K12's and a fresh 6.0 Axe FX 2

Vhalen50

Experienced
I did the inevitable and retired my 5150 2x12 in favor for 2 QSC K12's monitors to keep my setup small for touring. Only thing, is I'm not sure if I am just too used to a guitar cab but all the tones sound brittle and harsh or overly boomy.(stock mind you, i erased all my 5.X presets and uploaded clean 6.0 and started from there) I've kept all the settings on the k12's flat, no eq curves and the volumes both equally halfway while using the Axe output 1 for the volume.

Any thoughts? Im planning on for live ill just send output 2 to the main mix and have output 1 be for my monitors on stage.

same setup here, i have to use the hi and low cuts in the amp block to remove the unnatural freq. start w 80 on low, 10k on high. the class d power can put out some hi freq that girls hate!! and the k12's have some serious low end if you need it.(guitar synths, backing tracks)

was using 2 evm12ls along side the qsc's to get the bounce, with 6, i dont feel i need it anymore, it has never sounded better frfr IMHO.

another thing....

you have parallel outputs on the k12's get your sound there, and send the outs to FOH, this leaves out 2 free (i was using carvin-evm's and global eqing that to taste)
so im gonna try it for a while to see if i miss dragging the 212 around and mixing them both on stage.

Last edited:
The K12 was the first FRFR I bought for my Ultra, and returned it for the same reasons you are talking about. The low end was overly hyped, and the high end was brittle. I ended up buying an FBT Verve 12ma... a MUCH more even sounding and punchy powered monitor.

same setup here, i have to use the hi and low cuts in the amp block to remove the unnatural freq. start w 80 on low, 10k on high. the class d power can put out some hi freq that girls hate!! and the k12's have some serious low end if you need it.

was using 2 evm12ls along side the qsc's to get the bounce, with 6, i dont feel i need it anymore, it has never sounded better frfr IMHO.

another thing....

you have parallel outputs on the k12's get your sound there and send the outs to FOH, this leaves out 2 free (i was using carvin-evms)

Thats an awesome idea, i want to eventually move to IEM but for now I'm using headphones and its very different from what I'm hearing out of the k12's. All of this is new to me lol. In the past year I've gone from a JSX half stack and a pedalboard with way too many pedals to a axe only system.

I'm using a pair of K12's as well. The highs can get brittle, especially when you turn them up. The lows are pretty true to my studio monitors, albeit much louder.

With FW 6.0, I'm finding the lows are much thicker which translates to some boom in the K12. Every amp block defaults to the bright switch being on (at least the ones I'm using) and turning that off tends to help with the highs as well.

pull out lows on amp or cab block, easy enough to eq around, not hard at all. I just got a K12 as well, bass hyped? turn down the bass. I have mine in the flat positions. or if everything has too much bass, trim down the global. Otherwise i love the k12, super loud, sounds good to me. The new 6 presets sound bassy to me, as others have pointed out, easy to fix.

I think a lot of people can dwell too much on FRFR speakers to the point of cork sniffery, much like anything.

I use k10s and I always do a "frowny" face EQ because of too much bass and treble inherent in the speaker. It's meant to throw a lot of sound very far, so for closer use, turn those freqs down. I know some who use the low-cut/sub-out switch to cut the lows on the speaker for guitar use, but I just EQ it from the axe.

I use k10s and I always do a "frowny" face EQ because of too much bass and treble inherent in the speaker. It's meant to throw a lot of sound very far, so for closer use, turn those freqs down. I know some who use the low-cut/sub-out switch to cut the lows on the speaker for guitar use, but I just EQ it from the axe.

Thats a good idea, ill try with adjusting the global EQ. Ive always taken a more "realistic" approach to it I guess, by not using the EQ blocks or adjusting the global, but now that I'm in the FRFR playing field, I should.

That is one of the Reason I went with the K8's
Guitar doesn't need all that Bass...
One thing to Check is to Turn the External Sub on the LF Switch. This will cut some Lows with a Band Pass.
QSC.jpg

Another advantage is the 8" Subwoofer Has a Wider Angle of Projection.
I use One on the Floor with Our Vocal Feed in the Other Input.
The 2nd One is for Side Washing the Stage so the Bass Player and Drummer can Hear me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom