Just picked up a Slash Gibson Les Paul Standard in November Burst

dsouza

Experienced
I decided I needed to add a Les Paul to my collection and wanted the Slash sound.

So I picked up a brand new Slash Signature Gibson Les Paul Standard in November Burst last night.

Scheduled to arrive in a week.

Now I can finally play lovely G&R tunes... lol..

It cost me just under $5000 CAD with tax, free delivery.

Last edited:
I decided I needed to add a Les Paul to my collection and wanted the Slash sound.

So I picked up a brand new Slash Signature Gibson Les Paul Standard in November Burst last night.

Scheduled to arrive in a week.

Now I can finally play lovely G&R tunes... lol..

It cost me just under $5000 CAD with tax, free delivery.

Actually, I re-negotatied the cost down to about $4200 with tax and free delivery. Not bad. :)

Just curious, what is different about the “Slash” model? What gives it the “Slash“ sound?
On his G&R albums Slash used softer 1950’s type Gibson pups which are more gentle than the hard rock / metal sound of todays Gibson’s.

His signature sound is in the pups , the amp, and his royal hat 🎩

Great minds think alike! I got mine just before Christmas:
Thread 'NGD: Slash Les Paul'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-slash-les-paul.190125/

For those asking, the differences:
  • 59 neck profile (not labelled as such, but measures the same as R9s, reportedly)
  • “overwound” Burstbucker IIs. If they’re overwound, it’s just barely, so not sure this makes a difference.
  • often a one piece back for the body, instead of two, which is why they’re so heavy
  • AAA maple top for any burst finish, instead of AAs
  • has the Slash logo on the back of the headstock

I tried every single LP in the store and my Slash model had noticeably more volume and a sweeter tone than every single other one side by side in an A/B test. My wife, who doesn’t know much about this stuff, heard the same as me and was ruling out the other guitars faster than I was. I don’t know if they put more time into the Slash models at the factory or what, but they sound and play noticeably better than the Standards, they’re way cheaper than a reissue, and they get you into the same tone park.

On his G&R albums Slash used softer 1950’s type Gibson pups which are more gentle than the hard rock / metal sound of todays Gibson’s.

His signature sound is in the pups , the amp, and his royal hat 🎩
Got it. Thanks for the additional information. Enjoy your new ax!

Just curious, what is different about the “Slash” model? What gives it the “Slash“ sound?
I just realized that your question hasn't directly been answered. Nothing about this is particularly Slash in tone (at least, not more so than most other 50s or 60s Standards). On Appetite, he didn't even play a real Gibson (he had a clone). Slash's tone is basically a Marshall and an LP, and you can really do it with just about any LP.

What Slash does have is pretty good taste in LP specs, so what you get is a consistent spec that matches what he likes (which is quite similar to a 59 LP with an early 60s tone, based on how mine feels and sounds).

I don't like Slash that much, and I bought the guitar exclusively because my taste in LPs lines up with Slash's perfectly.

Last edited:
I just realized that your question hasn't directly been answered. Nothing about this is particularly Slash in tone (at least, not more so than most other 50s or 60s Standards). On Appetite, he didn't even play a real Gibson (he had a clone). Slash's tone is basically a Marshall and an LP, and you can really do it with just about any LP.

What Slash does have is pretty good taste in LP specs, so what you get is a consistent spec that matches what he likes (which is quite similar to a 59 LP with an early 60s tone, based on how mine feels and sounds).

I don't like Slash that much, and I bought the guitar exclusively because my taste in LPs lines up with Slash's perfectly.

In your thread you said it weighs around 9 lbs. Still agree with this assessment?
Did you weigh it?

You said it's loud. I hope dialed down I won't get evicted in my condo ?

I'm not exactly joking about this.... I've had Gibsons before and they can be loud. I already face one eviction notice in my place of residence. Don't want to get called out again.

Did you try it with high gain on low volumes? Was it still sweet sounding?

Last edited:
Haha fair point Budda!

I haven't weighed mine. I haven't seen any lighter than 8.5, and 10 seems common. Mine is at least 9. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 10. Should weigh it though. The weight doesn't bother me though; I routinely carry out a 25lb backpack filled with camera equipment.

As far as volume, it's loud, sure but if you're playing Fractal gear the volume output is all very much in your control...

My Slash Les Paul Standard in November Burst came in today.. I couldn't put it down. It was addictive. Love the sound and build on this one. Feels like home when I play it.

As far as volume , I cranked it up as loud as the same volume I use on my Strat. Which is pretty loud in a condo.

Even though it feels louder than the strat it doesn't hurt my ears as much on high gain songs as it's not as trebly. Loud yes it is, but a good kind of loud.

I'd say I can use it for 65% of the songs on my setlist. The remaining 35% will use my strat.

Doesn't feel too heavy to me at 9 or 10 lbs. I could barely tell the difference in weight between my 8 lb USA strat and this guitar.

Anyways good money spent on the Gibson.

My Slash Les Paul Standard in November Burst came in today.. I couldn't put it down. It was addictive. Love the sound and build on this one. Feels like home when I play it.

As far as volume , I cranked it up as loud as the same volume I use on my Strat. Which is pretty loud in a condo.

Even though it feels louder than the strat it doesn't hurt my ears as much on high gain songs as it's not as trebly. Loud yes it is, but a good kind of loud.

I'd say I can use it for 65% of the songs on my setlist. The remaining 35% will use my strat.

Doesn't feel too heavy to me at 9 or 10 lbs. I could barely tell the difference in weight between my 8 lb USA strat and this guitar.

Anyways good money spent on the Gibson.
Where are the pictures???
Happy to hear that you love your new guitar, enjoy!!!!

Easy there pardner......no one said anything about proof......we just wanted to check out your new guit!! icon_jumpgrin.gif

And it's a nice one!!

Back
Top Bottom