Just pulled the trigger on a new Ultra this morning

sarge

Power User
I did the unthinkable.

I went ahead and sold my Mesa Mark IV head to finance part of the purchase. Ordered through the yahoo store about an hour ago.

Did it without ever playing through one. Bit scared at this point but it was the plexi clips on youtube that convinced me.

Still have my Mesa Electradyne combo. No intention of getting rid of that any time soon. At worse if will be my power amp for the Axe.

A couple questions. I went through the thread that talks about midi interfaces that work and do not work with the axe fx. After just dropping a little over 2K on an axe fx, I want to spend as little as possible but still be able to upgrade firmware and use the PC interface.

OF the ones listed, the cheapest one I found was the EMU XMidi 1x1 at 29.99$. Is there anything cheaper out there that I can use to both upgrade firmware and run the PC interface?

Also, I am in the States in North Carolina. I ordered from the yahoo store linked from the fractal website. I used the standard UPS ground. Anyone have any rough estimate how long it will take to arrive? I didn't see any estimates when I ordered it.

Thanks

Sarge, you won't be disappointed. I just got my Axe FX Ultra yesterday....trust me..you will never need another guitar amp. As for shippping time you should have got a tracking number....?? that will let you know when to expect it. I got mine in four days and I live in Washington State. Also, your new Axe FX will come with the firmware update already installed so you don't have to go there...!!

It won't ship out until Monday pm if you ordered it today - out of Nashua NH.
I ordered mine with 3-day.. shipped Mon, was sitting in my local airport on Tues am.. and didn't get delivered until Thurs am.. <frustrating watching it sit>
Yes, you will get a tracking number by late Mon pm. Follow it that way :)
You'll love this unit - It's amazing !

Go on Ebay or Amazon and search for USB to Midi interfaces,
there are some uber cheap ones from China but they seem to be working quite nice for many, who knows.
The thing with midi interfaces is never that clear, it depends on few things like
your PCs OS, midi cables, drivers etc and bit of luck as well!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I was wondering why I had not received an email after I completed the order. I printed my receipt, but I guess I will get the email Monday.

I went regular UPS (the cheapest one). I'm hoping I have it by Friday.

I found some 5 dollar midi converters online I was just hesitant about whether they would work or not. But that is right. It's more then just the converter itself, it is you OS, your hardware ETC.

I am pretty pumped.

In the end it was this youtube that decided it for me. That is a great ACDC tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6npPEF_QuY

What ever this guys settings are I must have them. I played a 50 watt JMP cranked a few weeks ago at GC, and I swear his clip sounds just as good.

My house is small, and while I would love to have a soundproof room and cranked tube amps, it just isn't realistic.

I want something that sounds killer and that I can plug straight into my Tascam. From reading the reviews, I think I will have it.

Great forum you guys have hear as well.

I don't have one yet, but I have tried some of the cheaper USB to MIDI interfaces and had issues. I'm not discouraging you, but I'd either try to find a specific model that someone has had success with or keep in mind that it may be the issue if you can't get communications between the PC and the Ultra. I know for a fact that the m-audio Uno is absolutely the worst piece of garbage ever made.

Enjoy; I'm seriously jealous. I've got a guitar sitting on e-Bay that as soon as it sells I'm placing the order.

shasha said:
I know for a fact that the m-audio Uno is absolutely the worst piece of garbage ever made.
Funny [weird] you should say that 'cus I've been using one for years on XP (both x32 and x64) - and now with the Ultra [MS Drivers] on Win7 Ultimate x64 - and I've had no issues with it with ANY of my midi interfaces [GR33, GT10, VG99, PODXtL, X3L, Flex III, Korg Triton, PA80, Roland XP50 to name a few].

You must have gotten lucky then. I had issues that were so bad that the USB port ended up screwed up. Turns out that removing power from the PC will reinitialize them (good to know).

They may have fixed them, but there was a whole slew of them that were returned and there were issues posted all over the m-audio forums about them not working.

shasha said:
I don't have one yet, but I have tried some of the cheaper USB to MIDI interfaces and had issues. I'm not discouraging you, but I'd either try to find a specific model that someone has had success with or keep in mind that it may be the issue if you can't get communications between the PC and the Ultra. I know for a fact that the m-audio Uno is absolutely the worst piece of garbage ever made.

Enjoy; I'm seriously jealous. I've got a guitar sitting on e-Bay that as soon as it sells I'm placing the order.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru ... 90622.html
As you can see reading that topic
is quite impossible to be 100% which interface is gonna work for you,
it depends of few other things and not just the quality.
And I have been also using Uno both on PC and Mac, no problems at all.

Dude, for midi get one of the $6 interfaces off of eBay (type "midi interface" into the eBay search). I got mine the other day and it works perfectly (at least in Windows 7; the only OS I've tried it with) - no drivers necessary, just plug and play style. With shipping included the thing cost me, like, $6.88 or something, and considering it came from Hong Kong came fairly quickly in about 9 business days, I guess. Hell, buy two and save one for later when you will undoubtedly need another for some other piece of gear you didn't expect to get.

Just make sure you pay attention to the shipping costs. Some sellers are selling the unit for, like, $5 then with $20 shipping. I think mine actually cost $1 and then $5.xx for shipping. I have no idea how someone can profit at that price but whatever.

EDIT: Here's a link to the one I got from the seller I used.

Take food and sustenance into the room with you when you open that package... :)
it might be a couple of days before you come out !!
Don't want to get dehydrated :roll:

Back
Top Bottom