JVM 410 model issue

Heavyplayer

Experienced
Does anyone else use this amp model? So I been playing around with this amp model using Joe Satriani settings and noticed the OD 1 Orange and Red channels sound like way too much compression going on, to the point of cutting the sound of the notes. Bug? Because none of the other channels to this and I have the same gain settings. I even tried the JS model. Really notice it doing staccato picking.

To try this use this amp model default settings.

The orange and red channels of the JS410 sound great. Particularly good in fact. Joe's signature amp is not the same as the original JVM410. Joe's signature amp sounds way better to me. Fractal hasn't modeled the clean green channel for it yet though.

The orange and red channels of the JS410 sound great. Particularly good in fact. Joe's signature amp is not the same as the original JVM410. Joe's signature amp sounds way better to me. Fractal hasn't modeled the clean green channel for it yet though.

Both amps sound great. However, there is an issue with the 410 model no way can those channels I mentioned above compress this much.

Because the Green channel only has one tone stack hanging off the cathode follower. See the schematic for details.

One more attempt. :) Shouldn't the OD 2 channel do this more then channel 1 then? Being it's a higher gain channel.
No. OD1 has a different tone stack. The gains are the same. I can't say anymore without giving away proprietary information. The models are very accurate.

You know the "Big Hair" model you created, these channels have that same compression squish. That's normal on just these two channels on the OD1, and not on any other channel or not at all on the JS model? Just want to clarify.

The JS is a different amp. Same basic topology but different component values. Probably to get rid of some of that compression.

I mean they amp sounds good, just playing lead on those two channels kind of sucks at times because of the compression clamping so hard on the notes, it's killing the sound. Just checking as I thought it might be a bug.

@Randalljax Not exactly... read yek's amp guide for the development of the JVM410HJS.

I'm digging the JS410 Orange/Red Crunch as more versatile than the lead channels.

The JS is a different amp. Same basic topology but different component values. Probably to get rid of some of that compression.
I recently watched an interview with Joe Satriani where he said he had them make some changes to get rid of the compression.

This is exactly what I love about the JVM for leads (both the real ones, and the FA Models). For the right applications, that compression really adds to that "vocal quality". But I never liked it for heavily muted rhythms.

Back
Top Bottom