Just Received my Axe FX II XL+...

Max_H

Inspired
... and holy hell this thing is simply amazing. Simply amazing. I've been fawning over this piece of gear since my sophomore year of high school and now, 6 years later, I have it and boy has it delivered on its promises. I have been a long time lurker of this forum, reading up on the updates and studying the tech notes, day dreaming about using this fine alien technology. Well I have it now so please allow me to gush about it.

This thing is so easy to use. People say it isn't "plug and play" but it really really is. The presets are fantastic and it's short work to create your own, just how you want it. People have said that the front panel isn't easy to use and I say those people are lazy. It's intuitive and quite simple to get yourself started. Sure, the advanced parameters are a little mind boggling but I just need to read up more on what they all do.

Now on to the tone...

My fantastic pair of sony studio headphones shit the bed a day before the axe fx arrived and I worried that my cheap $20 skull candy headphones that I use at work would not be up to the task but lo and behold I am so pleased. Sure I might not be getting the full frequency response that I might like, but hey, ignorance is bliss and when I DO get another pair of decent headphones I'm sure my socks will be blown off all over again.

The ability to create any rig that you could possibly dream of is truly spectacular. I don't see myself ever needing to buy an ("real") amp or pedals. This sweet piece of gear seems to be able to do whatever I could ever want. Within minutes I was able to create a preset that emulated Joe Satriani, a preset for Steve Vai, a preset for Stevie Ray Vaughan (I do a lot of covers) and create my own presets that showed me tones that I never even knew I wanted. My first solo tone that I built from scratch had a JVM (JS model) and a Buttery running side by side and after a little tweaking I swear I sounded exactly like Carlos Santana. The USA clean amps are so beautiful that even my girlfriend (who knows nothing of tone) remarked on how nice it sounded. Remember, I'm still using those $20 skull candy headphones. I could literally go on and on, extolling the virtues of every amp in the thing, but I'm sure you guys already know what they sound like ;)

So, all of the above in addition to the hyper flexible routing options, built in tuner and metronome, and that sweet sweet tone just adds up to one amazing device that shattered my ideas of what playing guitar could be like. I swear I'm already a better player simply because I sound better and that is most definitely the best part of the Axe FX. When I play, I play with more emotion and I catch myself grinning like a fool after one power chord. Because of this device, I am more motivated to play because simply, I sound how I want to sound.

Now I just can't wait until I get a decent monitoring solution so I can REALLY hear this thing's true potential.

In conclusion, I would like to thank Cliff and the whole Fractal Audio team for delivering to us lowly string benders, a gift beyond our wildest imaginations. You've truly done it, and thank you so so so much.

With much love,
Max

Hey, welcome to the family!

The fact that the Axe is so good can be a very good or a very bad thing, lol. It will spoil you. And if you decide to explore the FRFR route, be prepared to spend even more time (and possibly $$$) researching what you want.

Welcome! I've had mine for 2 months and I still can't get over how it sounds.

I believe it! I haven't gotten tired of it yet, although my hands have haha

Hey, welcome to the family!

The fact that the Axe is so good can be a very good or a very bad thing, lol. It will spoil you. And if you decide to explore the FRFR route, be prepared to spend even more time (and possibly $$$) researching what you want.

I am definitely spoiled for choice here. I thought it would be difficult to find a sound that I like out of all the options, but I must be easy to please. I'm sure I'll go FRFR at some point, but my next purchase will be some nice passive studio monitors like the yamaha hs80 which i've heard are quite good for my purposes.

Its is unequivocally the best device for its purpose. Welcome to the forum.

I believe so. Thank you!

... and holy hell this thing is simply amazing. Simply amazing. I've been fawning over this piece of gear since my sophomore year of high school and now, 6 years later, I have it and boy has it delivered on its promises. I have been a long time lurker of this forum, reading up on the updates and studying the tech notes, day dreaming about using this fine alien technology. Well I have it now so please allow me to gush about it.

This thing is so easy to use. People say it isn't "plug and play" but it really really is. The presets are fantastic and it's short work to create your own, just how you want it. People have said that the front panel isn't easy to use and I say those people are lazy. It's intuitive and quite simple to get yourself started. Sure, the advanced parameters are a little mind boggling but I just need to read up more on what they all do.

Now on to the tone...

My fantastic pair of sony studio headphones shit the bed a day before the axe fx arrived and I worried that my cheap $20 skull candy headphones that I use at work would not be up to the task but lo and behold I am so pleased. Sure I might not be getting the full frequency response that I might like, but hey, ignorance is bliss and when I DO get another pair of decent headphones I'm sure my socks will be blown off all over again.

The ability to create any rig that you could possibly dream of is truly spectacular. I don't see myself ever needing to buy an ("real") amp or pedals. This sweet piece of gear seems to be able to do whatever I could ever want. Within minutes I was able to create a preset that emulated Joe Satriani, a preset for Steve Vai, a preset for Stevie Ray Vaughan (I do a lot of covers) and create my own presets that showed me tones that I never even knew I wanted. My first solo tone that I built from scratch had a JVM (JS model) and a Buttery running side by side and after a little tweaking I swear I sounded exactly like Carlos Santana. The USA clean amps are so beautiful that even my girlfriend (who knows nothing of tone) remarked on how nice it sounded. Remember, I'm still using those $20 skull candy headphones. I could literally go on and on, extolling the virtues of every amp in the thing, but I'm sure you guys already know what they sound like ;)

So, all of the above in addition to the hyper flexible routing options, built in tuner and metronome, and that sweet sweet tone just adds up to one amazing device that shattered my ideas of what playing guitar could be like. I swear I'm already a better player simply because I sound better and that is most definitely the best part of the Axe FX. When I play, I play with more emotion and I catch myself grinning like a fool after one power chord. Because of this device, I am more motivated to play because simply, I sound how I want to sound.

Now I just can't wait until I get a decent monitoring solution so I can REALLY hear this thing's true potential.

In conclusion, I would like to thank Cliff and the whole Fractal Audio team for delivering to us lowly string benders, a gift beyond our wildest imaginations. You've truly done it, and thank you so so so much.

With much love,
Max

put down that headphone set and get a pair of good sounding (and big!) FrFr powered monitors or PA speakers... re-tweak your preset... and say bye-bye to your girlfriend! :p

Congratulations. I realize you spent a whole lot of money already, do yourself a favour, pick up a pair of ADAM AX7 and do a little room treatment. That is a recipe for never leaving your practice room...

Back
Top Bottom