Just tried a Wet/Dry setup with 2 amps and the FX8

moltisanti

Inspired
Just tried a Wet/Dry setup with 2 amps and the FX8 - JCM800 with fx loop wet and a Tweed dry.

This was amazingly easy to setup - the JCM800 is running as normal, so the left pre out of the FX8 to the amp input, and then the post outs to the fx loop of the JCM800.

To add the 2nd amp, i just ran a cable from the Right pre out to the input of the tweed and hey presto both amps on together, in phase and no hum. (i can balance them using the Pre Balance on page 3 of the preset menu)

Did i get lucky, or is the FX8 just that good ?

I have both the FX8 and the Axe FX II. Nothing beats the amp in the room sound more than two amps in a room. Admittedly, I use my II more, mainly to limit stage volume. But, I sound like a god with the FX8 and a fender / vox amp combo. The FX8 + a tube amp and you'll forget about chasing FRFR.

the thing that struck me the most was how easy it was to set up, no messing around with phase, or millions of menus it just works

the thing that struck me the most was how easy it was to set up, no messing around with phase, or millions of menus it just works
Gonna try this today with my new FX8 and a Friedman Runt 20 combo with a VHT Special6 10"combo....cheers for the tip.

Last edited:
If you guys are running in stereo you need to go through the presets again. You will have a new respect for them. Maybe tweak some of the mono settings. Especially the Mark Day ones.

I'm running stereo through my Mark V:25 and Mini Rectifier 25. It is mesmerizing! I agree that it was a snap to get working. I am also using scene controllers to control VOL block pan for switching between the amps (A/B). The cool thing is that when I'm using one amp, the other is still giving me stereo effects from the FX loop. Bloody brilliant!

Yep, I do Wet/Dry with my Triple Rec and Mark IV as you described, or Wet/Wet with my Mark V and Mark IV. Support for sharing the effects in 2 loops was the reason I sold my G Major 2 for the FX8. It sounds amazing.

Yep, I do Wet/Dry with my Triple Rec and Mark IV as you described, or Wet/Wet with my Mark V and Mark IV. Support for sharing the effects in 2 loops was the reason I sold my G Major 2 for the FX8. It sounds amazing.

Can you explain the wet/wet setup? I am familiar with wet/dry/wet but not wet wet.

Can you explain the wet/wet setup? I am familiar with wet/dry/wet but not wet wet.

I think what he means is, both of his amps get the full effects signal chain. You might accomplish in two ways:

A) Configure the board to route all effects in 8 pre FX loop, and just run your main outs to the front of both amps.
B) Configure the board to have the FX loop anywhere in the signal chain, and then run 4CM on both amps simultaneously (think that's what he's doing).

The latter is obviously a little more complicated (but thanks to the FX8, pretty simply done) but in both instances, each amp receives the full and identical signal chain.

Did anyone figure out how to do a wet/dry/wet setup? I suppose it would only require to do what was mentioned on the first post + using the remaining out post to another amp

Yes I have a patch that works well with my Axe FX XL. It sounds awesome.

I’ll post when I get to my computer.

A real W/D/W setup needs a stereo power amp. Or two mono power amps, so that equals to 3 amps, and 3 cabs.

It is really simple.

Guitar in to your main tube amp.

Either the line out of that amp or use a tap off the speaker out ( Suhr line out or Dave Bray LO 1 works awesome) to post in of FX8.

Then post out left and right to input left and right of stereo power amp.

Then stereo out to left and right cabs.

So the purpose is to not have any effects through you amps effects loop and have them powered in stereo seperately.

Makes your tone pure and 3D. Awesome ping pong delays and chorus sounds out of this world.

I use a Carvin stereo SS DCM 200, single rack space, sounds phenomenal. It is better to use a SS amp as it does not color the effects, you keep your true amp tone from the speaker out and just amplify it with no colorstion.

Give this a try and you will trip out!!!!!

A real W/D/W setup needs a stereo power amp. Or two mono power amps, so that equals to 3 amps, and 3 cabs.

It is really simple.

Guitar in to your main tube amp.

Either the line out of that amp or use a tap off the speaker out ( Suhr line out or Dave Bray LO 1 works awesome) to post in of FX8.

Then post out left and right to input left and right of stereo power amp.

