Just saw The Tubes - using Kemper

plyall

Power User
I had a great seat (took my grandson too) for The Tubes show last night in Agoura, CA at the Canyon Club. Overall take - they still have it! Fee Waybill was wild, but gracious. The musicians were certainly on top of their game. I was interested though to note that the guitar player was using a Kemper rack. In fact he had a Suhr H+H Start, some pedals and controllers, and the Kemper, running through a Line6 4x12.

Now I was sitting so close to the stage that most of what I heard was coming out of the amps directly. I did not like what I heard coming out of the Kemper. It seemed artificial, and the amp never 'ripped' I wondered how much of that was the Line6 cabinet, but I don't think I could blame it on the speakers. To be balanced, the clean tones were fairly decent, but not impressive.

I know there's a lot of discussion about the Kemper right now, and I'm sure there's a place for it in the space, but it didn't flip my burgers.

IMG_0875.jpg

We opened a show for those guys a couple of years ago in Corona CA, at a place called the M-15. The guitarist was using a supplied back-line Marshall head a mic'd (SM-57) Cab with his own pedal board. I honestly have no idea what he was using. But his FOH tone was KILLER! The hole band was really tight.

Back
Top Bottom