Just More Praise For The Axe III, and its Factory Presets

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I generally gravitate to the higher-gain tones with Chorus & Delay, so after thoroughly wringing out the Triple Crest preset, I'm now currently loving the Rackmount Preamps X2. I don't need 2 amp-presets, but damn this one sounds great! I probably like these types of sounds from my days of using the ADA MP-1, with its built-in chorus splitting the signal into stereo, and there are so many in the III that you don't really have to do anything to. The Spandex & Hairspray and the Meatloaf are 2 other favorites.
But another aspect about the III (and probably pertains to the FM3 & 9 as well) that I notice, is that pretty much all the different amp presets just sound good!! Even if they're not the particular flavor you want, they're probably just right for someone.

The other thing I want to mention is regarding people asking for other amps to be modeled, like the Badlander, the MP-1, etc. I truly think there is a sound in here for everyone, at this point. Especially when you consider that you can dial up dual amps, substitute different tone stacks (try that if you haven't yet), and go crazy with different EQ's, all inside the amp block. I also like taking the parts of one preset I like, for example, that gain is just what I want, but I like how the delay & chorus sound in another preset, so I'll put those 2 sounds together. That's how I go about tweaking, because I know what I like when I hear it, but not necessarily how to tweak the settings to get it.

In short, coming up on a year with the III, I'm still so impressed with it, even the presets as they are, right "out of the box," so to speak. I've never been able to say that about any other piece of gear I've owned. The shine either wore off after about 6 months, or I was never quite satisfied with my presets, always tweaking. But not now. I've taken about 10 factory presets, adjusted them slightly, and stored them in a different location, and I probably have enough to cover any sort of tone I'd ever need.

Wow. Just..., wow. :guitar:+:pager:=:)

Totally agree with you!

I've not delved deeply into the presets and setup at all since 2018 or so, and with the arrival of my new III-T this week, I decided that I would not upload previous presets, and start from scratch. This would be a good way, I reasoned, to address things that haven't been right but also haven't been bothersome enough to fix. I've updated here and there for the benefit of sound improvements, but not put time into the infrastructure stuff. Well, let me tell you: if there was ever a time where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was dead wrong, the last couple of years were it. I've missed a bunch of HUGE things. The kinds of things I actually missed in the Axe FX compared to lesser units with aspects of the interface that were more suited to how I used them.

I don't know how many times I've said "wow" or some less repeatable expressions of mind-blown-ness in the last 24 hours. Not having fully explored the inner sanctums of the III Mk I, its hard to say how much is new and how much is just new to me. Either way, for my purposes, there's a lot of things available that I wasn't using, and that I will be using going forward. Genuinely "quality of life" player experience things.

That's all without even addressing the blocks themselves... gadzooks! I intended to work through bank B of presets today. But I fired the unit up on preset 0017 AC-20 Deluxe, and 3 hours later, I'm still there. The quality of the tone is astoundingly good, and reflects the differences of every guitar I plug in. I'm almost happy I have no gigs on the horizon. What a great time to rebuild and refine my setup.

But, yes... those who wipe the box and put their own stuff in, never listening to the presets, are missing out on a chance for inspiration. A chance to learn how these incredible sounds are crafted. A golden opportunity to learn why all those controls are in there and what they do. It's a free Master Class in 384 lessons!

Totally agree with you!

Well, let me tell you: if there was ever a time where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was dead wrong, the last couple of years were it. I've missed a bunch of HUGE things.
I've had to eat my words, back when I said I couldn't see the need to update past Cygnus dropping. ;)
Once I heard Leon using the new delays, I just had to update. And to a beta version at that. Which I swore I'd never do. haha

I intended to work through bank B of presets today. But I fired the unit up on preset 0017 AC-20 Deluxe, and 3 hours later, I'm still there. The quality of the tone is astoundingly good...
That's funny, and so true. I've gone looking for some type of really full-sounding stereo delay, only to land on the 3rd preset I checked out, and yes, 3 hours later..., wait, wasn't I looking for something? Oh yeah, a delay, that I had just added into the preset I was playing, and only adjusted the Mix a bit. It's that good!

But, yes... those who wipe the box and put their own stuff in, never listening to the presets, are missing out on a chance for inspiration. A chance to learn how these incredible sounds are crafted. A golden opportunity to learn why all those controls are in there and what they do. It's a free Master Class in 384 lessons!
Couldn't agree more. There's been several posts where I've been tempted to say, "Have you at least listened to the factory presets yet," but decided, they'll notice them. I also have yet to even feel the slightest tug toward downloading anything commercial, presets or IR's. I really believe if I can't find something I like in 384 presets, and 2237 cabs, something's wrong with my ears. (Just me.)

Yes... the "factory presets are worthless, and I delete them all" followed by "how do you set the compressor?"/"what settings do you use on that multi-delay?","how does the pitch thingy work?" etc. Throwing away the road map and asking for directions. Kinda crazy.

I generally gravitate to the higher-gain tones with Chorus & Delay, so after thoroughly wringing out the Triple Crest preset, I'm now currently loving the Rackmount Preamps X2. I don't need 2 amp-presets, but damn this one sounds great! I probably like these types of sounds from my days of using the ADA MP-1, with its built-in chorus splitting the signal into stereo, and there are so many in the III that you don't really have to do anything to. The Spandex & Hairspray and the Meatloaf are 2 other favorites.
But another aspect about the III (and probably pertains to the FM3 & 9 as well) that I notice, is that pretty much all the different amp presets just sound good!! Even if they're not the particular flavor you want, they're probably just right for someone.

The other thing I want to mention is regarding people asking for other amps to be modeled, like the Badlander, the MP-1, etc. I truly think there is a sound in here for everyone, at this point. Especially when you consider that you can dial up dual amps, substitute different tone stacks (try that if you haven't yet), and go crazy with different EQ's, all inside the amp block. I also like taking the parts of one preset I like, for example, that gain is just what I want, but I like how the delay & chorus sound in another preset, so I'll put those 2 sounds together. That's how I go about tweaking, because I know what I like when I hear it, but not necessarily how to tweak the settings to get it.

In short, coming up on a year with the III, I'm still so impressed with it, even the presets as they are, right "out of the box," so to speak. I've never been able to say that about any other piece of gear I've owned. The shine either wore off after about 6 months, or I was never quite satisfied with my presets, always tweaking. But not now. I've taken about 10 factory presets, adjusted them slightly, and stored them in a different location, and I probably have enough to cover any sort of tone I'd ever need.

Wow. Just..., wow. :guitar:+:pager:=:)
I can‘t agree more on that.
I could do a gig only with using the stock presets and it would sound awesome.
There are much much more awesomeness to discover, I just love this unit.

Back
Top Bottom