Kalium strings and extended scales. A studio comparison. All tones are AXE-FX2 fw16

erockomania

Experienced
Hey guys! I did a comparison video demonstrating (to the best of my ability) the differences a set of strings can make as well as the qualities of an extended scale/34-37" Dingwall Combustion vs a 35" scale Ibanez BTB675... two fairly common basses for modern, low tuned music.

http://youtu.be/LNvl_agBqXI?list=UUo3F96xTowEgPQaBww_J-wA

Each pass is utilizing the exact same Axe-FX2 bass patch (USA BASS with stock cab) with the same settings so you can come to your own conclusions on which bass and strings you prefer. To be fair, the bass patch was dialed while using the BTB and used for all with no adjustments made for the bass… the Dingwall was not utilized at all while creating the patch. As stated in the video, nothing is very complex at all about the riffs as they were simply meant to show what most companies say is the strong suit of custom gauge strings and extended scales… low end note clarity and intonation.

The guitar tracks are an HBE mid-gain patch with Ownhammer IRs for heavy and Fender Deluxe with stock UR cab for the intro.

While this is not a completely scientific test, I did try to play the parts as close as possible to each other and used the same pick, compression and EQ. The bass EQs were set on center detents or mid-way.

I think the results speak for themselves. I was actually pretty surprised with what was audible in the mix as well as solo’d.

In the description on youtube, you will find a link to the DIs of the basses as well if you want to play around with them a bit yourself and remove the “mix” from the tracks.

Also, I uploaded a full mix of each bass with both sets of strings here… 4 version total… for straight up comparisons. Enjoy!

Awesome, Eric!

Just tossed the same set on my Dingwall yesterday actually. Bright and roaring. I love these things!

Kalium strings definitely have a unique sound. I was surprised by just how different they sound. I'm still not sure whether or not I like that difference.

That is growling sooo nicely through my headphones! Nearly made my eyes pop out but really enjoyed listening to it. :)

Back
Top Bottom