Just ordered a Mimiq Doubler

The Mimiq emulates the sound of a doubled guitar, generating a second "take" that has slightly different dynamics and timing from the first. The enhancer (modern mode) applies filters to make the left and right channels sound different and produces a stereo effect, but it isn't intended to sound like a doubled guitar. Same goes for stereo pitch and chorus effects: they produce a stereo sound, but are not intended to sound like a doubled guitar. The Mimiq isn't perfect, but it's the best effect of its type available.

Have you compared the Mimiq to the Digitech Luxe, Glenn?

I haven't used a Luxe, but I wouldn't expect it to sound like a Mimiq. The Luxe is a unison effect. You can get that effect with the detune type in the pitch block.

So, detune and delay and filters are all different ways of achieving a semblance of "doubling?"

I'm not an expert, and have never used a Mimiq (only heard it), but IIRC the Pitch block in the Petrucci factory preset mimics the Mimiq.

I'm not an expert, and have never used a Mimiq (only heard it), but IIRC the Pitch block in the Petrucci factory preset mimics the Mimiq.
No, that preset does something very different than what a Mimiq does. But somebody always posts a comment like that whenever this topic comes up 😀. It’s an unfortunate misunderstanding. There’s a post above that describes the difference.

I have a mimiq and a deco... I like them both for home playing. for live gigs it has just been too much of a hassle to run stereo so they stay at home. The mimiq has an edge over the deco IMO for the double tracking effect. Whatever secret sauce they have really works.

No, that preset does something very different than what a Mimiq does. But somebody always posts a comment like that whenever this topic comes up 😀. It’s an unfortunate misunderstanding. There’s a post above that describes the difference.
+1 - Not the same as the Petrucci preset imo also, but yes, people seem to really want to believe it's the same 🤔. Closest I have gotten to my mimic is a 100% wet delay on one side only, with no feedback and delay time varying slowly (with lfo) between 20 and 30 ms (kind of a chorus I guess but I can't seem to get the same result with chorus). But still not quite the same to my ear - if I could vary that delay time randomly and smoothly between 20 - 30ms, then I think it would be closer.

As I've mentioned a few times here I think Mimiq works best operating in mono on one side only, 100% wet on that one side, and with one voice (preferably pre dual amps/cabs hard panned). I've tried my full stereo version of Mimiq in stereo mode and don't like the intermittant phasey thing it does. The much cheaper mono version mimiq pedal is best imo.

I've noticed no tone suck from mine, though I don't use it always on and I don't like having loops on to inactive external pedals generally.

Last edited:
+1 - Not the same as the Petrucci preset imo also, but yes, people seem to really want to believe it's the same 🤔. Closest I have gotten to my mimic is a 100% wet delay on one side only, with no feedback and delay time varying slowly (with lfo) between 20 and 30 ms (kind of a chorus I guess but I can't seem to get the same result with chorus). But still not quite the same to my ear - if I could vary that delay time randomly and smoothly between 20 - 30ms, then I think it would be closer.

As I've mentioned a few times here I think Mimiq works best operating in mono on one side only, 100% wet on that one side, and with one voice (preferably pre dual amps/cabs hard panned). I've tried my full stereo version of Mimiq in stereo mode and don't like the intermittant phasey thing it does. The much cheaper mono version mimiq pedal is best imo.

I've noticed no tone suck from mine, though I don't use it always on and I don't like having loops on to inactive external pedals generally.
Spirit good tip on using the Mimic in mono mode. Mine has been collecting dust and never could gel with it in stereo mode. It was not bad but not really worth the hassle of hooking up.

Do you use yours in a loop in the Axe FX Or do you use it inline? I am using a stereo power amp with stereo guitar cab so I will definitely give this a try.

Spirit good tip on using the Mimic in mono mode. Mine has been collecting dust and never could gel with it in stereo mode. It was not bad but not really worth the hassle of hooking up.

Do you use yours in a loop in the Axe FX Or do you use it inline? I am using a stereo power amp with stereo guitar cab so I will definitely give this a try.
In one side of loop3, before hardpanned amp blocks.

I posted my diy Mimiq patch with similar routing here for anyone inteested.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with my Mimic and I'm finding I get really great results now with 2 x enhancer blocks instead - it doesn't affect the tone so much as the mimic (which is what I have found). I think I'm preferring the 2 enhancers to the mimic if I'm honest. I don't necessarily care about a doubled effect or a detuned effect, I just want huge, big fat sound ;)

One after the cab block in classic mode, 100% wide and the other right at the end of the chain in Modern mode with the width and depth at default (50%).

Give it a go ...

Last edited:
I've been playing around with my Mimic and I'm finding I get really great results now with 2 x enhancer blocks instead - it doesn't affect the tone so much as the mimic (which is what I have found). I think I'm preferring the 2 enhancers to the mimic if I'm honest. I don't necessarily care about a doubled effect or a detuned effect, I just want huge, big fat sound ;)

One after the cab block in classic mode, 100% wide and the other right at the end of the chain in Modern mode with the width and depth at default (50%).

Give it a go ...
Interesting! - will try it.

Give it a go ...

? Any chance of posting a screenshot of your grid for this setup classic/modern ? not sure what you mean - thanks much

Back
Top Bottom