Just ordered the FC6 - Who wanted the FC12 but got the FC6 and it sufficed?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Coming from the MFC101 that had a lot of buttons(although limited function compared to the FC's). I am on waiting list for the FC12 but the invite for the FC6 came and I thought I'd see how that worked and if I could make it work for my needs.

Who did the same and have been pleasantly surprised that they do not need the FC12 now?

On the MFC101 I had 10 presets per bank and 7 IA's. Never used scenes and may now to mitigate the now less buttons on the FC6.

Thanks!

Coming from the MFC101 that had a lot of buttons(although limited function compared to the FC's). I am on waiting list for the FC12 but the invite for the FC6 came and I thought I'd see how that worked and if I could make it work for my needs.

Who did the same and have been pleasantly surprised that they do not need the FC12 now?

On the MFC101 I had 10 presets per bank and 7 IA's. Never used scenes and may now to mitigate the now less buttons on the FC6.

Thanks!

I use scenes the ability. To toggle
1/2. 3/4 5/6 and then hold for tuner
And have another 3 switches up top unused is amazing the perform 1 and
2 alone can get me through any gig
I switch presets between songs

I was on the list for a 12, and I may still pick one up, but for now, I've been really pleasantly surprised with the FC-6. It's been able to handle what I need it to do really easily. The key for me is scenes, with a preset for each song. It's super flexible, so you could set it up a variety of ways depending on your workflow, but the FC-6 is really all I absolutely need- more buttons would be nice to have in a sense (just to have everything right there, immediately underfoot), but the FC-6 is doing the trick for now. I'm really enjoying the small size too! I can fit the FC-6 and an expression pedal in my Maxpedition Mongo, and it's fantastic to be able to travel so light.

Have both - prefer the 12 for better access to things in an un-structured music scenario. In my own band with a fixed playlist I could make the 6 work just fine and would prefer the smaller footprint on most stages around here.

Having owned the 6, I honestly wouldn't trade it for a 12, even if they were the exact same price. I simply don't find the extra switches are needed as I can easily group and access everything I need, as I need it, with the layouts of the 6. There are certainly some usage situations where more switches could prove helpful, but you can do an amazing amount of stuff with the 6, and the form factor saves a lot of horizontal space, allowing room for pedals and FC6 in a space that would barely fit the FC12 alone.

I originally wanted the FC-12, but got the FC-6 on the first early offer. I have no regrets. I'm sure an FC-12 might be handier in some ways, but for my current needs, on the typically cramped stages my band plays on, the FC-6 has been great, and in fact has far exceeded my expectations.

As a bonus, the FC-6 and three Mission expression pedals fits the same pedalboard and case that my MFC-101 and just two Mission pedals fit on. If I ever do go with the FC-12, I'll need to factor in the cost of a larger pedalboard and case as well, even if I trim back down to two expression pedals.

Another bonus is that with just 6 footswitches, I'm less likely to hit the wrong one in the middle of a song during a performance. (Something I'm kinda famous for with my band, lol.)

My only regret at this point is that the new FCs are not capable of calling up presets in setlist order like the MFC-101 can. (But I'd have that same issue if I had the FC-12.) I realize that's now an Axe-Fx issue, not an FC issue, and hope that it will be included in a future AFX firmware enhancement.

I was planning on getting the FC12, but got my invite for the FC6, so I ordered one. I've only used it for a few hours so far, so I'm still mulling around the possibilities in my head. I still haven't finished reading the manual.
Initial impressions:
It is very flexible, and fairly user friendly after seeing how the layouts and assignments work.
Using the FC6 requires a little forethought on preset design. For the presets I create/modify, the FC6 is fine. If you want to experience all the goodness of all 8 scenes of @Burgs "p006866_Fenders-Burgs.syx", you have to do a bit of dancing, but I can parse out the scenes to take advantage of the default layouts, or retool the layouts if that's how I decide to build my presets.
I bought an SKB 1SKB-R4U Roto Rack Case, not the shallow depth. If I place the protective shipping foam on the ends of the FC6, it fits snugly and securely in the case for transport. I might be able to make arrangements for an expression pedal as well. Plenty of room for cables too.

IMG_20190316_141231607.jpg IMG_20190316_141306380.jpg IMG_20190316_141415394.jpg

I just realized posting the full pics instead of thumbnails reminds me of typing in all caps.

Last edited:
I was planning on getting the FC12, but got my invite for the FC6, so I ordered one. I've only used it for a few hours so far, so I'm still mulling around the possibilities in my head. I still haven't finished reading the manual.
Initial impressions:
It is very flexible, and fairly user friendly after seeing how the layouts and assignments work.
Using the FC6 requires a little forethought on preset design. For the presets I create/modify, the FC6 is fine. If you want to experience all the goodness of all 8 scenes of @Burgs "p006866_Fenders-Burgs.syx", you have to do a bit of dancing, but I can parse out the scenes to take advantage of the default layouts, or retool the layouts if that's how I decide to build my presets.
I bought an SKB 1SKB-R4U Roto Rack Case, not the shallow depth. If I place the protective shipping foam on the ends of the FC6, it fits snugly and securely in the case for transport. I might be able to make arrangements for an expression pedal as well. Plenty of room for cables too.

View attachment 53355 View attachment 53356 View attachment 53357
Clever use of the SKB!

I'm a very simple player when it comes to my gigging band; One preset with a couple different different flavors of clean and dirty, and an acoustic preset.

Getting the FC6 has completely cured my GAS to get the 12, which I had originally intended to get. I may still get one down the road, but it'd most likely be just for home/jamming and, as someone above mentioned, for "unstructured" play. But for my 90's cover gig? The 6 is perfect and I don't even use one of the 6 buttons.

HI, I also just got the FC6 yesterday in that offer. So far it appears that this will fit my needs, one extra button push now and then. Wow, what a solid unit, I mean weight, build and of course function.

Just got the FC6 today (waitlist offer), but likely will not have time to work with it until the weekend. The wider switch spacing looks better compared to the MFC. Based off what other folks have been able to do I think it will handle 99% of anything I would want, but I will likely still get the FC12 too since $$$ don't do you any good when you're dead. :)

Just got the FC6 today (waitlist offer), but likely will not have time to work with it until the weekend. The wider switch spacing looks better compared to the MFC. Based off what other folks have been able to do I think it will handle 99% of anything I would want, but I will likely still get the FC12 too since $$$ don't do you any good when you're dead. :)
Agreed. I have the FC6 and you can do most things with work arounds.....but 12 would be ideal. Hoping the FC12's get released soon!

Back
Top Bottom