Just upgraded my computer, woooooo I forgot things could run so fast!

Pwrmac7600

Power User
So for the first time in 8 years I purchased a new computer. I was running a Mac Mini quad core i7 with 16gb of ram. It served me well for many years, but recently I upgraded a ton of my recording gear and software, and the ole girl was showing her age in trying to keep up. Pro Tools took forever to open, constantly kept erroring on me during sessions, Superior drummer 3 was having all kinds of fits when using huge kits. Needless to say, it was time.

So I purchased a new Mac Mini 6 core i7. I purchased it with only 8 gb of ram and then I upgraded it myself to 32gb. Also purchased an internal nVME SSD and installed it into an external thunderbolt 3 enclosure to transfer all of my session files onto. Holy hell does that drive fly!
Anywho, I was just so thrilled with how nice and fast everything was running i thought I would share my excitement!

Next is a display upgrade. Running a single 21.5" display now, thinking about upgrading to a 27", and using the 21.5" as a secondary monitor on a stacked stand.

Nice rig.

I considered a mac mini to replace my mid-14 MBP, but I would still need a monitor, mouse, dongle and keyboard. Those would cost more than the iMac Im considering. I'll be going from 8gb to 16gb RAM.

Currently I save my GB sessions and mp3 files to my HD, may start putting it all on an external nexy time around.

Happy tracking!

Nice rig.

I considered a mac mini to replace my mid-14 MBP, but I would still need a monitor, mouse, dongle and keyboard. Those would cost more than the iMac Im considering. I'll be going from 8gb to 16gb RAM.

Currently I save my GB sessions and mp3 files to my HD, may start putting it all on an external nexy time around.

Happy tracking!
I was contemplating the imac, but since I already had the monitor keyboard and trackball, it was way to pricey. The mac mini's do a fantastic job for what I do, running pro tools and what not. My old one served me well for a long time. But once I upgrade all my stuff to more current versions, it became soooooo slow. The 1tb thunderbolt SSD drive is the biggest improvement though. I was pricing externals, then discovered i could get something cheaper and faster by just buying an internal and an enclosure. Files load so damn quick. just loading kits in superior is more than twice as fast now.

So for the first time in 8 years I purchased a new computer. I was running a Mac Mini quad core i7 with 16gb of ram. It served me well for many years, but recently I upgraded a ton of my recording gear and software, and the ole girl was showing her age in trying to keep up. Pro Tools took forever to open, constantly kept erroring on me during sessions, Superior drummer 3 was having all kinds of fits when using huge kits. Needless to say, it was time.

So I purchased a new Mac Mini 6 core i7. I purchased it with only 8 gb of ram and then I upgraded it myself to 32gb. Also purchased an internal nVME SSD and installed it into an external thunderbolt 3 enclosure to transfer all of my session files onto. Holy hell does that drive fly!
Anywho, I was just so thrilled with how nice and fast everything was running i thought I would share my excitement!

Next is a display upgrade. Running a single 21.5" display now, thinking about upgrading to a 27", and using the 21.5" as a secondary monitor on a stacked stand.
I have pretty much the same setup with a 27 and 24 inch dual display. It rocks! All my remaining Macs are from 2012 ish. The mini was my first replacement and I will be looking to do the rest over the next year or so. Congrats!

I was contemplating the imac, but since I already had the monitor keyboard and trackball, it was way to pricey. The mac mini's do a fantastic job for what I do, running pro tools and what not. My old one served me well for a long time. But once I upgrade all my stuff to more current versions, it became soooooo slow. The 1tb thunderbolt SSD drive is the biggest improvement though. I was pricing externals, then discovered i could get something cheaper and faster by just buying an internal and an enclosure. Files load so damn quick. just loading kits in superior is more than twice as fast now.

I plan to use Logic when I upgrade. Sounds like a 256gb internal + a 256/512 ssd external will save some $ which always helps. Part of why I wanted iMac is I no longer need portability (and will have the mbp still) and everything I run uses USB-B. Not into the dongle life if I can help it haha.

My uses will be browsing, recording solo material, another attempt at drum programming, logic and file storage. My MBP was the first time recording went well and sounded decent. Im glad I cant find old old clips I made lol.

I just got a 34" curved ultrawide to use on my studio desk. It takes some getting used to. I think I like having multiple monitors on a stand more, but the price was alright. The wide windows when you want them are pretty nice.

I can't believe the Mac Minis are over $1000 now. I thought it was a great concept when they first came out with them way back, but now, shit, I just can't see going that way.

I just got a 34" curved ultrawide to use on my studio desk. It takes some getting used to. I think I like having multiple monitors on a stand more, but the price was alright. The wide windows when you want them are pretty nice.

I can't believe the Mac Minis are over $1000 now. I thought it was a great concept when they first came out with them way back, but now, shit, I just can't see going that way.
well when you consider the alternatives in the mac world...
The top of the line mac back in the days was only 1700.00, I had to stop buying the biggest and badest when the prices drove up over 2000.00. The price point of the Mac mini still falls within my budget, and in reality it is more computer than any of my older top of the line mac's were back in the day. I can't complain about the machines. My old quad core i7 was a hell of a machine back in 2012, and held up for many years after. This new 6 core i7 will hold it's own for many more years as well i'm sure. The only thing really lacking in the mini's is the graphics card, but I don't use my mac for anything that would require a better graphics set up anyway.

I felt like palpatine 'i'm so weak' with my trusty old 2009 iMac and like you, i recently bought exact same setup as you, and its 'unlimited powwwwwwwahhhh'. I did the diy memory upgrade too. I love how snappy everything is now. I'm using my 27" imac as a display and have another 27" monitor and use my ipad in sidecar mode which is cool. I use the ipad to run axe edit from a distance. I've been considering an external SSD. What kind of enclousre did you get?

I felt like palpatine 'i'm so weak' with my trusty old 2009 iMac and like you, i recently bought exact same setup as you, and its 'unlimited powwwwwwwahhhh'. I did the diy memory upgrade too. I love how snappy everything is now. I'm using my 27" imac as a display and have another 27" monitor and use my ipad in sidecar mode which is cool. I use the ipad to run axe edit from a distance. I've been considering an external SSD. What kind of enclousre did you get?
I ended up getting this one
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIDRAC&usg=AOvVaw2GAu6zGop5p6tESzE3o4Zt
It's a little pricey compared to others, but it has good reviews and I was worried about heat, and this one got great reviews for heat dissipation.

And I went with this for the actual drive
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1K_q3A_V3aGY_7Go1__Ii4
It's such a fast drive.

Meh, just like with your previous computers new software will eat up whatever gains you had. Every increase in CPU power, memory and HDD space always gets negated by ever more bloated and demanding software.

Back
Top Bottom