Just received my MFC-101 (question about ethernet connector)

arstocker

I just received my new MFC-101 and the plastic ethernet connector inside the MFC wiggles quite a bit when I plug the ethernet cable. It seems loose and it feels like it might come off. Can anyone else confirm by looking at theirs?

Here is a video of it: Problem with MFC-101 ethernet port - YouTube

Thanks!

Last edited:
Edit: just saw your video. That's how all ethernet connections are. Just make sure your tab isn't flat (or worse, broken off) and you'll be fine.

That looks like the actual socket wiggling around. Not what I'd call ideal, is this how they all are?

Cheers.

As Scott says, that looks totally normal. Just as long as the tab clicks and it seats well you are good to go. I have mine in a stand that rolls so I simply secured the cable to it to prevent any movement of the connector while moving the unit around. You really should have nothing to worry about.

I just checked and it moves pretty much like yours. I have maybe had to plug/unplug it a total of 5 times since I bought it over a year ago with no issues. Seems pretty normal to me from my experiences over the years.

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing, and from what I read I think a few of you, might: (I could be wrong) missing something in the video. The port itself within the MFC is moving, very minimal but there. I picture a connection to a PC board solder joints getting stressed out every time you put in and remove the cable. Since it appears that might be the only thing holding it.

A little play when mated with the cable is normal (jack and connector floating a bit). I have done thousands of data and phone jacks and as far as the female connector whether it be a R12 or RJ45 at some ones desk, nothing moves.

This could be by design (I don’t know) but it does bother me a bit, easy solution, a little port replication. Might be a little unnecessary but piece of mind.
Does this on the AF II also.

John

Thanks for all your replies. To me it does not look (and feel) right. Maybe my video didn't do too much justice. I have connected many cables into routers, switches, PCI network cards, etc and it never looked like this. I even had a Line 6 FBV floorboard that I used to control my Flextone II head and it was not like this either. I will contact Fractal to see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom