Just made the switch from fw9 to fw10.05, too much 'grain' in the gain?

Larcher

Inspired
So I've decided to bite the bullet and go with fw10, I've played around a bit with the amps, I play 95% metal with the axefx, every amp sim I've tried, has too much grain in the gain, if that makes any sense. I'm use to the FW9 having a tight gain that doesn't distort my playing. My gain knob is only at 2 also.. Am I missing something? o.0

but by doing this you are essentially defeating what makes the new firmware what it is.....so you may as well roll back....

but by doing this you are essentially defeating what makes the new firmware what it is.....so you may as well roll back....

Well, the reality is that firmware updates have lots more to do then just the modeling code. You've got new amps, Cabs, controls, CPU usage, not to mention the actual updating of old amps and how they are modeled.

After reading the multitude of posts regarding FW 10, as well as being mostly a metal/progressive player myself, I cannot see switching from FW 9.02. Not that I think 10 would be necessarily bad sounding, as so many of you are enjoying it, but there seems to be more glitches and complaints than I can get past. As long as lots of folks are happy with it that's all that matters.

I totally get what you mean :) As others have stated, there are new amps and new options to tamper with! I've now got my sound back, but I might still switch back to 9.02, I'll have to do more testing however :)

What amp sim are you using? I use primarily high gain as well and I just switch amps and poof. I could get my tone back.

After reading the multitude of posts regarding FW 10, as well as being mostly a metal/progressive player myself, I cannot see switching from FW 9.02. Not that I think 10 would be necessarily bad sounding, as so many of you are enjoying it, but there seems to be more glitches and complaints than I can get past. As long as lots of folks are happy with it that's all that matters.

The negativity in this forum around each firmware release used to discourage me so badly I did not upgrade for a year. However after taking the V9 & V10 firmware and judging for myself I think some times the views expressed here are a little over the top.

Really, I think its just a matter of time before Fractal makes it a breaze to have both worlds and per preset.

I mean, consider the track record.

I love fw10. Amps sound more alive and it's better than 9 for pretty much everything. BUT, it was definitely the hardest FW release from which to coax badass metal tones. No doubt about it. I have what I think to be a badass metal tone now but it took me weeks of fiddling before I got that BITE and grip that I was used to in the idealized metal amps in 9. I won't revert now as I think I'm onto something but there was a time I thought I would. Glad I stuck with it.

Heh, I still use the v8 modeling. It sounds so damned good I didn't upgrade to 10. I only went to v9 for scenes.

Back
Top Bottom