K, so I just ordered some Stringjoy strings to try them out....

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
9-46. From their site on their 9-42 set, the explanation for their gauge choices:
So these might look like a typical set of 9s (or Super Lights, or Extra Lights—everyone seems to call ‘em something different…), but trust me, they’re not.
The standard for 9s is typically 9-11-16-24-32-42, and while the gauges on the bottom end are solid, the top is all kinds of messed up. Why some other companies make them that way, I honestly couldn’t tell you—but never fear! We’ve fixed all that for you.
See, the issue on most sets is that the .011 has far too little tension to balance with the .009 and the .016 has far too much tension. So, with our Balanced 9s we fix all that by using a .012 and a .015 instead.
The result is a set of strings that plays evenly across the entire fretboard and intonates better when set up properly. If you’re typically a 9s player, these are definitely the way to go.

Sound good? Rad. Hit the blue button below to add these to your cart.

Gauges: .009 – .012 – .015 – .024w – .032 – .042"

From their site on their 9-46 set, the list of their gauge choices for the set I ordered:
Our Husky 9s split the difference between our Balanced 9s and our Heavy Bottom 9s. Just a bit more tension on the wound strings, without it being too much.
Sound good? Rad. Hit the blue button below to add these to your cart.
Gauges: .009 – .012 – .015 – .026w – .034 – .046

I have used EB 9-46 Hybrid Slinkies for a long time due to them being pretty good, pretty cheap, and pretty easy to find. I guess we'll see how these go....

The shop made up a custom 12-string set for my 360/12 using a D'addario set and some extra single strings now that I think of it, and they weren't bad. Maybe I got a few sets from a bum batch. 🤷‍♂️

I have tried D'Addario stings several times in the '90s with no joy. Not sure why it was anymore, but they left a bad impression that has stuck since....

I used to hate D’Addario’s but gave the NYXL’s a shot on a whim and now they’re the only strings I use for my guitars. They seem to have both a great snap while having some girth in the low end, almost like the difference you hear between an ebony and a rosewood board, if that makes sense.

I’ve been considering some String Joy’s for my basses as I‘ve had a nightmare of a time finding balance across all the strings. NYXL’s didn’t fair too well, though I can’t remember why as I went through 5-6 packs of strings in a couple weeks trying to get the right gauge/tone out of my Warwick.

I had Stringjoy create two packs of strings for me, so that I could set up a guitar in Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG). The strings are really great and to my surprise, the guitar did not require any setup changes.

I'd love to try Stringjoy, but 2x the cost of a standard set is a bit hard to swallow (I go through a decent amount of strings)

I've been using 9 - 46 sets for decades. I used GHS Boomers for years, but more recently the Pumpkin Spice Ernie Ball Slinky Hybrid set. I'll be interested to see your opinion of the Stringjoy version. I'm also using D'Addario 9-42s on my PRE SE 245, primarily because that's what it came with and that's what the fixed bridge was set for when I got it. I've tried the NYXLs on that guitar and liked them as well, but they didn't last enough longer to warrant the additional price for me.

I have used NYXL's 9-242 since they came out, except I have "always" changed the G 16 to a 15. Everything just felt better.

I love the 9 and 10 balanced gauge sets for my guitars. They feel great, play great, and last IMHO. They may cost a little more, but I really like them.

Installed them on my PRS SE Standard 24, along with upgrading the tuners to Grover Mini Rotomatic 406C auto-locking ones. I swapped the PRS tuners' knobs onto them for a "stealth" upgrade. 9-46.

20200902_223721.jpg

First impression: very smooth and silky plain strings, very good volume balance from string to string, G is a little softer, B and E are a little stiffer. Low strings are crisp and full, and feel a smidgen stiffer than the EB Hybrid Slinkies - perhaps the core wire is a little heavier and the wrap wound around it is a little thinner.

Will keep playing them for a while and report back.

Broke a B and an E right at the peg stretching them in. It may be the locking tuner or how I strung it, so I am not going to hold that against Stringjoy. Will have to get them to send me a few each of their 9 and 12 gauge strings.

Next up, putting a set on my Strat....

Wellp, I put a set on my Strat. No issues with the B or E strings. I was a tad gentler on the stretching when installing, and these are older Grover mini-Rotomatic auto-locking tuners.

They sound really good on my Strat. String-to-string balance is just that little bit better that is the cherry on top of the sundae, oozing maraschino juice down into the whipped cream on top, and topping off the banana split perfectly....

I wonder if there's a Carvel anywhere near here....

Anyhoo, they also sound good on the PRS. I will likely order more in the future for other guitars' restringing as they come up. :)

Compared the Stringjoys' feel to some freshly-installed EB 9-46 on a different guitar (my Gecko Thinline Tele). The Stringjoy plain strings almost feel like they are lubricated, or polished down to a microscopic level. Super silky and smooooooooooooove. The EB plain strings feel like normal plain strings, and you can feel and hear a bit of high-frequency finger sliding noise even on the plain strings, even when new, as if they are ever so slightly rougher and/or unpolished....

I usually use a 10-46 set on my guitars, but started to experiment with the Strinjoy 9.5 - 46 set recently. It feels really like the strings are somehow more musical and responsive, as compared with my usual D'Addarios.

I usually use a 10-46 set on my guitars, but started to experiment with the Strinjoy 9.5 - 46 set recently. It feels really like the strings are somehow more musical and responsive, as compared with my usual D'Addarios.
Did you ever try the Stringjoy 10-48 set?
I've been a 10s guy for a long time.

Also, I didn't see anything on their site about the polish/smoothness thing you guys mention. Did I miss where they said what they do the create that?

And what about hex vs round core? They say round gives you vintage tone. What's that mean? Mellower? Anybody tried the round ones?

Did you ever try the Stringjoy 10-48 set?
I've been a 10s guy for a long time.

Also, I didn't see anything on their site about the polish/smoothness thing you guys mention. Did I miss where they said what they do the create that?

And what about hex vs round core? They say round gives you vintage tone. What's that mean? Mellower? Anybody tried the round ones?
I did use some of their 10-48 strings. I liked the sound on my tele especially. I put the 9.5 gauge on a Strat as an experiment, and loved the better balance of tension when bending. Interesting, I didn't have to do anything to my Strat's setup to accommodate the slight difference in the gauge. I haven't tried the lighter gauge on my Strandberg Boded yet, but next time I restring I might check them out. That guitar's multi scale neck already provides a nice tightness on the low strings that isn't present on my other instruments. The 10-48 set is amazing on that guitar.

Their strings are awesome. Last year I mashed together a 6 string drop a# set that was pretty good but not quite what I was looking for. I came across Stringjoy and e-mailed them. The owner e-mailed me back with recomendations and a link to their tension calculator which was not publicly available but in beta at the time. I ended up with a perfect set for me. The key for my setup was a wound 3rd string and more tension on the bass side. I ended up with a set that I never would have put together. On paper it looks strange,especially with a .68 a# but it works and I don’t even notice the gauge.
AB4FF73C-CE63-43A3-8270-F106B65BB808.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom