Kansas: V.7 tone before V.8

swass

Power User
While I thoroughly enjoy all the tone and amp matching capabilities with the Axe II, creating a tone is still my real passion with this machine. This was (and still will be) a guitar tone I was working on before V.8 dropped. I was going to add some leads but Kansas's rhythm work on this tune is sooo cool and fun to play. I think a lot of guys overlook it. Maybe I'll add leads down the road of V.8. Also didn't want to impede the tone itself with nonsensical's. Excuse the "flubs". There are some indeed. I was not pressing myself in a harsh/stern way to perfection.

Done with: '73 Strat, JCM 800 amp model w/ SLM G65(OH) cab

Mainly two guitar tracks using the same preset. Just some minor EQing on the guitar tracks and pitch shifted backing track down 1/2 step. Comments on the tone are welcome... I really dislike SoundCloud... but it's free and gets a point across.

(edit): re-did guitar levels. a little strong and needed to pan harder.

Carry On Wayward Son2 by Swass on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited:
Very nice metal-ing up of this classic! Some great palm muting in there as well as nicely placed pinch harmonics! :) Neck pickup at 3:26?

Thanks Lawrence. I appreciate the complimentary critique. Don't be hesitant about critiquing the dirt as well. This daw stuff is still pretty green to me. :mrgreen

(edit): Yes. Neck PU @ 3:26)

Last edited:
Thanks. Did that in '96 when the CD came out... man was that an expensive disc to order in and buy.

there is one?

Yup. CD is called "Inspirations". Some cool covers on it. His tone, (among other players) over the years has really influenced what I want in a tone. I just look for more teeth and a throaty growl.

Check out also Gates of Babylon version that Yngwie made in the same album! Awesome. For sure his tone is awesome in those years! Someone should do his stuff on the Axe FX! You´re a possible candidate swass! Your strat tone is very similar ;)

^^^ :shock... Ha!... Noway man. Not me. I'm one of those guys who just find it impossible to cover note for note without adding any individuality as hard as I have tried in the past. I got the mechanics but not the mentality/discipline. If I had the discipline I would of tone matched the original guitar tracks and played as Kerry Livgren did... and without stepping down the pitch of the whole tune.

Thanks for the compliment nonetheless. I won't set myself up for that kind of ridicule, (considering who I'd be mimicking). I barely find the time to keep my chops up as is, let alone indulge myself in the Axe on the quest for the one perfect tone... or two... or three... or fifty. :D

Again, thanks. I do sincerely appreciate the compliment but there are more qualified guys here on the forum for this task.

Back
Top Bottom