Just ordered my AxeFx II XL+ and MFC 101 today.

Well this ended up being the year I was finally satisfied with digital amp modeling enough to record with (mostly layering and overdubs over my analog amp basic tracks)...I got a Boss GT-100 and it was the first time in more than a decade (well...pretty much since as long as modeling has been around, actually) that I was able to mimic my Twin/Deluxe Reverb stereo setup to my liking with digital modeling (and I've used just about everything from about $1500 and under that was available).

Anyway, I figured if I was happy with the GT-100 maybe it was time to make the spend and see what Fractal Audio was all about in person. Lots of good clips out there but really you don't know until you've spent some time with a unit like that if it will work for you. So when the FX-8 came out I figured I'd use that as my gateway into Fractal Audio gear. I liked it...a lot. Then I heard The Edge replace his notoriously huge live rig at that Apple convention with just an AxeFx and it really pulled off his sound live. I figure if he can replace a rig like his with the AxeFx and still sound like himself live I could probably do the same...or at the very least get what I'm after in a recording situation.

So today I went all in. I'll probably be keeping my amp collection (it's pretty extensive) but I'll probably be clearing out a lot of my pedal collection and the Boss GT-100. Before I do I'll probably record some videos doing a/b comparisons of the GT-100 amp models with the same models in the AxeFx II XL+ since there doesn't seem to be many videos comparing the two and some folks may find them helpful.

I know the AxeFx II XL+ has been around for a bit but it's my understanding that the processing power is robust enough that any upgrades in software are likely to be handled by the hardware for quite some time. Hopefully I'm correct in this assumption and there is no AxeFX III around the corner...and if there is, hopefully it will be announced in the next 15 days. ;)

Well...I'm diving in...wish me luck. :D

I know the AxeFx II XL+ has been around for a bit but it's my understanding that the processing power is robust enough that any upgrades in software are likely to be handled by the hardware for quite some time. Hopefully I'm correct in this assumption and there is no AxeFX III around the corner...and if there is, hopefully it will be announced in the next 15 days. ;)

Well...I'm diving in...wish me luck. :D

Good luck, but you won't need it, this is going to be a fun ride. You're smart not to sell off you other gear, as the Axe Fx isn't an all or nothing proposition. Cliff (the designer of this magic box) probably has more amps at his place than anyone else! I still enjoy my amps at home, but the Axe Fx has completely replaced them all for performing. There is just no reason to lug all that weight around. Been using mine (started on the Ultra, now on the XL+) coming up on 5 years, hundreds and hundreds of gigs, and I am happier now than when I started.

And don't worry about the Axe Fx III, this one has years of expansion room left. Welcome to the FAS user family!

Rick is right. You won't need luck. You won't be able to do anything except blow your own mind. Over and over and over. I've been doing for well over three years. Best money I've ever spent. On anything. Welcome!

If you liked the GT-100...You will love your Axe Fx...I did not mind the GT-100, but it is not great when used without a guitar amp and 4C method. I sold mine off right away and bought a Digitech GSP 1101 which I actually got better results from than the Boss. But the new Axe XL I recently got my hands on (finally) is on a whole new level....Testifiy!

Ordered mine 1st of week.....should have had it by today.....paid for 2nd day air UPS.........but it's spinning around on some carousel in the Northeast for 2 days and UPS said I wouldn't get it until Tuesday now..........ugh..............

Took me over 3 years to decide, all those wasted hours, you're going to love it !!!
Every time I see your name, I have to do a double-take... I think I am seeing Smilefan. The guy was a really great forumite and contributor here, but had a professional conflict so he bowed out. Miss his insights. I don't know why but your nickname here makes me look!

Has absolutely nothing to do with the post, but welcome aboard!

;);)
Every time I see your name, I have to do a double-take... I think I am seeing Smilefan. The guy was a really great forumite and contributor here, but had a professional conflict so he bowed out. Miss his insights. I don't know why but your nickname here makes me look!

Has absolutely nothing to do with the post, but welcome aboard!

Well I hope I can live up to his legacy ;)

I've now got uncontrollable GAS for an MFC, completely irrational as I'm not currently gigging, but I want one !!

The capabilities of the Axe Fx, even at home, come alive with the floor pedal. I hesitate to say it's incomplete without it, but I would say it doesn't reach its performance potential until you add the MFC and an expression pedal or two. The cure for those GAS pains: take an MFC and call me in the morning!:D

Yeah...the MFC seemed like an essential piece for getting the most out of the AxeFx from what I've been reading so I figured it would be worth the spend.

I was kind of holding out to check out the Helix because of how it can interface with the Variax Standard and because of the UI but even though the amp models are better than previous Line 6 offerings I haven't heard anything in the clips and videos demoing it that sounded as good as or better than what I have heard from the AxeFx...in fact the only thing that would make me give up my GT-100 for the Helix is the user interface since both the GT-100 and the Helix have their tonal compromises. So spending $1400 just to get a better user interface than the GT-100 (which I use in my band song writing session room and in the studio and not live) just didn't make sense. If I'm going to make that kind of spend I am going to want to also be able to use it live (even live without an amp sometimes) and so far the AxeFx is the only unit that can do that credibly and with few if any compromises in my honest opinion.

Completely agree, though at moment difficult for me to justify the MFC having lost my job and having a relatively recently disabled fiancée.
I sold everything I had to get the Axe (best move I ever made), hmm still got 2 kidneys though.......

hmm still got 2 kidneys though.......
:)

Sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes, I hope the best both for your job search, and for your fiancee's health. Looks like you're already working the midi controller route, a good substitute. I used the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro prior to the MFC, and it had decent capability, external pedal inputs, and was reliable. I just peeked in on Ebay, and there are a few in the $150-165 bids range at the moment. When things improve for you a bit, this might be a direction to look!

Thank you for your kind words.
Yes I built a midi controller out of a broken 'midi-buddy' and an Arduino, just not got enough buttons, I added an extra 3 to get some looper control but need more haha. I'm sure something will show up, i'm actually full time carer for my partner at the moment but hopefully things should improve for her within a year so i'm sure things will sort themselves out.

Back
Top Bottom