Just Saw Diesel @ $6/gallon!!! WTF!!

Yes. The tax holiday lasts for only 3 months, and the $90M lost will be taken from the $500M surplus transportation fund, which they wanted to use for infrastructure projects, so now it's $410M (which ain't a lot of money when you're talking about fixing roads & bridges anyway.) Whack-a-mole.
Fixing a hole isn't whack-a-mole. It's filling holes. Try brushing more often. :D

Actually it DID happen, the very instant Russia attacked Ukraine. 50%+ in the last 2 months...

But honestly. It is good for the planet if we drive a bit less.
I would agree except companies are flying empty planes to keep their ques at airports. The term carbon footprint came from a BP campaign.

The public isnt the problem but we’ve been lead to believe we are.

Way back I was living in NH and commuting crazy distances nightly gigging top 40. I got a Rabbit diesel, because it got great mileage and ran on diesel, which was way cheaper than regular then. I stopped paying much attention to diesel prices when I got rid of it, but I see that it's now significantly more then regular. Don't know when or why that happened, weird.

Here in Australia, converting litres to US gallons (which are different from Imperial gallons), we're paying around $9.55 per US gallon for plain old diesel. Diesel is currently about 20-30c per litre MORE expensive than unleaded. Shouldn't be.

Ok, but how would you feel if it went up 50% in the last 6 months? Oh wait, since you're trying to get off Russian energy, that's probably gonna happen.
That's what's happened in the last 2 months. Compared to back when Corona started the price has doubled. But looking at the way people still use their cars for very short distances, it's still too cheap apparently.

Reduction in energy imports has been a trend in US economic policy since.... oh, 2008.
You can see a general decline through both Dem and Rep administrations and how
the USA has now become a net exporter since Jan 2020.

1651875944837.png

"This graphic gives a more nuanced picture of events over time. It shows that our march toward energy independence stalled in 2015 and 2016. What happened in those years? That’s when Saudi Arabia tried to put the U.S. shale drillers out of business by flooding the market with oil and collapsing the price.

In 2017, we resumed the march toward energy independence. That happens to be the first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, but it also corresponds to Saudi Arabia waving the white flag and trying to prop oil prices back up. Between 2016 and 2018, the annual average price of West Texas Intermediate rose more than 50%. That price recovery helped boost oil production.

However, the graph also shows that once we first gained energy independence — which happened in April 2020 on a rolling 12-month basis — we have never lost it. But the downward trend switched directions in June 2021 (which covers the period of June 2020 through May 2021 — portions of both the Trump and Biden presidencies).

The average got close to zero, but it never changed back to a net import situation on a rolling 12-month basis. I would add that it’s not quite as bad as it looks if we were to factor in net exports of coal and natural gas. Further, if the trends in the past three months of 2021 continue, the graph will resume its decline. In other words, by this metric our level of energy independence will increase once again if these trends continue

But it’s safe to say — at least per this particular way of measuring energy independence (which is consistent with how the EIA measures is) — the U.S. is still energy independent." ~~~Forbes March 8, 2022

Last edited:
Fuel prices are nuts here in the panhandle of Florida diesel is $5:00 a gallon now what a bummer.

Energy as a whole...but it comes down to the petroleum balance...which is what this thread topic is about....the stroke of a pen killing keystone and restrictions/regulations on drilling has us once again begging OPEC to produce more. Yet another in a long list of failing policies that continue to hurt the middle class. That's not mentioning the corporate greed that takes advantage of already climbing prices to fill their coffers....at least we don't have air raid sirens blaring tho.

Last edited:
Energy as a whole...but it comes down to the petroleum balance...which is what this thread topic is about....the stroke of a pen killing keystone and restrictions/regulations on drilling has us once again begging OPEC to produce more. Yet another in a long list of failing policies that continue to hurt the middle class. That's not mentioning the corporate greed that takes advantage of already climbing prices to fill their coffers....at least we don't have air raid sirens blaring tho.
Keystone has no effect on this. Companies stopped drilling when demand dropped from Covid and never ramped back up because it’s easier to just continue price gouging.

Back
Top Bottom