be FRFR as the Katana uses a standard guitar speaker, but it will work as a power amp and speaker for the AxeFX . Whether it’s a sound you want will depend on your taste. Might as well try it before you spend money on anything else.

I have a Katana MKI 100 that I use with my AFX3 by disabling the cabinet simulation on the AFX3 and sending the AFX3 output to the Kanata FX return (input).

It definitely isn't FRFR, but I do like the tone I get out of it.

I have a little 5 watt Blackstar HT5C combo with a Weber minimass attenuator set to 1/2 - one of my interface outputs goes there (to fx return). Every once in a while (rarely) I turn off amp+cab modelling and send signal there - I am always suprised, given that I am addicted to stereo FRFR guitar tones, how good it sounds.

As already stated it will not be FRFR.

I tried using the Katana I had as a power amp/cab for my Helix, it was terrible.

Was cab modeling on? The Katana MKI and MKII are going through typical guitar speakers, which sending an IR through a typical guitar speaker is like sending it through a cab twice

I've played with the FX return on a lot of my amps with various speakers at the house. Of course turn your cab model off. The only thing I have noticed is I've generally had to use an EQ before the output on the FX3 to tame highs to FX returns. Kinda of set it as a brickwall around 7k-9k like most guitar speakers. I would think the Katana would be bright. My 50w MKII could get some very sizzling highs. I think it would work fine.
Surprisingly, one of my favorites was going into to the FX of a Fender Mustang IV stereo with Celestion G12-75's in it. The Mustang power amp had a tiny bit of color that paired well with the FX3. I know that might make some people cringe, but it was pretty nice.

Last edited:
Was cab modeling on? The Katana MKI and MKII are going through typical guitar speakers, which sending an IR through a typical guitar speaker is like sending it through a cab twice
Cab modeling off of course. The Katana just coloured the tone too much and was pretty weak. I later used a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 for a while, much much better. I finally ended up with a VHT 2/50/2, haven't tried it with my III yet, but I'll bet it will be epic. :)

Well get to it man! :D

What kind of speakers did you use with the 170 and what will you be using with the VHT?
Haha yeah I have to get around to it, just enjoying the III though my studio monitors now.
I used the 170 with two Barefaced 1x12" with V30s , and it was all right , but as the V30's aren a fave of mine in 1x12's, I just installed Redbacks in them just yesterday! Tried them with a head and it was definitely an improvement over the V30's to me. :)

I just got a pair of Klasik 2020 monitors...and they are causing me to spend way to much time in the sweet spot of my studio ...wailing away to many different genre's and hearing things I never heard before.

The are amazing in my estimation.

There is no such thing as FRFR, and imo you should reasonably expect to add a global eq to match your choice of amp/ speaker.
While I have not used my katana 100 with the AX8, I have used it with other modelers, and found that aux in, fx return and amp input (acoustic amp, for eq) present differently..and I have found enjoyable and useable results.. the katana can move air, and be eq’ d to suit so there is not a lot to dislike for the money..

Back
Top Bottom