Then stereo out to left and right cabs.

So the purpose is to not have any effects through you amps effects loop and have them powered in stereo seperately.

Makes your tone pure and 3D. Awesome ping pong delays and chorus sounds out of this world.

I use a Carvin stereo SS DCM 200, single rack space, sounds phenomenal. It is better to use a SS amp as it does not color the effects, you keep your true amp tone from the speaker out and just amplify it with no colorstion.

Give this a try and you will trip out!!!!!

Awesome, thanks for the info. A few follow up questions...

1) You mention a SS poweramp is better. Is that because the Line-Out is AFTER the power section? For some reason I thought it was after the pre-amp, so I assumed a tube power amps would sound better. For example, I have a Mark V and thought a Mesa stereo power amp would be a better match for it. Is that wrong?

2) How does a true W/D/W setup compare to a W/W setup using 2 amp heads into their own cabs? Say 2 Mark V's with the FX8 stereo effects routed to both loops? Will the W/D/W sound/feel different? Will you still get the "multi track guitar sound" from a single amp using W/D/W as you do with 2 independent amps in a W/W setup?

1) Depends on the amps line out, if it is pre power amp or post, not all amps are the same. The speaker tap is the way to go for the purest tone. A tube power amp works too, but you will get a different tone that that of your main amp as it will get colored from the Mesa tube amp. A SS power amp just amplifies the signal without colorong it, so you get a duplicate effected signal of your main amps tone.

2)You will get a stereo sound this way, but not a 3 D tone. As you will be using two amps in stereo vs 3 amps in WDW.

If you have all the equipment, i would try all the scenarios and decide what you like best. For me it is WDW, listen to some Van Halen Balance era tones, this is what WDW sounds like, massive wall of tone. I got the idea from Eddie. With some detune effect, it is just massive!!!!!

There is an ongoing thread over at the rig talk forums about WDW rigs, lots of cool info.

Cant post the link as i dont have enough posts, but it is currently on the first page of the rig talk sub forum

1) Depends on the amps line out, if it is pre power amp or post, not all amps are the same. The speaker tap is the way to go for the purest tone. A tube power amp works too, but you will get a different tone that that of your main amp as it will get colored from the Mesa tube amp. A SS power amp just amplifies the signal without colorong it, so you get a duplicate effected signal of your main amps tone.

2)You will get a stereo sound this way, but not a 3 D tone. As you will be using two amps in stereo vs 3 amps in WDW.

If you have all the equipment, i would try all the scenarios and decide what you like best. For me it is WDW, listen to some Van Halen Balance era tones, this is what WDW sounds like, massive wall of tone. I got the idea from Eddie. With some detune effect, it is just massive!!!!!

I may just have to try it. The only issue is I don't have room for a 3rd 4x12. I do have room for a horizontal 2x12. Would the dry signal routed through a 2x12 and the Wet routed through the 2 4x12's be ok? Or would the 2x12 get drowned out?

I may just have to try it. The only issue is I don't have room for a 3rd 4x12. I do have room for a horizontal 2x12. Would the dry signal routed through a 2x12 and the Wet routed through the 2 4x12's be ok? Or would the 2x12 get drowned out?
That would work perfect also. Just adjust the effected 4x12's accordinlgy with the center 2x12 and you will be golden.

Worst case, if the 4x12's are stereo, put them in sereo but use only one input. You will be using only 2 speakers out of 4.

But it should be all good with the full 4x12's, just balance everything and jam!!!!!

That would work perfect also. Just adjust the effected 4x12's accordinlgy with the center 2x12 and you will be golden.

Worst case, if the 4x12's are stereo, put them in sereo but use only one input. You will be using only 2 speakers out of 4.

But it should be all good with the full 4x12's, just balance everything and jam!!!!!

The only downside I can think of right now is I would lose the Noise Gate from my FX8 on the center dry channel. hmmm

The only downside I can think of right now is I would lose the Noise Gate from my FX8 on the center dry channel. hmmm

Yes you would, i have an RJM rack gizmo with a Decimator and various favorite pedals for this purpose, that i kick in once in a while. So on my clean settings the Decimator is out. I have an Empress para EQ in there also to sculpt my tone.

Works great.

Back
Top Bottom