Just ordered a Furman P-1800 AR for my AxeFx...overkill?

I have an old Furman AR-117 voltage regulator that I use for my tube amps. My AXE FX resides in that rack too. It does make a big difference since most venue power is crap. I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the US. Power surges and brownouts happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

It is heavy and expensive, but I know people (mostly had been on tour in Eastern Europe and South Asia) who WISH they'd had better protection than a cheap surge protector.

I had one in my rack a long time ago, for outside gigs (with bad power).
But don't make a mistake, it's incredibly heavy.
Think heavy, then multiply that, and it's even heavier that that.

I'm not too concerned about the weight...I'm fairly fit and can farmer carry an 80 pound kettle weight single-handed for quiet a long distance so a 50 pound rack setup isn't too bad. Plus I have a foldy rolly cart if I need to carry it really long distances. :)

Since I only have a few devices in my Rack, I will buy a small power conditioner and place it at the back.
Saves space, weights less. Should protect as well, just less outputs...

http://www.lite-magazin.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/131231.Furman6.jpg

I was thinking of doing that too but a power conditioner won't protect against irregular voltage or low voltage situations...just extreme voltage spikes. And the voltage on standard 120v lines can vary quite a bit...not just fluctuate but actually output less than 120 volts consistently which can cause issues with digital gear. In California it's not uncommon to get brown outs a few times a year during the summer months and on a couple of occasions I've measured the power coming out of the sockets of some of the clubs in my area that I have had power issues with...one was steadily putting out 116v. I mean, for a tube amp that can be repaired for a couple hundred bucks or even a $300-$700 multi effects unit, a surge protector seems fine but a $2400 piece of digital gear that you're relying on to replace all your amps and effects...surge protection alone didn't seem to feel like "protection" anymore.

Those are nice. I am a believer in voltage regulators. $8 bills+ is a large insurance policy, but the regulation part is nice, as it should cover you no matter where you are and how goofy the power is.

One thing Furman has done that I do NOT like is they moved the switch for the BNC lamp to the rear of the unit.

Look Furman, listen up. IF I need to get into the back of my rack, there is a reason, and I need to see what the heck I'm doing. If I need a lamp, it's because its dark and crowded back there. (I have a 10 space, and there's a lot of crap going on)
What freaking good does it do me to have a lamp, if I need damned flashlight to find the stupid switch to turn on the lamp? Dumbest thing ever. I actually had to replace one of my Furman units, and I bought an older model off ebay for this reason, as the switch used to be in front, where you could actually find and use it.:mad:

I don't play out, so use a 2u Furman at home (very heavy!)

The only thing to be aware of in the studio environment is that if you're playing within a metre or two of it, you might pick up interference through your guitar pickups.

Not directly related to use with axe but may i ask a question: in my house i realise when we use the hair dryer the lights dim a little....was just wondering if it would be good to buy a voltage regulator for my studio. I just have the cheap furman version (m8 x2).

I know nothing about electricity etc...but i know i love my studio :) any ideas, suggestions much appretiated.

Not directly related to use with axe but may i ask a question: in my house i realise when we use the hair dryer the lights dim a little....was just wondering if it would be good to buy a voltage regulator for my studio. I just have the cheap furman version (m8 x2).

I know nothing about electricity etc...but i know i love my studio :) any ideas, suggestions much appretiated.

A voltage regulator (not just a surge protector) would be helpful in the situation you have described. It will also help reduce line noise from things like hair dryers, refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc. from finding their way into your recordings. You may also consider some sort of balanced power setup if you can swing it. Balanced power solutions can be a little pricey but they're worth it if you're recording in an area where the power is particularly dirty. :)

Got a great deal on a used P 1800 AR.

Any issues with proximity noise placing the Furman in the rack space directly above the fractal with no air space?

So since I plan to use the AxeFx both in the studio and live (with a Matrix poweramp) I decided I should probably protect my investment with some sort of power conditioner. Surge protection is all well and good for extreme voltage situations but I know that less dramatic voltage fluctuations can cause computers to crash and since the AxeFx was kind of like a specific purpose computer maybe it was a good idea to also add some voltage regulation to the mix especially since my home is in an industrial area with a cookie factory up the road and considering how varied the electrical situation can be from club to club.

What are your thoughts...is the P-1800 overkill or would a higher end $200-400 surge protector have been sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your input. :)
Great investment! I have an older Furman Linear AC power PF-Pro R Power Station which is still going strong! Has kept my digital gear working when other band members had to reboot not to mention my peace of mind!

True...but I usually use large combos when I use tube amps. Sure, I'd have to bring cabs with the AxeFx but in terms of single things I'd be carrying it's still going to be less heavy than, say, a Twin...and lighter than the SuperBassman 300 tube head I bring with me on bass gigs. :)
yeah who cares what it weighs let the roadie worry about it!

So since I plan to use the AxeFx both in the studio and live (with a Matrix poweramp) I decided I should probably protect my investment with some sort of power conditioner. Surge protection is all well and good for extreme voltage situations but I know that less dramatic voltage fluctuations can cause computers to crash and since the AxeFx was kind of like a specific purpose computer maybe it was a good idea to also add some voltage regulation to the mix especially since my home is in an industrial area with a cookie factory up the road and considering how varied the electrical situation can be from club to club.

What are your thoughts...is the P-1800 overkill or would a higher end $200-400 surge protector have been sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your input. :)
Hi SB - you're right to protect your AXE from the nasties that may appear down the power supply!
The AXE is an expensive computer basically and needs all the protection it can get especially if moving it from gig to gig or rehearsal rooms etc. I've had mine freeze up and had to reboot several times in some gigs so now I use a UPS by APC to power it and my laptop which has Axe-Edit living on it. Gives perfect smooth power with protection built-in for over voltage and very importantly under-voltage (brown-out).
No problems since plus even if the power at a gig gets cut completely for whatever reason there's the facility to shut down the AXE etc properly when the UPS switches to battery. Furman have upgraded their gear lately and might include UPS in their more expensive models but previously they were very basic things that a cheap anti-surge connector strip could do a lot cheaper.
Anyway, you can't have too much protection is the Mantra here!

I live in TX where the weather periodically tries to kill you. Sounds like a good investment to me. Even if you were just hanging out at the Surrealistic Brillo pad, it is still a good idea to protect your gear.

Back
Top Bottom