Just ordered a Matrix GT1000FX, need some help with the setup/cables

SOAWM

Inspired
Today I finally ordered a GT1000FX and I'm not sure yet how I will use and wire this setup. Since I'm pretty new to using a pre-amp with a seperate poweramp, I'd like to have some advice.

I will mainly use this setup to play through my 16 OHM 413 V30 cab. I think one channel of the Matrix will suffice, so in the future I'd like to go stereo. I'd like to experiment with using my cab in combination with a FRFR monitor. So one channel of the Matrix will push my cab (no cab sims) and the other channel will run into something like the new Matrix wedge (running cab sims and maybe a completely different chain in one patch).

I'd also like to have the ability to run a cab on stage and go straight to FOH from the Axe-Fx when there is a good PA provided.

How do I set this up?

Do I use output 1 from the Axe fx for the cab and output 2 for the monitor, or do I use output1L for cab and output1R for the monitor AND output2 for going FOH?

At home I use headphones a lot (which is linked to output1) but I guess there is no problem with keeping the Matrix plugged in when using headphones?

Thanks a lot! Really looking forward to running this kind of setup!

I am using two Marshall 4x12 cabs with my setup. Each cab can be setup for 16 ohms or 4 ohms use (I currently have them set at 16 ohms). I'm using each channel of the Matrix separately (1 channel into one Marshall cab, 2 channel into the other Marshall cab). Supposedly (and I haven't tried this yet), you can run any number of combinations and the Matrix automatically recognizes it. You can check with Matt but I think you could easily go into a cab and P.A. with no issues.

Thanks for the reply! I know the capabilities of the Matrix, but I'm more in doubt on the Axe-end.

- If I'd like to play stereo with two different amp models, do I use both the outputs of the Axe or do I use one output in stereo?
- What about should I use for the Matrix? Output one is balanced, but isn't that better to use when going straight to FOH? So I was thinking using output2L to one channel of the Matrix and output2R to the other. Output 1 would be used to go FOH and playing with headphones?

Is this the best way to set this up?

- If I'd like to play stereo with two different amp models, do I use both the outputs of the Axe or do I use one output in stereo?
To run stereo, all you need is one stereo output. Just remember to pan your amp sims right and left to keep them separate, and maintain that stereo separation through the cab and the rest of your post-amp effects.

- What about should I use for the Matrix? Output one is balanced, but isn't that better to use when going straight to FOH? So I was thinking using output2L to one channel of the Matrix and output2R to the other. Output 1 would be used to go FOH and playing with headphones?...Is this the best way to set this up?
That's a great way to go. You keep the balanced XLRs for FOH, where they're most likely to be needed. And you get separate level control for your hose feed and your stage volume, right from the front panel.

Reactions: yek
If I'd like to play stereo with two different amp models, do I use both the outputs of the Axe or do I use one output in stereo?

Why would you use two amp models in stereo?
If you use a cab in combination with the Matrix you probably want the cab sim of for your own sound (although it can also sound good with cab sim on!). If you go to FOH you can send a separate signal with cab sim on by using the send at the end of the effect chain. So you have your stage sound without cab sim and the sound for the FOH with cab sim on.
If that is what you want. Many people have this set up but I don't like this setup. When I play live I don't use the direct sound to go to the FOH. I just place two mics for my Mesa Thiele cabs. This way I know that the sound that goes to the FOH is the exact same sound that I am hearing. So it is easier for me to shape. Also I prefer the Matrix/cab sound to the direct sound.

If you use a cab in combination with the Matrix you probably want the cab sim of for your own sound (although it can also sound good with cab sim on!). If you go to FOH you can send a separate signal with cab sim on by using the send at the end of the effect chain. So you have your stage sound without cab sim and the sound for the FOH with cab sim on.
If that is what you want. Many people have this set up but I don't like this setup. When I play live I don't use the direct sound to go to the FOH. I just place two mics for my Mesa Thiele cabs. This way I know that the sound that goes to the FOH is the exact same sound that I am hearing. So it is easier for me to shape. Also I prefer the Matrix/cab sound to the direct sound.

How the mic hears your mesa cabinet is COMPLETELY different from how you hear your cab. If you want to know exactly (still wont be 100% but REALLY close) what goes to FOH you should use a high end floor wedge and send signal to FOH with the cab sims.

How the mic hears your mesa cabinet is COMPLETELY different from how you hear your cab. If you want to know exactly (still wont be 100% but REALLY close) what goes to FOH you should use a high end floor wedge and send signal to FOH with the cab sims.

But at least I know what signal goes into the mic. This makes it easier for me to shape the sound. If the sound that I am hearing is good than that is the best I can do. This is how guitar players with a 'normal' amp do it too. So there is no difference with Matrix/Axe/cab or 'normal' amp when you mic it.

I've use a Matrix GT800FX, and I have never looked back. I can say great things about them, but it was band mates who were more impressed with such a great sound coming out of a little box, and that was with a GSP 1101. They nearly fried when I put in the AF2.

Most of the times we're still playing small venues, so I'm not sure I will always have the chance to run direct... I just want to wire my rack so that I have all options available and so I don't have to switch cables when I am in sudden need of that option.

I'd experiment with two amp models in stereo so I can blend amps and try to make new sounds. It isn't necessary, but I'd just like to try it.

To run stereo, all you need is one stereo output. Just remember to pan your amp sims right and left to keep them separate, and maintain that stereo separation through the cab and the rest of your post-amp effects.

That's a great way to go. You keep the balanced XLRs for FOH, where they're most likely to be needed. And you get separate level control for your hose feed and your stage volume, right from the front panel.

Thanks mate! Balanced for FOH it is. My guitar tends to be prone to feedback, but I guess using an unbalanced connection to the Matrix won't induce extra feedback?

I'd experiment with two amp models in stereo so I can blend amps and try to make new sounds. It isn't necessary, but I'd just like to try it.
Two amps panned wide in stereo can sound huge. If FOH supports stereo, it could sound fantastic in the right venue (stereo can be tough to pull off properly for any but a select few in the audience). If FOH doesn't support stereo, then all that stereo lushness will be just for you. :)

My guitar tends to be prone to feedback, but I guess using an unbalanced connection to the Matrix won't induce extra feedback?
Nope. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom