Just when I thought this was the bomb...it gets even better!

SteveW

Experienced
I watched Leon Todd's video on the Pitch Follower modifier, which I hadn't even bothered to learn about beforehand.

Watched the Video and tried it out on the on the overdrive one of my presets....very cool feature indeed!!! Wow!! Time to try it on a few other pedals now

Too bad the Kemper mods on their boards dissed it - I think it's one of the coolest features ever!

I find it useful for EQ changes depending on note, and for tracking the center frequency of a wha. Great for simulated controlled feedback. I'm interested in ways other people use it as well.

I have been trying to use this feature and I'm not able to get it work across the board. For instance when I attach it to the input trip on the JP IIC+ model it works but if I try the same on the input trim a blues jr it does not seem to work. Is there something to the set up of the Pitch follower that needs to be looked into. I followed Leon's video closely and mirrored the settings as well.

I have been trying to use this feature and I'm not able to get it work across the board. For instance when I attach it to the input trip on the JP IIC+ model it works but if I try the same on the input trim a blues jr it does not seem to work. Is there something to the set up of the Pitch follower that needs to be looked into. I followed Leon's video closely and mirrored the settings as well.
You're doing something wrong or not understanding what's happening.

The Pitch Follower is just a controller that can be assigned to one or more modifiers. It will adjust the modifier based on the detected pitch.

Based on it's nature it works best on single notes.

The JP2C is a high gain amp and the Blues Junior is a low gain amp. Adjusting the Input Trim on both is not going to yield the same results. Try doing it manually and compare.

You're doing something wrong or not understanding what's happening.

The Pitch Follower is just a controller that can be assigned to one or more modifiers. It will adjust the modifier based on the detected pitch.

Based on it's nature it works best on single notes.

The JP2C is a high gain amp and the Blues Junior is a low gain amp. Adjusting the Input Trim on both is not going to yield the same results. Try doing it manually and compare.

Thanks a lot. So as I suspected it should work regardless of the amp model then. I'm probably not understanding/setting it up correctly then. Let me work on it more and will report back. Need to watch Leon's video again :)

Thanks a lot. So as I suspected it should work regardless of the amp model then. I'm probably not understanding/setting it up correctly then. Let me work on it more and will report back. Need to watch Leon's video again :)
Correct... It works the same way regardless of what it's attached to. The dependency is down to what you're modifying with it.

Pitch and envelope followers feel to me like one of the more fertile places for new ideas and creativity. I like setting the compression threshhold to the pitch follower for tighter lows, but more head room on melodic lines and leads. I also recommend setting tremolo rate to the envelope follower so it slows as you play more softly, beautiful sound when you hit a big chord and let it ring. I have only dabbled in trying less obvious options. Possibilities seem endless. Probably worth trying on dozens of effects settings.

The expression pedal also gives a lot of possibilities that I haven't fully explored, and probably never can, given the number of combinations and options you could try.

Correct... It works the same way regardless of what it's attached to. The dependency is down to what you're modifying with it.

So I tried this and found that the pitch input is set to Input 2 in the default mode...once I set it to input 1 it started working...thanks again...wonder why that was working in some of the patches but not all...

Last edited:
So I tried this and found that the pitch input is set to Input 2 in the default mode...once I set it to input 1 it started working...thanks again...wonder why that was working in some of the patches but not all...
Weird... I don't think that's actually the default as I use it with Input 1 and I've never changed it.

I just thought of an interesting thing to try when I'm home from vacation:

Use the Pitch Follower assigned to the various bands in a Graphic EQ so that I can have a different EQ shape for high vs low pitched notes.
That is a nice trick that I've been using when the clean or edge-of-breakup solos sound anemic and thin at the high notes. I use a parametric EQ to bump the Mid-Low for the higher notes only.

Better results than using heavy gauge strings

Last edited:
I used the pitch follower to fine tune my 8-string's response so it cuts low end when playing the low notes and turns bass up and treble down on the high notes. Really helped balancing the tone just right and worked mostly well but it does not seem to detect pitches below the low E string notes, namely my 7th and 8th string seem to behave just like the 6th. This is not much of an issue but not sure if it's a setup problem or a limitation of pitch detection?

One thing I haven't figured out is can you attach pitch follower only to every channel or a single channel? Can't I use for example pitch follower on ch A with settings X and ch B with settings Y but not on ch C and D? I have a FM3 rather than the Axe-Fx 3.

My settings to give body to the high notes (change frequency2 and Max to taste)

EQ1.png

EQ2.png
One thing I haven't figured out is can you attach pitch follower only to every channel or a single channel? Can't I use for example pitch follower on ch A with settings X and ch B with settings Y but not on ch C and D? I have a FM3 rather than the Axe-Fx 3.
At the Axe-FX III you can apply it ti a single channel or to all them. According to the Wiki, the FM3 modifier also has 4 channels
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/..._Control_Switches#Channels_or_X.2FY_switching

Seems to be exactly the same on FM3. The options are "All, chan A, chan B, chan C, chan D". So combinations like "only A and B" don't seem to be possible which is a bit of a bummer.
True, but it's better than ALL or NONE, which is what existed before...

I just thought of an interesting thing to try when I'm home from vacation:

Use the Pitch Follower assigned to the various bands in a Graphic EQ so that I can have a different EQ shape for high vs low pitched notes.

I was thinking about this to fatten up my leads on a thinner sounding pickup.

Back
Top Bottom