Just ordered the III - what to expect? *Updated with first impressions*

I have been a II user for a few years now. I have ordered the III this morning. The recent updates (reverbs, drives) have convinced me that it is worth upgrading. I installed the Ares beta firmware on the II and it blew me away, so the idea of everything evolving further excites me.

Any tips for first plugging in? Is the sonic upgrade negligible at this point?

Thanks.

You can convert any Axe FXII presets you've created with FracTool so they will work with the Axe FXIII.

I got one of the first Axe FXIII's and noticed little difference in sonic quality at first. There have been quite a few updates since then and all of them made noticeable improvements as compared to the Axe FXII. If you use the reverbs quality set on high you will notice that the reverbs sounds noticeably better than on the Axe FXII. You'll love the new cab block.
I am sure the Axe FXIII will continue to evolve and become even better. I think you will be very happy with the Axe FXIII.

Be sure to get on the list for one of the FCs, for the full orgasmic experience!:D

Last edited:
I received my 3 a week ago having upgraded from the 2XL+ (with the ARES update) and I have zero regrets. I haven't A/B'd the 2 to the 3 so it is hard for me to categorically say it sounds "better" but I think it does - richer would be my word for it. The cab block is just brilliant and I am matching cabs to amps better than I ever did with the 2 so I'm sure that is helping me to get better tones. I also LOVE the the 4 channel preset capacity. I can now put multiple channel models of the same amp (4 not 2) into the one preset which more accurately models the real world amp. For the Plexi's this is particularly useful.

I only use Axe Edit and the new version is stellar. Another interesting thing is I am finding more of the IR's sound great - maybe 20% of them are useful to me now whereas it was only about 10% before (rough numbers but don't want to exaggerate). It's significantly easier to dial in amps - once you get the tips from Leon Todd (my Axe FX guru) - the amps come to life much more noticeably than with the 2. I bought the 2XL+ as a "mature" product so I only benefited from a few updates - I've already had 2 in just over a week and the party has only just begun!

Buying the 2XL+ was the best gear buying decision I had ever made......until I bought the 3. My obsession has now gone to a new level :). Enjoy!!!

36x4Ata.gif

Expect being able to run more of the same, and some cool extra stuff like improved routing, interface etc

It’s better on every way, but the II was also very good. The III is an updated II so you pretty much know what to expect

Is the sonic upgrade negligible at this point?

In a word, no. It's not night and day, but it's not negligible. Not at all.

Unlike some others, I wasn't blown away by the stock presets. I noticed and really appreciated the sonic differences between the XL+ and III when I started laying down blocks and making my own presets. The audible differences between similar amp models in the XL+ generally seemed negligible to my ears, whereas I can really hear the character and differences now.

READ,READ ,READ ,READ the manual !!!!!!!!
1 > get use to "not being bored anymore",
2 >you`ll need to get used too not having any spare time .
3 >you`ll need to get used to people complimenting you ,on your TONE, coming from that black box.

1. Say goodbye to your wife
2. Make sure to tell her, that no matter what sounds she hears coming from your room, she is not to open the door, under any circumstances.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to receiving my Axe III next week. Having used the AX8 for the last several months, I am excited to see the enhancements the Ares modeling adds to already great amp models as well as the new reverbs and updated drive modeling.

Commenting on the wife subject, I have to brag on mine. The delivery date for the Axe shows it arriving on our wedding anniversary to which my wife simply said "happy anniversary sweetie!". I count myself as one of the lucky and blessed ones whose wife fully supports and embraces what they do musically and understands the gear disorder called GAS. In 30 years of playing, not once have I had her tell me to turn down, give it a rest or complain about helping me lug my gear around. She's definitely a keeper, especially since her parent's warranty period has long past.

I have been a II user for a few years now. I have ordered the III this morning. The recent updates (reverbs, drives) have convinced me that it is worth upgrading. I installed the Ares beta firmware on the II and it blew me away, so the idea of everything evolving further excites me.

Any tips for first plugging in? Is the sonic upgrade negligible at this point?

Thanks.
I would suggest Leon Todd YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/kingcrimsonscourt
He does all kinds of presets and instruction on his channel. Just go there and select videos at the top of the page and it is all free. He post everyday, knowledgeable, and free presets. Not all is Axe fx, but most is and it is free. He is really a great guy. Also, you can go to the Axe exchange https://axechange.fractalaudio.com to get free presets also. Leon's user name on there is 2112.

Camilo Velandia also has some great presets and knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLunyxFq4dtCUGriIk0yJ8Q
He is also on the axe exchange.

You also have people that charge for their services if you want to go that route. Cooper Carter is a good choice there I am told.

Another thing to do is go the recordings here and see who can actually play and who actually knows something. Subscribe to their YouTube Channel and you will have a ton of resources. There are a lot wanting to sell presets and knowledge. Search the free first.

I would suggest looking at Leon and Camilo's YouTube Channels and download their presets off Axe exchange, and watch their tutorials on how to do things, and if you need more, Cooper would be my next move.

The thing I like about Leon. He plays every style. Camilo is more of a jazz rock guy. Both great players. Between the two guys, you can cover any style out there with their presets. Leon is a real in depth guy that go from page to page showing what he does. I am one of these guys that likes to do things on my own, but I have found that the things that are deep in the axe can be helpful. You can make amps that have never been made before. You can change every aspect of any amp at any point. I really respect Cliff. He never stops trying to make fractal better. The closer the competitions gets, he comes back with something else that blows our mind.

Back
Top Bottom