Just realized after a year of tweaking ....

Billbill

Power User
1) I've never went into the Global menu. While testing my new Orange cab with and without sims...I freakin realized that amp sims were frikkin OFF!!! Wtf?!? No wonder why I felt something was missing lol. How could that even happen?
2) What does amp sag do? While running sims on I turned sag to "PA off" and the tone came alive!
Thanks

1) I've never went into the Global menu. While testing my new Orange cab with and without sims...I freakin realized that amp sims were frikkin OFF!!! Wtf?!? No wonder why I felt something was missing lol. How could that even happen?
2) What does amp sag do? While running sims on I turned sag to "PA off" and the tone came alive!
Thanks

Turns power amp modelling off. So you're just getting pre-amp modelling, if you want to use your own power amp, e.g. running into an FX loop on an amp. If you have it off running FRFR then it should sound wrong. How are you powering your Orange cab? What kind of poweramp?

Thanks
This has been known to occur sometimes during firmware updates, if my memory serves me.

Turns power amp modelling off. So you're just getting pre-amp modelling, if you want to use your own power amp, e.g. running into an FX loop on an amp. If you have it off running FRFR then it should sound wrong. How are you powering your Orange cab? What kind of poweramp?
I'm using the Matrix gt1000fx with it

This has been known to occur sometimes during firmware updates, if my memory serves me.
Anything can happen during an update but I've never done an update still running 6.03
Does turning off sag in amp block disable amp modeling Global or just in the preset.??

Sorry, what is the "Amp Sims" setting? Does OP mean "Power Amp Modelling"? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something myself.

Yes pwr amp modeling aka amp sim. After I realized this, I turned on pam and a lot of presets finally had what I'd been trying to dial up for over a year lol. About the sag knob, some presets sounded MUCH better with it off! Maybe due to how I laid the foundation for the preset when it was designed lol

Turning Sag all the way down will give you the same results as turning off power amp modeling globally. Both result in no power amp modeling in the amp block. Any presets you created with power amp modeling turned off will sound the same when Sag is turned all the way down.

Just a thought, when using a non master volume amp: if you are cranking the Master Volume it can have a drastic effect on the overall tone. It can easily turn a lot of amps to mud and you’ll lose your string definition, especially if you’re already getting a fair amount of gain from the preamp section. It can also effect how effective the tone controls are. You could also try turning way down the Master Volume see if that works for ya. Just turn up the patch level to make up for the volume loss you lose on the Master.

It happened once to me a few years ago, about FW 9. I went and played a gig the next night, w/ a different guitar that I'd never used w/ that band (Ibanez hollow body) and it sounded like @ss. I couldn't figure out why... the leader of the band was like "dude, I just don't think you should play that guitar for this kind of music" but it's an AS200, the 335 style and I *know* it can handle what we were playing ;-)

So at set break I was checking at all my cables, wireless, cab, etc and finally discovered the update must've turned off the power amp modeling. I fixed it, played the 2nd set w/ my PRS (to get back in everyone's good graces), and then pulled out the Ibby for the last set. They were really worried until we started, then I was like "see, I told you this guitar could rock!" ;-)

I've never updated my machine though. When I first got her I went in and verified all modeling/emulators were on because that's why I bought the machine! Never went back to the Global since! Was wondering how long it was off. Was also wondering how my past setups that I didn't like should have sounded if modeling was on, if it was off!
So maybe my dispare can teach others a lesson and being one of the MAIN settings in the machine, could be on the wishlist if not already on the axe3...to have small LED on front panel for "Modeling/Sim" when lit both are on. Lol

Back
Top Bottom