Just wondering....is the Axe Fx II used in any major studios?

webe123

Inspired
I was just wondering if the Axe Fx II is being used in any major studios or on any major label albums?

OR do they still just prefer a mic to a tube amp going into the board?

Anyone know?

I dont know the answer but in my experience i can never convince them to use an axe fx. i just get the usual " modellers just dont cut it, they sound digital". I think sound engineers knows what works and want to use there own recording tecniques which is fair enough.

On our next album we are recording drums and bass in the studio then recording guitars myself. im quite a mixer too you see.

And studio`s will loose money if they don`t listen to the customers. We`ll just do it ourself.

Strange that a paying customer have to convince the one he/she is buying services from. This will work in very few trades.

And studio`s will loose money if they don`t listen to the customers. We`ll just do it ourself.

Strange that a paying customer have to convince the one he/she is buying services from. This will work in very few trades.
I was not talking about studios where customers pay for studio time.....I was referring to major label studios like Columbia that record big name acts that actually have contracts and recording careers!

I was not talking about studios where customers pay for studio time.....I was referring to major label studios like Columbia that record big name acts that actually have contracts and recording careers!

Well. Then it depends of who you are and who you work with... Time will change this. It`s not many years ago modeling stuff was not used (or looked at) by a LOT of the users here now.
I guess as the younger generation takes over the studios and record labels, it will be used more i think.
These days it may be used more than we know. After all, if you are endorsing something and not using it. You will not tell it to anyone IMHO.

I would like to know too though :)

I was referring to major label studios like Columbia that record big name acts that actually have contracts and recording careers!

It doesn't work like that anymore. Up until the mid-1960s, a band or artist with a Columbia (since you cited it as an example) record deal went to Columbia studios to record their album. The producer and engineering staff would've all been employed by Columbia, and the band or artist wouldn't be in charge of any important tracking or mixing decisions; in fact, they'd likely never even enter the control room! The Beatles broke that "glass wall" as they began to accrue the kind of clout that empowered them to take a stronger hand in the recording process. George Martin, in that context, played an important role in developing the template for the modern-day producer, starting out as an EMI employee who told the band what to do, but eventually becoming a guiding partner with the band, more interested in helping them find ways to realize their ideas.

Today, the decision about how to record guitar is ultimately up to the producer and artist. The engineer has a say, but really, it's only up to the engineer to enable the actual recording of each instrument according to the producer's aesthetic concept for the album. The "studio" (whether you're talking about the actual facility or the label, though they are two distinct things) has no say in the process whatsoever. In fact, most major labels don't even have their own studios anymore. I've worked at A&M's studio, as well as the old studio in the basement of the "record-stack" Capitol building in Hollywood, and neither of the artists I was there for were recording for the labels that owned the facilities.

Generally, the way things are today, if a guitarist who's part of a signed band has been using the Axe during the writing process, the producer is probably going to at least give it a chance. Even the most old-school guys would likely simultaneously record both via the method he's used to--mic'ing an amp--and the one the artist favors, leaving the final decision to whichever sounds best during the mixing.

Last edited:
I have a pro friend using an axe II in France, the way studio he records in worked was the following: they used his axe to get in the ballpark of what tone he actually wanted, and the engineer told him "ok, I see", went to forage for an amp/cab/mike and set the dials on it himself, and asked my friend to try it. Friend found the tone good and used the amp. Was more of a matter of time than sound, the studio guy knew how to nail tone "X" in a matter of minutes but didn't know how to work with an axe II, so it was more efficient to go with the amp. That said it's a studio with lots of amps available and it was gun for hire work, my pal couldn't just use his patches, he was asked to sound "like this" and finding the right combo in the axe would have taken longer.

Bang on the money there Mongoose!!

There's usually an auditioning period where everything's relaxed and you have all the time in the world to piss away a fortune in studio time and it is in these moments where you plug in your axe fx 2, to check the tone, and the Producer says, 'Fine ... next.'

We used the Ultra for a ll the leads / solos with our last album recording at The Panic Room, in Sweden. Thomas 'Plec' Johansson is a mastering wizard, and one hell of an engineer. We ended up using real amps for the ryth sections, but the same thing as mentioned before, showing him the sound we were going for then he dialed it in on the real amps. With the leads, it was faster to get that brilliant smooth, studio lead sound with a patch I had already made, and we ended up using that.

Michael Dolce is using the Axe-FX II on the Australian version of 'The Voice'. He'll be posting live during the show on his Facebook page, answering questions about what amps and effects he is using. All of the 'The Voice' recordings done at Studio 301 for the iTunes releases are done with Michael using his Axe-Fx II direct to the console: Michael Dolce Axe fx 2 Patches - YouTube

I was just wondering if the Axe Fx II is being used in any major studios or on any major label albums?

OR do they still just prefer a mic to a tube amp going into the board?

Anyone know?

Deftones guitars on latest album were all AxeFx 2 I believe....

The tide is turning. You will see some major announcements over the coming months in this regard. And I'm talking some of the biggest bands in the history of R&R.

Right on Cliff! Congrats! I can't imagine how you feel every time you pick up another big name.

The tide is turning. You will see some major announcements over the coming months in this regard. And I'm talking some of the biggest bands in the history of R&R.

-That pretty much leaves:
AC/DC (I don't believe it for a second)
U2 (credible)
The Rolling Stones (no way I see Keith richards using an axe II)
Pink Floyd - Maybe
Iron Maiden - not really see it coming.
Metallica: they're in it for the endorsements, so, no.

Who's bigger than the above today that I missed ?

Malcolm Young from ACDC used AmpliTube (VST software) on a few songs on the Black Ice album.
I would not be surprised if ACDC is in the list.

Back
Top Bottom